Thomas Kinkade, Artist to Mass Market, Dies at 54

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Thomas Kinkade, Artist to Mass Market, Dies at 54
I cannot, for the life of me, understand how this guy gets such a high billing for his obituary.

[Image: OBIT-KINKADE-articleLarge.jpg]

This is titled, "Church in the Forest," according to the NYTimes obit. Basically, he is a Christian proselytizer artist, and I noticed his popularity in the late nineties, after I was dismissed from Art School, for attention deficit relapse.

Anyway, he proclaims himself, "the artist of light," but fails to explain that he is an artist who exaggerates light, as this image is a typical example. Imagine how many candles it would require to create the amount of light emanating from the windows and lamp?

Any art critic would cringe at having to explain why his artwork is less worthy than Bob Ross's work - I have never seen original Bob Ross, and I tend to believe that his work is probably worthy of critical acclaim because of the amount of work and the conditions of doing them under the constraint of the television performance, but I need to look at some of the original work.

Anyway, this particular work by Kinkade is especially awkward in that it's really a church in a flood plane; and I am sure that is why the NYTimes ran it.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
RE: Thomas Kinkade, Artist to Mass Market, Dies at 54
Did all the lights go off in his paintings?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I wasn't aware. He's actually my favorite painter (current). Not that I'm exposed to many. In the wrong light though each one is just another painting.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I always thought he painted pictures to be made into puzzles till I saw a print of his at someone's house recently. I actually looked to see if they had framed a completed puzzle. I had no idea he was considered a serious artist.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-04-2012, 09:24 AM
(09-04-2012 09:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I always thought he painted pictures to be made into puzzles till I saw a print of his at someone's house recently. I actually looked to see if they had framed a completed puzzle. I had no idea he was considered a serious artist.
He was the 'painter of light'. Lighting is crucial to his paintings. The sunsets, windows, etc glow in dim light making the picture come alive. I've been to several of his galleries. He's pretty damn good.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I know now that he was a respected artist, I just hadn't seen his work before except on puzzles. Like I have said, I learn something new everyday here.

I am not downing him, just saying that I didn't know.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-04-2012, 09:35 AM
(09-04-2012 09:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I know now that he was a respected artist, I just hadn't seen his work before except on puzzles. Like I have said, I learn something new everyday here.

I am not downing him, just saying that I didn't know.
Just adding to the convo. Didn't mean it to sound like I was defending his work.

-Mark Twain
09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
(07-04-2012 01:53 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Anyway, this particular work by Kinkade is especially awkward in that it's really a church in a flood plane; and I am sure that is why the NYTimes ran it.
For the same reason you are here on TheThinkingAtheist?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
13-04-2012, 02:23 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/brother-painter-ki...57680.html

-Mark Twain
16-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I heard that alcoholism report this morning on the Mike Gallagher, and then I had to listen to him dispute the criticism that I share with art critics about Kinkade's work. Gallagher was not compelling to change my opinion, but upon following the link you provided I found this, and if there are further examples of this type of illustration of Americana then I will suggest that he had quality work.
[Image: 9b360d02dec227090c0f6a706700c9d1.jpg]

This is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and it has some interesting concepts being explored.

I would like to see the completed city scape that he is pictured working on in this photo; the blurred structure behind Kinkade is the ice rink at Rockefeller Center, and you can see he has begun work on a tree, but he is not facing the Christmas Tree - so what is he doing???

[Image: smkinkade-02-jpg-010712-jpg_154849.jpg]

His wearing a glove is probably an artist's conundrum pose, because if you need to wear gloves, to bear the weather, you'd probably only go so far as a surgical glove. But he is not going to be doing any detail work with that big brush so maybe it is valid, or whatever.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post