Those Wacky Christians; A Primer on Being Evangelized to - Part 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Those Wacky Christians; A Primer on Being Evangelized to - Part 1
Part 1 - Could God Exist outside of Your Sphere of Knowledge?

CLAIM:

This is a favorite Christian strategy. Since no human can know everything (there is a finite amount of knowledge an individual's brain can accumulate over a lifetime), it stands to reason that God might exist outside on any induvidual's sphere of knowledge.

ASSUMPTIONS:

1) The bible is the true, factual, non-contradicting word of God and cannot be questioned - ever.

2) I believe that the bible is true and this Atheist does not. Therefore he/she must not know some nugget of knowledge that I do.

3) Since most people are pretty rational and susceptible to cultural norms about not challenging the validity of the Bible, I can use it as a crutch to support my weak claims.

4) I'll use a watered down form of logic and reason which picks apart this poor guy's (supposed) position that a god could NEVER exist while not allowing my own beliefs to be exposed to reason and analysis, which would show them to be utterly fraudulent.

5) Atheism is, in fact, a human religion that states that a god ABSOLUTELY cannot exist.

CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE ARGUMENT:

Atheism (if there is such a thing; it’s like calling me a non-golfer or Tim Tebow a non-professional basketball player) is not a definitive truth in and of itself (unlike religion, though religious people think it is). It is simply a response to a given claim. Religion is the only entity pimping an absolute truth. Atheism states you can't ever know that, but based on the evidence of claim presented, there is no rational reason to believe it. Yes, God might exist there. So might Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Unicorns (those are vindicated in your bible, too), The Flying Spaghetti Monster, and Bridge Trolls. And lets not forget about Zeus, or Wotan, or Baal, or Horus. They lie outside of your [the evangelist’s] sphere of knowledge, so it’s reasonable to assume that they do as well. Don’t let them trick you into thinking that since you don’t believe in their god, that they aren’t willing to apply the same standards of rational thinking they use on non-biblical fairy tales to Jesus Christ. This also is a way to allude that the bible, and the bible’s god, are exempt from this kind of critical analysis. You have to pull them out of their myopia by pointing this out to them. In turn they quickly run to the virtue of faith - believing in the unseen and untestable. Point out to them that they can have faith that they can fly by flapping their arms and extend an invitation for them to test this by taking a nosedive off the roof of your house.

So why are there so many people who believe? This alludes that the majority MUST be onto something because they believe in a god. Too easy. A lot of people believe horoscopes and psychics can reveal critical information for their lives. They believe some idiot on TV can channel the dead and charges $3,500 a session for it. A lot of people drink and use drugs, so therefore it’s reasonable to assume they must have found something true and beneficial in drug abuse. A lot of people believe Snooki – SNOOKI – is a fucking role model. Popular or in majority favor does NOT mean right. Point out as well that the evangelist would agree with those statements, so why does he/she think that Jesus Christ isn't the same sort of irrelevant fallacy?

Now on to Psalm 14:1 – “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’” Again here, you need to point out that this come out of a book using circular logic to vindicate itself, so even if the Bible made the statement “There is no God and you’re foolish NOT to believe that.” doesn’t make it any more relevant. A chain of logic is only as strong as each of its links. If one is weak and breaks, the whole chain fails. The key kernel of fallacy about the Bible is that it is just circular. Therefore it alone cannot validate any argument. This asinine verse also preys upon people’s fear of humiliation to challenge it. Remember, you are on the side of reason and logic -a side with a proven track record of accomplishments and real miracles which have benefited humanity tremendously. They are the ones with the bronze age book promoting moral positions such as the ownership of slaves and medical cures like washing 7 times in the Jordan River will cure leprosy. THEY think humans are evil because our ancestors were duped into eating forbidden, magical fruit BY A FUCKING TALKING SNAKE!!!!! Who’s the REAL fool in this scenario?

CONCLUSION:

This argument is irrelevant without so substantive proof of God's existence outside of the circular bible or the Evangelist's own beliefs. NEXT!!!!!!!!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-05-2012, 11:05 AM
RE: Those Wacky Christians; A Primer on Being Evangelized to - Part 1
To answer this theist's assertions:
My open-mindedness lead me to discovery that there is now reason to believe that a god created the universe and humans. If I were closed minded I would probably be making videos like this one and believing arguments like this were valid.

Her argument (fallacy) is basically this:
If human knowledge is limited, then god could exist outside the scope of human knowledge.
Human knowledge is limited, therefore god does exist.

Counter argument:
If human knowledge is limited, then {anything} could exist outside the scope of human knowledge.
Human knowledge is limited, therefore {anything} could exist.

It is irrational to believe anything exists outside of human knowledge, until it is discovered and becomes part of human knowledge.
It is irrational to believe that god exists, until god is discovered to exist. Yes

If god does exist outside of human knowledge how does she know that god exists? Dodgy

Wouldn't that be beyond her ability to know? Sad

It appears that she can only claim to believe to know, which is irrational.
She claims it to be irrational to not believe something outside of human knowledge simple because so many others believe it. No

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
19-05-2012, 03:51 PM
There are infinite possibilities outside my circle of knowledge, only one of which is her world view, and many that have way more proof than her world view, which has no proof to date. The approach can be used to disprove her position just as easily.
Of note: she said "if there should be a god", then changed it to "could be a god" at 3:33. (1/2 of 6:66.... that must mean something).

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
19-05-2012, 04:53 PM
(19-05-2012 03:51 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  There are infinite possibilities outside my circle of knowledge, only one of which is her world view, and many that have way more proof than her world view, which has no proof to date. The approach can be used to disprove her position just as easily.
Of note: she said "if there should be a god", then changed it to "could be a god" at 3:33. (1/2 of 6:66.... that must mean something).
Don't know...May be...Could be...Should be...Must be...Is No
That's the ticket.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
20-05-2012, 09:26 AM
(19-05-2012 03:51 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  There are infinite possibilities outside my circle of knowledge, only one of which is her world view, and many that have way more proof than her world view, which has no proof to date. The approach can be used to disprove her position just as easily.
She's a half-wit?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
20-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Isn't it hypocritical for christans to say "why don't you let us believe what we want" when as soon as they find out someone is an atheist, they immediately try to convert them?
20-05-2012, 06:34 PM
(20-05-2012 05:56 PM)lucysky Wrote:  Isn't it hypocritical for christans to say "why don't you let us believe what we want" when as soon as they find out someone is an atheist, they immediately try to convert them?
Part of their belief is to convert the unbeliever. They want the right to believe what they want. I don't see this as hypocritical so much as just part of the irrational belief position.
Non-believers should be burned at the stake was the old way. The new way is to get on the internet and preach to the atheists. They probably long for the old days.

The idea that someone doesn't believe their god exists is a threat to their beliefs. I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me that they need other believers confirmations and conversions of non-believers to make them secure. When a hardened non-believer is present they feel threatened and must engage. The emotional portion of the brain is very powerful and drives people to do things completely irrational and believe things completely irrational.

Irrational arguments and irrational beliefs seem quite good bedfellows.

21-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Ok I see.
21-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I would just ask that woman to show me her god, to give me the knowledge she has that proves she is right because I'm a seeker of truth and therefor I require evidence first before I believe in something. I'm fully aware it's possible there could be a superiour being outside of my knowledge but there's a difference between having the knowledge and just filling in the blanks of your lack of knowledge with your own fantasy.

chan chan ki sikin aman