Thou shalt not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Thou shalt not
I never know what to say to my friend when he sends me links to prove god is real. This is when he links things in the bible with the information in said links. For example the bible says:

Leviticus 11:7-8 ESV Wrote:And the pig, because it parts the hoof and
is cloven-footed but does not chew the
cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat
any of their flesh, and you shall not touch
their carcasses; they are unclean to you.

My friend claims the reason as:

WebMD Wrote:If pork tapeworm eggs are
accidentally swallowed, they can migrate
to other parts of the body and cause
damage to the liver, eyes, heart, and brain. These infections can be life-threatening.
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders...-in-humans

My natural response would be to claim coincedence. But that's not good enough. I can't claim coincedence when things get inconvenient for my position. A possible way to deal with this would be to find out if it was known that pork tape worms were as dangerous as claimed above. How would you validly counter this?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2015, 12:30 PM
RE: Thou shalt not
I would have to say that nearly everything we ingest has the potential to be contaminated by something that isn't healthy.

I am not going to take my dietary recommendations from a book written by people who didn't even have refrigeration...but maybe that's just me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-01-2015, 03:04 PM
(17-01-2015 12:27 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  
Leviticus 11:7-8 ESV Wrote:And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.

My friend claims the reason as:

WebMD Wrote:If pork tapeworm eggs are accidentally swallowed, they can migrate to other parts of the body and cause damage to the liver, eyes, heart, and brain. These nfections can be life-threatening.

The claim is that pork is unclean "because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud". What the hell does that have to do with tapeworm eggs? If the verse read "because it contains things too small to be seen that can be dangerous if the meat isn't thoroughly cooked" then he might have a point.

If it is true that the prohibition is based on a correlation being seen between eating pork and getting sick then the explanation given shows that it wasn't divine knowledge, it was just people noticing a pattern.

My guess is that the original author just didn't happen to like pork.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
17-01-2015, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 03:48 PM by gofish!.)
My guess is that basic rules of what and what not to eat were established at least 30,000 years ago.

After all, that was when beer was invented and you all know what bad eating choices we all make after enough of those. Big Grin

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 2 users Like gofish!'s post
17-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Is he claiming that the problems with under-cooked pork is something the Hebrews figured out or something that God revealed?

It's not likely to be the former; trichinosis, tapeworm, etc, take a long time to make someone ill. It's not reasonable to think that they would have been able to figure out what the was.

If the latter, why would God be ambiguous about the reason. Instead of calling it unclean and pointing to facts like cloven hooves, why wouldn't he tell them to make sure that ALL of their meat is sufficiently cooked. And that they should wash their hands before eating. He left them in the dark about so many other things that we had to figure out on our own after thousands of years of people suffering and dying from preventable causes...why make an exception for pork and shellfish?

I'm just thinking out loud.
17-01-2015, 09:19 PM
(17-01-2015 03:04 PM)unfogged Wrote:  My guess is that the original author just didn't happen to like pork.
Drinking Beverage

The evil bastard.Angry

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
17-01-2015, 09:24 PM
If it means more bacon for me, fuck the jews and muslims.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
17-01-2015, 09:26 PM
(17-01-2015 09:19 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 03:04 PM)unfogged Wrote:  My guess is that the original author just didn't happen to like pork.
Drinking Beverage

The evil bastard.Angry

Never trust anyone who doesn't like bacon.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
18-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Thou shalt not
You can see how much I like pork.[Image: 12646effbec83faa735ae041f6b48382.jpg]
18-01-2015, 01:10 PM
(17-01-2015 09:19 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
Drinking Beverage

The evil bastard.Angry

Maybe he was never given a chance to try it. Sad

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.