Those who have never been religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2016, 03:11 AM
RE: Those who have never been religious
I really enjoyed and read a lot of fantasy and mythology, and I was especially fond of the ancient Greeks and their pantheon of heroes and deities. So modern religions always just stuck me as cultural mythology, Christianity is as much of a myth as Mythraism, there's just less people around who think Mythraism is legit; and this has happened time and again throughout history as those with power and influence fade away. I saw no reason to think Christianity, let alone any other seriously practiced modern faith, was any different form the legions of other dead faiths littering the graveyard of mythology.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-05-2016, 04:04 AM
My parents never spoke of religion. It wasn't taught or ever mentioned in school. And kids sure as tity fuck weren't talking about it/interested in it.
It was never an issue or even something that even really came up. Hell, the only reason I'm here is because I needed some material to use against a religious flatmate I met at university and the only reason I stuck around was because the cell reception is pretty good and the cookies aren't bad either.

I think my only experience with religion was wanting to go to midnight mass with my mom (that was the only religious thing she ever did, go to church once a year at midnight on Christmas..) and one time she took me I feel asleep and never wanted to go again. That's probably the only time I've ever been inside a church actually. Oh, except my grandmothers funeral.

The biggest part religion plays in my life is sometimes it's a little busy on one of the corners I ride my bike past on the way to the Chinese takeout place.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-05-2016, 06:02 AM
(07-05-2016 03:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I really enjoyed and read a lot of fantasy and mythology, and I was especially fond of the ancient Greeks and their pantheon of heroes and deities. So modern religions always just stuck me as cultural mythology, Christianity is as much of a myth as Mythraism, there's just less people around who think Mythraism is legit; and this has happened time and again throughout history as those with power and influence fade away. I saw no reason to think Christianity, let alone any other seriously practiced modern faith, was any different form the legions of other dead faiths littering the graveyard of mythology.

This is a good point. I try to remember that the modern religions are mythology just like the older religions.
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post
07-05-2016, 07:23 AM
(07-05-2016 06:02 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 03:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I really enjoyed and read a lot of fantasy and mythology, and I was especially fond of the ancient Greeks and their pantheon of heroes and deities. So modern religions always just stuck me as cultural mythology, Christianity is as much of a myth as Mythraism, there's just less people around who think Mythraism is legit; and this has happened time and again throughout history as those with power and influence fade away. I saw no reason to think Christianity, let alone any other seriously practiced modern faith, was any different form the legions of other dead faiths littering the graveyard of mythology.

This is a good point. I try to remember that the modern religions are mythology just like the older religions.
Are you saying the Raelian religion is a myth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2016, 11:38 AM
My parents never talked about god or religion other then my father telling me that the church was a waste of time.

Then when my mother was diagnosed with a terminal illness (I was 11) I had friends try and comfort me by talking about her going to a "better place etc..." and I thought, well that sounds nice, I like that. So I got a bible and started reading...I don't think I got past Genesis without thinking...well this is crap! I did however read the whole thing just in case it got better. It did not.

But I still wanted there to be an afterlife so I read about other spiritual "options",and rejected each in turn. Then I finally decided that since nobody knows one way or the other that I can just choose to believe that there was an afterlife and I was comfortable with that.

Then I started listening to Christopher Hitchens & Matt Delahunty, and realized that believing something because you want it to be true is a bad reason to believe something. So I basically went back to where I started in one big 20 year long circle. Facepalm

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
08-05-2016, 07:09 AM
I am a born atheist. Have never been religious and in fact hold all religious beliefs in contempt.

It was the combination of Voltaire and Nietzsche that began a personal hatred for xianity for me. The way it steals a person from themselves. Subjugates and makes slaves of them. And the history of the church. The more I learned the more I fought against it, beginning in 1980. That was the year I went on a personal crusade against xianity.

Along the way I studied the history, the bible, became a priest, you name it.

People talk of Dawkins and Hitchens. For me it was Voltaire, Schopenhauer ,Stirner, Nietzsche, Sartre etc.

I did not know of Hitchens until after his death.

As a child I raised myself. At 4 I read a children's bible. I thought it BS right away and to this day wonder how any adult could ever have believed such fucking stupidity!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-05-2016, 07:44 AM
It was not discussed much as a young child. The topic came up when I started going to school and I learned that our heathen household was quite different. Started feeling that lovely projected guilt and shame when I answered the " do you go to church" questions, figured that out for the rubbish it was.
Wanted to go to Young Life a few times when they had fun events but dad said no, you need to go sit in church too if you want to participate.
Mom was wise and led me along with questions to where I am now.
Part of our theological experience was grandma and grandpa moving on to the farm in a trailer house when I was 6.
Dad resented the hell out of that, because she and the old guy were leeching off us while sending money off to Billy Graham and the likes.
He called it "buying fire insurance".
She was a wild-eyed fire and brimstone old testament type at this time. Not at all nice to a little boy.
I think mom regretted it for years.
I think it was a fine example of gods love, lol.
Later I learned she changed churches and denominations frequently, from Baptist to Nazarene and all over.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-05-2016, 08:53 AM
(07-05-2016 04:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  My parents never spoke of religion. It wasn't taught or ever mentioned in school.

Well! That was a surprise.

You knew your parents?

Ohmy Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I lived out in the woods in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in a fucking cabin in the woods. No hot water, No TV, very little radio, an outhouse was the bathroom. My dad was an atheist my mom might have believed in some sort of deity but never really discussed it. When I was a little kid I didn't really have a god concept and had never heard of Jesus.......until.......

When I was around nine or ten years old I went to a different school. The school I had gone to before (my dad was the principle of the school) didn't sing christmas songs about Jesus, just Santa and snow and stuff. So here I am at a different school and this school sang christmas carols about Jesus. I'm singing Away in the Manger, or some such song, and I turned to the girl next to me and say "Who is this Jesus guy anyway?"

Tongue Big Grin Laugh out load She looked at me like I was insane or an alien or totally retarded and needed to be in the special ed classes and says, " He's the son of God!!!

It sounded so idiotic from the get-go. God couldn't just come down and do stuff for himself? It just sounded dumb.

I love Sunday's. I sleep in.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-05-2016, 11:09 AM
(08-05-2016 09:37 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I turned to the girl next to me and say "Who is this Jesus guy anyway?"

That would have been me, too. I can totally relate to that. Smile