Thorn from Jesus's crucifixion crown' goes on display at British Museum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Thorn from Jesus's crucifixion crown' goes on display at British Museum
[Image: article-1369424-0B4BD8A500000578-659_468x653.jpg]
Precious: The relic, said to be a thorn from Jesus's crown, has been kept at Stonyhurst College, in Clitheroe, Lancashire, for the last 200 years. The thorn has Mary Queen of Scots's pearls twined around it

[Image: article-1369424-0B4BD8A500000578-505_235x277.jpg]
The Crown of Thorns is said to have been seized from Constantinople, the imperial capital of the Roman Empire, in the Fourth Crusade - around AD 1200
(Full Article)
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 04:12 PM
RE: Thorn from Jesus's crucifixion crown' goes on display at British Museum
So what if they found part of his hat. Big deal. Doesn't mean he walked on water to stop us burning.
And how do they know it was part of his hat? Did they do scientific tests?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Mary Queen of Scot's pearls are more valuable, given they actually can be proven to have been hers. While their being included with this thorn doesn't make a lot of sense.
This is a single thorn. My question is what happened to the whole crown of? Someone took pliers and broke off a thorn from the crown of thorns and said to themselves, over 2000 years ago, I'll hold on to this because one day it'll be worth a fortune!? Tongue

The faithful will believe anything. To Fundy Christians this just lends proof JC did exist. While asking, what happened to the rest of the crown that would lend more evidence and could be tested for his blood DNA today? Hardly occurs to them.
25-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Can they draw some DNA from a trace of blood on the thorn and conclusively prove that it was jesus' blood, as GK just mentioned? Can they prove that the thorn is actually of the same time period when jesus supposedly lived?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I think I've got 100 foreskins from the old Testament as commanded by God. I'm sure it's in a box in my garage somewhere.

I get some people need these symbols but why keep pretending they're real? Like the shroud of Turin. That thing has been debunked already and people still want to believe in it.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
27-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Article says "King Louis kept the religious relic in the specially-built Saint Chapel and thorns were broken off from the crown and given to people who married into the family as gifts." Seems like a sacrilege to defile and destroy a religious artifact like that. Wonder if King Louis will be a new target for xtian ire? "Your damn Frenchy king broke the crown of thorns!" Anyone else see more freedom fries in the future?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
27-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I am sure that the styrofoam cup that jesus drank from will show up soon.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-03-2011, 04:26 PM
(27-03-2011 02:55 PM)No J. Wrote:  I am sure that the styrofoam cup that jesus drank from will show up soon.
I never thought that a quality of the holy grail would be it's lack of biodegradability Big Grin Indiana Jones definitely got it wrong.

27-03-2011, 07:47 PM

See that's the thing about King Louis, which is why this single thorn still doesn't make sense. And that breaking the crown up and handing out the thorns sounds like BS.

It's the crown of thorns that adorned Christs head at the time of his crucifixion. One would think a Monarch deemed smart enough to rule an empire, blood right not withstanding, would have the dog sense enough to think to himself, hey! This is the crown that Jesus wore I think I'll keep it in tact because it's the full on crown Jesus wore!

Given a real king would know the import of a crown, and all.
But since I can buy a crown of thorns bush at the local Home Depot, which means there was every chance they were growing wild around France at the time, what a great ruse to reinforce the united power and authority of the crown and the church at the time of Louis reign. The French King hands out pieces of Jesus crown of thorns to special people! (Because only an idiot breaks up the crown that was worn by a Hebrew Demigod!)

Do you think that would have endeared him to all those who received the gift? Idea
27-03-2011, 08:14 PM
If it's even known to be from that era. The article didn't mention any attempts made to date the thorn. The age of the pearls is inconsequential, they could have been added two weeks ago for all we know. I think it's a fair guess to say that if an attempt was made to date the thorn (not that I even know if that's possible with how little material it's made up of) the theists would cry foul because you're destroying the thorn off a crown that was already destroyed...

Any who even thought to save the crown of thorns anyway? I don't remember anything about it in the bible, I would think if one of Jesus's followers had done so it would have been mentioned. And if it was some random civilian, why would they save it? "Hey, I think that dude is going to be big news someday"