Those supossed 500 witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Those supossed 500 witnesses
So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Can anyone give me some other tips on this.

Thanks, gang.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
17-04-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Those supossed 500 witnesses
Proof including the people who SAW it.. then by quote, never told anyone about it, yet somehow this mysterious other writer not them knows this.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Are you familiar with the miracle at Fatima, Portugal?

Estimates of upwards of 40,000 saw the Sun reverse its course and "dance" in the sky.

Ask this person if they believe this was possible, after all 40,000 is many more than 500. Knowing what we know of cosmology this would mean that the Earth stopped spinning, it should have sent everyone and everything hurtling into space. Ohmy

There are many other refutations but I'm curious to hear what they think of Fatima and other "miracles".

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
17-04-2015, 09:32 AM
(17-04-2015 09:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Thanks, gang.

Somebody writing "there were 500 witnesses" doesn't mean anything. We'd need statements from at least some of those witnesses, otherwise it is just an unsupported claim. The adage "don't believe everything you read" seems to be lost on theists.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
17-04-2015, 10:11 AM
(17-04-2015 09:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 09:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Thanks, gang.

Somebody writing "there were 500 witnesses" doesn't mean anything. We'd need statements from at least some of those witnesses, otherwise it is just an unsupported claim. The adage "don't believe everything you read" seems to be lost on theists.

Yabut, the people Paul was writing to could have verified the claims!

Except...Paul never actually mentioned any names so they wouldn't have known who to talk to even if they could have manged a trip to wherever these people were supposed to be... Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
17-04-2015, 10:34 AM
"The plural of anecdote is not data."

And this is but one anecdote trying to make itself out to be more. Anyone can write down, "500 people said this..."

How many eye witness accounts would it take for a Christian to believe God came down to earth and then destroyed himself?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Thanks, gang.

Paul never claimed that. There is no evidence for that. Matthew said in his gospel many others also rose, and not one person of them is ever named or verified. At the end of Matthew it says when they saw him and DOUBTED "yet believed"... so clearly they did not get what they were "understanding" And in fact a Christian seminary Professor of the New Testament (Dr. Bernard Brandon Scott who wrote "The Trouble with Resurrection") (as well as many other Christian scholars in the "Jesus Seminar" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Seminar )
don't even agree that he actually physically from the dead. It could be a misinterpretation of the Greek and Hebrew context. The notion of a Hebrew "shade" (Ie a dead person from Sheol ... which was not recognizable), makes a lot more sense in this cultural context. Physical bodies can't walk through walls.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid192117

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Name one of these witnesses. I want to cross-examine him!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
17-04-2015, 11:30 AM
(17-04-2015 09:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Thanks, gang.

Yes, my understanding is that Paul only writes only one line about the 500 witnesses.

1 Corinthians 15:6 "Then he appeared to more than 500 brothers at one time, most are still alive, though some have fallen asleep".

So this is the line that Christians use as "evidence"? That's it??? That's all? Pffft! Am I missing something here?

This guy I'm talking to is using evidence FROM the Bible to prove the evidence IN the Bible.Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Quote:Am I missing something here?

Nope. They are pretty easily impressed!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!