Those poor Christian Brits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 07:39 AM by Near.)
RE: Those poor Christian Brits
Smooshmonster Wrote:Yeah the OP is actually a misrepresentation of the case. There was a dress code that said employees are not allowed to wear jewellery. Those ladies wanted a special case made for them because their jewellery was religious in nature.

Near Wrote:I can see the case that the two people have made about being let go over religious jewelery, although if there are rules at the places where they work, then they should be acting in accordance with those rules.

I think you'll find that I said that they should act in accordance with the rules (i.e. dress code) at their work place. If there were no rules of this nature, then that's when they would have a case. As it turns out, at least in the case of the BA employee, there were rules against wearing the jewelery so her employer was right to reprimand her, and even fire her because she refused to comply. Unless you are referring to the article being a misrepresentation.

An excerpt from the article that DLJ posted (thank you for finding that sir).

" They want the European Court to rule that this breached their human right to manifest their religion.

The Government’s official response states that wearing the cross is not a “requirement of the faith” and therefore does not fall under the remit of Article 9.

Lawyers for the two women claim that the Government is setting the bar too high and that “manifesting” religion includes doing things that are not a “requirement of the faith”, and that they are therefore protected by human rights.

They say that Christians are given less protection than members of other religions who have been granted special status for garments or symbols such as the Sikh turban and kara bracelet, or the Muslim hijab. "

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
04-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Oops, sorry Near. Didn't mean to make it sound like you were misrepresenting the facts Confused

So basically, unless Christians suddenly decide that wearing a cross is a requirement of the faith, I don't think these ladies had a case, and it was petty and childish of them to go pointing at other faiths and saying "Well they get to do it, why can't we. Waah."

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
(04-09-2012 07:45 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Oops, sorry Near. Didn't mean to make it sound like you were misrepresenting the facts Confused

No worries mate. Smile

I agree with you, they are just acting all put upon for no good reason.

Reminds me of this:

[Image: ChristianPieChart.jpg]

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2012, 09:15 AM
They were rightfully disciplined in my opinion. Since they refused to accept that they wont get any special treatment then the sacking was justified. The airline womans whole argument is based around Muslim women are still allowed to veils. Veils are religious requirements. Crucifixes are not. She knew that jewellery isn't allowed. chose to ignore it despite knowing that it was jewellery.

The nurse. She should know better. Jewellery is a hygiene risk. How often to people sterilise their jewellery?

And the other 2 cases the people are discriminating against others. Their sacking is fair.

Theres no discrimination here. Just a bunch of cry baby Christians calling foul because their employers didn't bend over backward for them.

I hope their cases gets thrown out of court.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
(04-09-2012 09:15 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  They were rightfully disciplined in my opinion. Since they refused to accept that they wont get any special treatment then the sacking was justified. The airline womans whole argument is based around Muslim women are still allowed to veils. Veils are religious requirements. Crucifixes are not. She knew that jewellery isn't allowed. chose to ignore it despite knowing that it was jewellery.

The nurse. She should know better. Jewellery is a hygiene risk. How often to people sterilise their jewellery?

And the other 2 cases the people are discriminating against others. Their sacking is fair.

Theres no discrimination here. Just a bunch of cry baby Christians calling foul because their employers didn't bend over backward for them.

I hope their cases gets thrown out of court.

Why can't we feed them to the lions, like we used to?

Ahhh! The good ol' days.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-09-2012, 09:33 AM
(04-09-2012 09:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Why can't we feed them to the lions, like we used to?

Ahhh! The good ol' days.

Bring back the pre Christian Roman empire! Kick some barbarian ass....Except the ones up here...yeah the Romans didn't do so well here...

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I think the airlines have a right to set a dress code and to fire people for not abiding by it. If people feel some religious obligation for wearing religious jewelry, then they can wear it under their clothes so it doesn't violate the code. The other 2 deserved to be fired for their bigotry. They can always find another job if they don't like the job requirements... oh yeah, it looks like they'll be doing so...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post