Those pesky theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Those pesky theists
I have noticed that if a theist says something they often reverse themselves. For instance, when they claim science does not know everything and should be abandoned, they turn around and offer "science" explanations for their own side. Pick one, either agree with science or stay out of our yard so to speak.

To argue against evolution, creationists say science just made up the fact that the universe is billions of years old to give their 'theory' credence. Then they turn around and in response to "How did two people populate the earth?" say (without any evidence to support it) Adam and Eve lived to be almost a thousand years old.

Any other blatant examples?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2012, 08:10 AM
RE: Those pesky theists
I heard a theist radio station the other day featuring scientists who called themselves Christians, and they were supposedly talking about physicsand how the possibility of numerous dimensions proved the existence of angels and how they interact with humans. I don't know about you but that is a kind or irrational conclusion on their part.

I assume you have heard of Eric Hovind, he is a televangelist who really pushes the bounds of science to make his claims seem reasonable to the average person, however, a quick trip to the Creationist Claims Index appeared to me every, single, argument he proposed and the refutation to them.

Good stuff Smile

I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about Wink
23-06-2012, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 12:21 PM by Thomas.)
The pick and choose progression of religion as follows:
1 - Evolution is not true. Everything was created in 6 days. The bible says so. We didn't come from no monkies.
2 - Well if evolution is true god planned it that way. The bible is obviously a simplified story of creation because people back then could never have understood evolution or billions of years.
3 - God's design is clearly evident in evolution, it's DNA. DNA couldn't have evolved.
4 - Well, DNA appears to have evolved from RNA, but who created RNA? Must have been god. RNA clearly could not have evolved.
5 - (some future time) Ahhhhh, just fuck it then. You're right. The whole religious thing is just made up. But I just want to believe that I'm special and there is some all-powerful being in the universe that just cares about me. Just leave me alone and let me have my delusion.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 5 users Like Thomas's post
23-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I've heard some Christians speak of god as a gardener who is simply tending to all his living creations.
I then reply "Pruning peoples limbs seems a little severe don't you think" ?
and "You do realize that what happens to a garden when the fruits & veggies are ripe don't you" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
23-06-2012, 01:13 PM
(23-06-2012 11:42 AM)Thomas Wrote:  The pick and choose progression of religion as follows:
1 - Evolution is not true. Everything was created in 6 days. The bible says so. We didn't come from no monkies.
2 - Well if evolution is true god planned it that way. The bible is obviously a simplified story of creation because people back then could never have understood evolution or billions of years.
3 - God's design is clearly evident in evolution, it's DNA. DNA couldn't have evolved.
4 - Well, DNA appears to have evolved from RNA, but who created RNA? Must have been god. RNA clearly could not have evolved.
5 - (some future time) Ahhhhh, just fuck it then. You're right. The whole religious thing is just made up. But I just want to believe that I'm special and there is some all-powerful being in the universe that just cares about me. Just leave me alone and let me have my delusion.

I think you're on to something here, Thomas!

This is kind of how I view a chronology of the state of religion, and it's accepted world view. I find the majority of a religious general consensus to be hovering around area 3 and 4 - many seem unable to get past that science bugaboo.

I think 1 and 2 really only continue to be the mainstays of the fundamentalist, which I see becoming be the fringe element even for the general consensus.

And interestingly, I see greater movement afoot, venturing into area 5, although ... maybe, without actual acknowledgement of delusion. Wink But hey, I can live with that!

Blush Yes, I am an optimist.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein