Those who have never been religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Those who have never been religious
What was it like as a kid? What was it like when you saw or heard religious things? How did your parents explain religious things to you?

Sometimes, I wish I never had to deal with religion growing up. I hate dealing with the fear of things that don't exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 03:23 PM
RE: Those who have never been religious
It was like a normal childhood except I didn't have to dress up every Sunday and go to church. I was aware of religion but only the Church of England and Roman Catholic as I had friends in each. I was told by my parents that church is something that I could go to if I wanted, there was this god guy and a bloke called Jesus who some go to church to sing songs to and pray to, but cycle rides in the countryside seemed far more attractive to me. I wasn't ever told that religion is stupid, or a good thing, it was my choice, however as a child I of course followed the example of my parents and stayed away from church.
When I saw religious things happening that I didn't understand the stock answer was "that's what religious people do."

Fear of things that don't exist is a strange concept to me. I'm glad such things have never screwed up my life. I am sorry for you. Without religion there are no demons to be scared of, I thought this as a child and so was one of the few who were never scared of the dark.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 4 users Like stevec's post
06-05-2016, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 03:49 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
My parents didn't explain anything. Later on my father introduced me to George Carlin and Carl Sagan (Carlin was when I was in middle school, I think), so I have at least that to thank him for. Other than that, there was never any comprehensive understanding that they passed onto me. I had to do all of that stuff myself. Also, when I encountered religious things, I never really thought much of it, I guess. Also, this doesn't mean I never believed in anything stupid. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
06-05-2016, 03:49 PM
For me it wasn't an issue at all, god was just some vague concept that had absolutely no influence on our daily lives.
Although my parents would say that they believe in god, god or religion was never a topic in my family.
Religious things or events were just a part of our culture and customs , nothing that needed special explanation nor it grabbed my interest in any way.
I don't know, Halloween maybe a good example to understand how I perceived religious things as a kid , just something you do that time of year without giving it much thought. God, Santa Claus, Tooth ferry ...they were all the same for me.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
06-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Never talked about it. My school was run by a lot of Jebus folks, but they couldn't really do anything since the parents had the staredown on em. I embarassed my teacher when she spoke of Noah's ark as the truth, and I corrected her that the Epic of Gilgamesh was written way before. She never spoke of Noah ever again.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
06-05-2016, 04:25 PM
(06-05-2016 02:16 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  What was it like as a kid? What was it like when you saw or heard religious things? How did your parents explain religious things to you?

Sometimes, I wish I never had to deal with religion growing up. I hate dealing with the fear of things that don't exist.

My parents sought to keep myself and my siblings out of religion's clasps during our upbringing. My parents are nominally religious, but they don't go into details.

Australia is a bit weird with religion. The majority of the population is belongs to some sect of christianity (catholics of course being the largest, them alone being only slightly larger than all the 'nones'), and due to it's history, Australia has had a close attachment to religion from the founding of the colonies, so churches are a frequent site and religion a common thing, however the vast majority of the population is also indifferent to religion at best, so while it's around it's not pushed that much.

How was growing up for me like? Blasphemous. Whenever it was Easter or Giftmas, there'd be shitty cartoons playing and I'd be the one asking basically 'what is this nonsense? How can anybody believe this?' to whichever parent is nearest. I usually got the stock answer 'It's what some people believe', rarely got satisfying details. I figured it out on my own when I was young that it was all bullshit and inconsistent. And frequently pushed that looking for answers, usually to be rebuffed with chiding for attacking other people's beliefs or with the stock answer.

However it wasn't exactly all roses, when we went to a funeral or something, I was told to keep my questions in check and was put on a short leash. I was also supremely ignorant of religions in particular. All I knew about Catholics and Protestants for instance was they worshipped the same got but somehow got different interpretations of a 'perfect word'. I eventually thought all religions were the same, just warped by culture.
I had no idea of the apologetics, or the non-distilled content of the holy books, or even the basic tenants of any religion. The price of my ignorance lead me down the road of what I call 'retard atheism', you know, atheism for people who don't know anything.

In primary school I took to 'retard atheism' like a fish to water; challenging anything I didn't like with the famous 'oh yeah? Why?' method of argument. One time I 'disproved' god by standing in the open and daring whatever might exist to smite me; after all god did that all the time according to the TV, so why would they abide me doing it? Of course, everybody who believed those nonsense cartoons about talking donkeys and magical babies, and kings/wise men travelling alone in the desert to bring gifts to a magic kid, or about food a brother stole from his sibling to bring to his father for some reason, were all incredibly stupid.

Yeah, not the brightest or most empathetic anti-theist tyke.

I am glad I was not indoctrinated into a religion as a child, which honestly felt alien to me as a child, but I do feel that in some ways people who grew up religious have a distinct advantage over me: I can never know 'in my heart of hearts' what religion feels like; they can have interpersonal empathy for victims of indoctrination that I just can't achieve, and I lacked the training and education religion provides, so I have an inferior tool set to work with; ex religious people simply know more about the inner workings of their faiths than I can. They have more motivation and weapons to bring to bear than I do should they go to bat against it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-05-2016, 05:33 PM
It was great not having to go to church on Sundays. In fact only about 1/3 of the people on our road went to church so it was just like any other day. Sometimes when I would stay over at a friends house they would ask e to come to church with them. A couple of times I went but I was so bored I finally just said drop me off at my house on your way. I probably went to church maybe 6-8 times when I was growing up. Three or four times to a UU church, once to a Pentecostal, couple times to a Baptist and twice to a Catholic, none of them interest me in the least. All baloney. That's it, other than a couple of weddings and one funeral. I'm quite happy with my limited exposure to delusionville.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
06-05-2016, 05:43 PM
(06-05-2016 02:16 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  What was it like as a kid? What was it like when you saw or heard religious things? How did your parents explain religious things to you?
My parents never brought up religion when I was a kid. Mom made a token effort, sent us to the local Sunday School. I lasted three visits before they ask Mom to not send me back. The Ark story really pissed me off.
Quote:Sometimes, I wish I never had to deal with religion growing up. I hate dealing with the fear of things that don't exist.
I looked at God like I did the Tooth Faggot and Sans Claws. I didn't bother asking people why they took their god seriously, unless they got in my face about. When I was eleven one lady insisted I visit her church, to "get right with God!" I said, "Sure, but if I don't like what I hear I'll burn the church to the ground." She disinvited me instantly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-05-2016, 05:51 PM
i had very little interest. my mom believed in a god and afterlife but never really talked about it or went to church. she just wanted to see dead loved ones again. my dad has always been an agnostic atheist. my grandmother dragged me to church a few times (usually by bribing me with a toy) but i found it painfully boring. i knew it was all bullshit from the get-go, just like my dad.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
07-05-2016, 01:13 AM

I remember it being quite fun for the few times I ever did actually go to a church or anything like that, mainly because it was just something different that was not a part of the norm. But, other than that, I don't think my parents ever really brought it up that much. My mother had basically tried to label me as catholic, much like every single other parent does for their child in they label their kid as whatever they want them to be because that is what they are, fully under the assumption that the child both somehow understands everything that is involved and has somehow also made the same choice for what they are.

I guess I believed in magical floods and stuff and maybe had thought about religious stuff perhaps a couple of times, but my whole childhood was filled with video games, boobs, super heroes, boobs, Rated R movies-with boobs, and watching a crap ton of Television instead of doing my homework....like every single t.v show that has ever existed on nickolodeon and cartoon network during the 90's. I saw it all....all of it. Including every single banned episode of all the cartoons...EVER that only shown one time.

I saw one beer from tiny toons and all the others that got pulled after the one time it showed. I grew up with all those banned racist and WWII propaganda cartoons that still was showing back in the early 90's, like that Bugs bunny one called Which Witch is Which. UNGA BUNGA BUNGA!! lol.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post