Those supossed 500 witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2015, 05:04 PM
RE: Those supossed 500 witnesses
(18-04-2015 03:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 10:59 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  There were at least 500 witnesses to Harry Potters first quiddich match at Hogwarts school of wizardry according to the book.

And the author clearly mentions both actual geographical locations and actual historical figures. So it must be reliable!

And it's interesting that it was 500 people. Not 483 or 504 but an even-steven 500. Somehow Paul was being rather unspecific, kinda generalizing the information.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2015, 03:00 PM
(18-04-2015 05:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 03:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And the author clearly mentions both actual geographical locations and actual historical figures. So it must be reliable!

And it's interesting that it was 500 people. Not 483 or 504 but an even-steven 500. Somehow Paul was being rather unspecific, kinda generalizing the information.

And it's just "witnesses". Too bad it wasn't someone like historians, biographers, government officials, people that weren't part of the cult, etc.

Though I suppose it is convenient for Paul that 500 unnamed cult members were there. Dodgy

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
21-04-2015, 10:41 AM
(18-04-2015 04:36 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 03:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And the author clearly mentions both actual geographical locations and actual historical figures. So it must be reliable!

That's right. Who's to say 500 or more years in the future someone won't create a cult around the Harry Potter books and claim that they weren't really fiction.

http://veryaware.com/wp-content/uploads/...camp-1.jpg

And let me say this about Harry Potter. Warlocks are enemies of God! And I don't care what kind of hero they are, they're an enemy of God, and had it been in the Old Testament, Harry Potter would have been put to death!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
22-04-2015, 01:00 AM
(17-04-2015 09:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Can anyone give me some other tips on this.

Thanks, gang.
I can find no evidence that Paul existed.

Sapere aude
22-04-2015, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 12:04 PM by jennybee.)
Tell them to pick up a book by Hector Avalos called The End of Biblical Studies. Avalos talks about this claim and mentions that it was in a letter written to the Corinthians who lived over 700 miles from the events and as such, had little ability of verifying this claim. He also mentions that "empirical evidence shows that large groups of people can report seeing non-occurring events" and cites the Marian apparitions (Mary sightings).

I also like Dan Barker's response of 500 being a nice, neat, convenient number. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-04-2015, 01:08 AM
(17-04-2015 06:07 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Thousands of people, including christians, have sworn to have smelled, seen, heard and even photographed bigfoot....you can go right now and interview them...so it must be true.....just has to be right? According to his logic.
Is anyone claiming Bigfoot is a zombie?

Sapere aude
25-04-2015, 03:50 AM
(25-04-2015 01:08 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 06:07 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Thousands of people, including christians, have sworn to have smelled, seen, heard and even photographed bigfoot....you can go right now and interview them...so it must be true.....just has to be right? According to his logic.
Bigfoot is real! to try to discredit bigfoot by comparing him to a fairy tale called jesus is just disingenuous! I got proof!

[Image: etdsgw.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
25-04-2015, 06:53 AM
(25-04-2015 01:08 AM)f stop Wrote:  

Is anyone claiming Bigfoot isn't a zombie? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-04-2015, 02:24 PM
(25-04-2015 06:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 01:08 AM)f stop Wrote:  Is anyone claiming Bigfoot is a zombie?

Is anyone claiming Bigfoot isn't a zombie? Consider

Maybe Bigfoot is actually Jesus, except in his second coming he's harrier and lost in the woods.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-04-2015, 02:42 PM
(17-04-2015 09:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I'm having a discussion with someone who is adamant that the 500 witnesses are proof of Jesus' resurrection. My understanding is that Paul sort of interviewed, if you could call it that, the 500 people many years after the supposed zombie day event.

Can anyone give me some other tips on this.

Thanks, gang.

Only 500 people... Ohmy

This was "god" who humiliated himself by becoming a "lowly" human, then allowed himself to be subjected to hours of torture and ridicule, finally ending in his very painful death. And why? To save all of humanity... er, from himself, but we won't go there for now. [Image: whistling.gif] How did all that actually save us? Consider The only thing I can think of that even heads in some slight direction of "sense" is that it was supposed to teach us something - like maybe to prove to us that he is god by rising from the dead. So he only wanted 500 people to learn it? Makes perfect sense. No

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.