This year in Astronomy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 12:07 PM
This year in Astronomy
Some days I just sit back and can't help but be awe inspired by this universe.
And some of the more fascinating things are happening this year.

We already had the conjunction of Jupiter and Venus a couple months ago.
Plus, the "Super Moon" a few weeks ago.
This weekend, we have the first Solar Eclipse of this century that's visible to most of the US.
It will be the first I have witnessed.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/05...ar-eclipse

And just a couple weeks from now, there is the transit of Venus on June 5th
http://www.transitofvenus.org/

I'm quite simply excited by the prospect that I have the chance to witness these events!
If there's anything else of astronomical significance that I haven't mentioned, please let me know.

Joe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Alph4Omega's post
18-05-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: This year in Astronomy
Thanks for this post!

Although I'm passionate about the Astronomy, admittedly, I'm horrible at keeping track of these types of current events. Blush

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
18-05-2012, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2012 01:37 PM by germanyt.)
In related news, Samsungs new Galaxy III for Verizon (other android phones might do this as well) comes with Google Sky. It let's you point your phone in any direction and the screen gives you a cosmic map showing what stars/planets you are looking at. I played with it the other night on my cousin's phone. I give it an A++++.

I'm extremely bummed I won't see the eclipse from where I live. I wonder if I'll even see a partial.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-05-2012, 02:29 PM
(18-05-2012 01:32 PM)germanyt Wrote:  In related news, Samsungs new Galaxy III for Verizon (other android phones might do this as well) comes with Google Sky. It let's you point your phone in any direction and the screen gives you a cosmic map showing what stars/planets you are looking at. I played with it the other night on my cousin's phone. I give it an A++++.

I'm extremely bummed I won't see the eclipse from where I live. I wonder if I'll even see a partial.
I just checked the webpage for that app, pretty cool
There's a great app that I use with my iPhone, I don't know if it's available for any other phones though.
It's called SkyView, for a free version it's just outstanding

It looks like you may get lucky, the map shows that it's a partial eclipse through most, but the eastern seaboard
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/14...14770.html