Those supossed 500 witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 10:59 PM
RE: Those supossed 500 witnesses
(17-04-2015 09:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Can anyone give me some other tips on this.

Thanks, gang.

There were at least 500 witnesses to Harry Potters first quiddich match at Hogwarts school of wizardry according to the book.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
18-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Just ran across this article about witnesses.

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/lee-...time-texas
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
18-04-2015, 03:23 PM
(17-04-2015 10:59 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 09:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Can anyone give me some other tips on this.

Thanks, gang.

There were at least 500 witnesses to Harry Potters first quiddich match at Hogwarts school of wizardry according to the book.

And the author clearly mentions both actual geographical locations and actual historical figures. So it must be reliable!

... this is my signature!
18-04-2015, 04:00 PM
I remember a college study on human memory. It was a good size class and the Professor was talking about I witness accounts in court of law. He was a couple of sentences in when a man walked into the room walked up to the professor garbed his brief case and ran out the door. One of two students got up to try to catch the man but he was to fast. The professor yelled out "Wait! Can anyone tell me what he looked like?" Everyone wrote down their description of the event. Some said he was wearing a hoodie others a green hat. Some said he was short and thin. No one got the full description right they took the majority of the accounts and drew out the man. What they didn't know was the professor had set the whole thing up. The man returned to the class room wearing the same thing he did when he left. This event took place in modern times, in a college, with students training for law. Smart people.

No let's shoot back 2000+ years to a time and place that didn't have an explanation for everything. The average life span was what 35? (someone correct me if i'm wrong) The earliest writings of Paul are 85 - 100 years after the supposed death of Jesus. How many of these Witness could have survived that long? When people can't even get a description of an event right when it happens right in front of them how could we take any of these clams to but completely true?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
18-04-2015, 04:06 PM
(18-04-2015 04:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The earliest writings of Paul are 85 - 100 years after the supposed death of Jesus.

nitpick... Paul's writings are more like 20-30 years after the supposed events. The Gospels span roughly 40-90 years after them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-04-2015, 04:10 PM
(18-04-2015 04:06 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 04:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The earliest writings of Paul are 85 - 100 years after the supposed death of Jesus.

nitpick... Paul's writings are more like 20-30 years after the supposed events. The Gospels span roughly 40-90 years after them.
Thank you I tried looking it up real quick but ... i'm lazy.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-04-2015, 04:26 PM
(18-04-2015 04:10 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 04:06 PM)unfogged Wrote:  nitpick... Paul's writings are more like 20-30 years after the supposed events. The Gospels span roughly 40-90 years after them.
Thank you I tried looking it up real quick but ... i'm lazy.

Assuming there even was a "Paul". Clearly there were at least two different philosophical viewpoints in the authors who wrote "Paul". Maybe there was no real Paul ?
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/paul.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-04-2015, 04:36 PM
(18-04-2015 04:06 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Nitpick to the 2d power: That is the story that jesus freaks put out. But "Paul's" letters don't show up in the record until Marcion's canon c 140. Marcion was a heretic or so the eventual winners claimed but they did like his idea of writing a whole bunch of shit down. They took his canon (a version of gLuke and 10 so-called epistles of this paul guy) and suddenly adopted them.

BUT.

We don't have the originals. All we have are what emerged from the re-write unless you think that a bunch of xtians who denounced Marcion as a heretic would then adopt the very writings he used to demonstrate his heresy? That is pushing things a bit too far if you ask me.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-04-2015, 04:36 PM
(18-04-2015 03:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 10:59 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  There were at least 500 witnesses to Harry Potters first quiddich match at Hogwarts school of wizardry according to the book.

And the author clearly mentions both actual geographical locations and actual historical figures. So it must be reliable!

That's right. Who's to say 500 or more years in the future someone won't create a cult around the Harry Potter books and claim that they weren't really fiction.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-04-2015, 04:50 PM
(18-04-2015 04:36 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 03:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And the author clearly mentions both actual geographical locations and actual historical figures. So it must be reliable!

That's right. Who's to say 500 or more years in the future someone won't create a cult around the Harry Potter books and claim that they weren't really fiction.

Well, you say they're fiction. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post