Those crazy satanists are up to it again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Those crazy satanists are up to it again.
The fundies are too stupid to understand let alone anticipate the unintended consequences of their idiocy.

Hobby Lobby Decision Backfiring as Satanists Turn the Tables

"It seems of all sources, new litigation may be forth coming from an organization of satanists or satan worshipers known as the “Satanic Temple”. They are planning on using the recent Supreme Court ruling in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby to argue for their own sense of “religious freedom”, making the case that their members who seek abortions in states that have state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material, should be exempt from doing that based on religious grounds."

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-12-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Those crazy satanists are up to it again.
Woo hoo!! Laugh out load go, satanist, go! Clap

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
(03-12-2014 07:01 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Woo hoo!! Laugh out load go, satanist, go! Clap

By claiming to be a religion, albeit a satirical one (shhh, don't tell the Supreme Court), they are in a better position to pursue legal options than atheists are.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-12-2014, 07:52 PM
(03-12-2014 07:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 07:01 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Woo hoo!! Laugh out load go, satanist, go! Clap

By claiming to be a religion, albeit a satirical one (shhh, don't tell the Supreme Court), they are in a better position to pursue legal options than atheists are.

Aren't ALL religions satirical? Tongue
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
03-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Fuck I love these guys.
It's a win-win. If they win than that pro-life material is effectively shot down and if they lose they effectively reverse the legislation established by the Hobby Lobby case.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
04-12-2014, 07:32 AM
(03-12-2014 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They are planning on using the recent Supreme Court ruling in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby to argue for their own sense of “religious freedom”, making the case that their members who seek abortions in states that have state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material, should be exempt from doing that based on religious grounds."

While I fully applaud pointing out how ridiculous the decision was, I don't think the Satanists are making a comparable claim. HL involved an employer being required to pay for something that conflicted with his/her religious beliefs. The Satanists aren't employing these people or paying to provide the materials in question.

If this is dismissed it doesn't affect the HL decision; if it is upheld then in some ways it actually strengthens the HL decision by providing even more precedent for religious exemptions to laws.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-12-2014, 07:45 AM
I Heart the Satanists.

Their sense of humor, their extreme in your face statues, the creativity in twisting the laws that were intended to stop them to their (and our) advantage.

they are the definition of "careful whatcha wish for" Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
04-12-2014, 08:04 AM
(04-12-2014 07:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They are planning on using the recent Supreme Court ruling in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby to argue for their own sense of “religious freedom”, making the case that their members who seek abortions in states that have state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material, should be exempt from doing that based on religious grounds."

While I fully applaud pointing out how ridiculous the decision was, I don't think the Satanists are making a comparable claim. HL involved an employer being required to pay for something that conflicted with his/her religious beliefs. The Satanists aren't employing these people or paying to provide the materials in question.

If this is dismissed it doesn't affect the HL decision; if it is upheld then in some ways it actually strengthens the HL decision by providing even more precedent for religious exemptions to laws.

If it is upheld, could it require an employer to provide contraceptives to an employee whose religious convictions condone their use?
Hypothetical:
Let's say the Satanists were to add to their beliefs the devine command of population control by contraception and/or abortion. Would they have a case?
I am not by any stretch a lawyer, just asking questions.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Bravo Satanists!

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
04-12-2014, 08:11 AM
(04-12-2014 08:04 AM)pablo Wrote:  If it is upheld, could it require an employer to provide contraceptives to an employee whose religious convictions condone their use?
Hypothetical:
Let's say the Satanists were to add to their beliefs the divine command of population control by contraception and/or abortion. Would they have a case?
I am not by any stretch a lawyer, just asking questions.

I'm no lawyer either so am just speculating wildly. My concern would be that both cases hinge on individuals being required to do something that contradicts their religious beliefs. I don't see how Satanists being exempted from one law could be construed to require employers to submit to a different law.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP