Those poor Christian Brits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 10:26 PM by Near.)
Those poor Christian Brits
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19472438

So apparently some Christians from Britain have been sacked from various jobs, and are now taking their cases to the European Court of Human Rights.

An excerpt from the article:

"The cases involve British Airways check-in clerk Nadia Eweida, nurse Shirley Chaplin, relationship counsellor Gary McFarlane and registrar Lilian Ladele:

Ms Eweida, a Pentecostal Christian from Twickenham, south-west London, was sent home by her employer British Airways in 2006 after refusing to remove a necklace with a cross

Devon-based nurse Mrs Chaplin was moved to a desk job by Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Trust Hospital for similar reasons

Mr McFarlane, a Bristol counsellor, was sacked by Relate for refusing to give relationship advice to gay people

Ms Ladele was disciplined after she refused to conduct same-sex civil partnership ceremonies in north London "

What are your thoughts on the issue? I can see the case that the two people have made about being let go over religious jewelery, although if there are rules at the places where they work, then they should be acting in accordance with those rules.

The counselor, and the registrar, I think that it is perfectly reasonable that they were disciplined, or sacked. You are performing a duty where it is reasonable to expect that you would do the job asked of you, even if you disagree with it.

It reminds me of some of the bullshit here in America where pharmacists refuse to give out birth control that has been prescribed by physicians. I don't care if you don't agree with it, it's not your place to refuse to do the job that is expected of you.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
03-09-2012, 10:08 PM
RE: Those poor Christian Brits
Mss. Eweida and Chaplin have a case in my opinion, but Mr. McFarlane sounds like a douche and Ms. Ladele likewise.

It was Ms. Ladele's job as a registrar to officiate civil unions, and denying gays that service in the course of her job is fair grounds for termination, religion or not.

Mr. McFarlane, if he was working for a relationship counselling service that did not as a policy refuse to serve homosexuals, refused to perform that aspect of his duty then there were also fair grounds for his termination.

Firing someone for wearing a cross is just stupid though, unless there were other related behaviors, like if they were talking about religion to customers who weren't interested.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
These are not my words but I feel they reflect the situation well:

Random thought.

Imagine that a strange phenomenon spread across all the world. This phenomenon caused everyone who didn’t hug someone at least once a day to mysteriously die. There would be some who would hug others while arguing that it was clearly an act of God. This would be okay. There would be some who would hug others while claiming that it was a result of science and that there was no God. This would also be okay. There would be some who would deny others the right to hug because they disagree with their views. This would not be okay.

Keep debating. Keep hugging.

~Thunt

Author of goblinscomic.com

No one has a right to deny gay couples counseling or the right to marry because your too stupid and close minded to separate belief from rights. As for the two who were dismissed for wearing crosses don't your passengers have a right to a comfortable ride free of religious symbols and conflict. I would say am employer would be equally within their rights to ask me to stop wearing an Atheist shirt or hat to work.
03-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, I don't agree with the people who were wearing Christian jewelry that were fired, but the others were perfectly appropriate. The last two were fired for not doing their jobs which makes sense. The jewelry is appropriate though, so I don't see why they were fired for wearing it.

"Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth." Kosh Naranek
04-09-2012, 12:51 AM
I think we have to go deeper in that case, if we want find the reason why the first two people are fired.
If there is, for example, a dress-code for employees, thats says : "Now religious or idiolgical signs allowed", then is a necklace with a religious symbol a violation of that dress-code.
This is a pretty good reason to recive a clap on the fingers.
The people how refuse to do there job's because they were offended by the fakt that they should deal with gay people are stupid.
They should be punished by working from fortheron at the local purification plant.
Shit to shit, bullshit to horsepiss....
On the other hand, you may have notice, if you are working for the RC-Church and you had have a divorce, and you want to get married again, you are fired, because the invisible Boss is pissed off, but give's you no reason why.
I made me the world, in a way she is convinient to myself, and call it religion.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
04-09-2012, 07:06 AM
(04-09-2012 12:51 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  I think we have to go deeper in that case, if we want find the reason why the first two people are fired.
If there is, for example, a dress-code for employees, thats says : ...

Here you go...

Against BA dress code.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...nment.html

04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Yeah the OP is actually a misrepresentation of the case. There was a dress code that said employees are not allowed to wear jewellery. Those ladies wanted a special case made for them because their jewellery was religious in nature.

I was going to look it up, but I think DLJ did the work for me?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
04-09-2012, 07:31 AM
(04-09-2012 07:20 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I think DLJ did the work for me

As is always the way. Sigh!

(you remember those anagrams that I worked on, just for you? You don't get any more until the you finish the old ones)

04-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Ego driven bullshit in the case of the BA staff.

They could quite easily wear their crosses underneath their uniform, nobody ever need know...... but no..... they want the cross on show.

Fools.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
To the two ladies above, all "celebrities," all -----ball players, all politicians, etc.: I'm really fed up with your "I'm speshul so the rules don't apply to me" attitudes and behaviors.

Carry on.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post