Thomas Jefferson & Monticello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Thomas Jefferson & Monticello
I am hoping someone here is familiar with his history.

My kids are 8 & 10 years old. I am planning a visit to Monticello when they go on spring break in the next month. I wanted to get the 'cliff notes' version of of his history before going so that we could look into certain things a bit closer when we visit.

I know a bits and pieces about him
-large library, botany, finance troubles, slave owner,

I was hoping someone could provide tips or pointers on things not to miss while we are there, or direct me to some resources that I can get thru quickly. Or even just discuss here.

thanks!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 10:51 AM
RE: Thomas Jefferson & Monticello
(18-02-2014 10:38 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am hoping someone here is familiar with his history.

My kids are 8 & 10 years old. I am planning a visit to Monticello when they go on spring break in the next month. I wanted to get the 'cliff notes' version of of his history before going so that we could look into certain things a bit closer when we visit.

I was hoping someone could provide tips or pointers on things not to miss while we are there, or direct me to some resources that I can get thru quickly. Or even just discuss here.

thanks!

The Wikipedia entry is quite good.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 08:02 PM
(18-02-2014 10:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 10:38 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am hoping someone here is familiar with his history.

thanks!

The Wikipedia entry is quite good.

Thanks I will check it out.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-02-2014, 05:37 AM
I visited Monticello years ago as a little kid. From that experience, it seemed OK, I guess.

I think the in depth stuff about Jefferson can only be experienced from reading about his life, at this point. However, the geography and history of that part of Virginia might be worth studying if you want to investigate why he kept slaves, etc. Or maybe just to get a more visceral feel about him.
25-02-2014, 06:36 AM
I've been there twice as a kid. It's not far from here (only about an hour or so), so it's a favorite field trip destination around these parts. I don't remember the specifics; just how beautiful it is there. The house and the property both. Dude had a nice pad.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2014, 08:21 AM
(25-02-2014 06:36 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I've been there twice as a kid. It's not far from here (only about an hour or so), so it's a favorite field trip destination around these parts. I don't remember the specifics; just how beautiful it is there. The house and the property both. Dude had a nice pad.

Same here except I can't remember anything at all about it. I have been to both Monticello and Mt Vernon several times but I have no memories of the places at all.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-02-2014, 01:47 PM
(25-02-2014 08:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 06:36 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I've been there twice as a kid. It's not far from here (only about an hour or so), so it's a favorite field trip destination around these parts. I don't remember the specifics; just how beautiful it is there. The house and the property both. Dude had a nice pad.

Same here except I can't remember anything at all about it. I have been to both Monticello and Mt Vernon several times but I have no memories of the places at all.

I went to Mt Vernon once.

What struck me the most was that for some reason there was a significantly disproportionate number of morbidly obese people there.

[Image: giphy.gif]
01-03-2014, 12:04 AM
http://www.monticello.org

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
[+] 1 user Likes Drich's post