Thought about Tuesday's podcast and a caller

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Thought about Tuesday's podcast and a caller
I was thinking about that caller who said people who are nominal yet fervent Christians (ones who believe but don't practice much or go to church) are of the lower classes and don't vote or contribute to society. I want to say that this is untrue. I know many like this where I live of various social classes. Many of them do work, contribute, and rack up republican votes. I don't know where that caller lives, but it must not be here. The people he refers to that I know here actually believe Jesus existed, the whole salvation and heaven/hell deal, and yet they do not follow all the rules or attend church. I see that more and more as some people get away from big denominations, church in general, and the need for anything but individual spirituality.

Godless in the Magnolia State
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
30-06-2013, 11:24 AM
RE: Thought about Tuesday's podcast and a caller
(30-06-2013 11:17 AM)cjs Wrote:  I was thinking about that caller who said people who are nominal yet fervent Christians (ones who believe but don't practice much or go to church) are of the lower classes and don't vote or contribute to society. I want to say that this is untrue. I know many like this where I live of various social classes. Many of them do work, contribute, and rack up republican votes. I don't know where that caller lives, but it must not be here. The people he refers to that I know here actually believe Jesus existed, the whole salvation and heaven/hell deal, and yet they do not follow all the rules or attend church. I see that more and more as some people get away from big denominations, church in general, and the need for anything but individual spirituality.

I haven't heard it yet. But I know many people who define themselves as religious but don't attend church of any kind. Even some fundies I know don't attend church because they feel their local churches are too 'liberal' for their taste and have formed informal bible study groups where they can continue to spread their own form of lies and pass along misconceptions.

Ok...I'm turning this into a small rant. Sorry.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Don't be sorry, you're right on point here!

Godless in the Magnolia State
30-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I rolled my eyes at that too. Seth is so patient and kind, lol. I'd have stopped the caller right there. Ha ha!

Also, 'poor people' don't need false information more than anyone else. Would correct information give them the idea that they can control and take power into their own hands? Being atheist has made me more responsible and resourceful than ever before.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
30-06-2013, 01:25 PM
(30-06-2013 11:17 AM)cjs Wrote:  I was thinking about that caller who said people who are nominal yet fervent Christians (ones who believe but don't practice much or go to church) are of the lower classes and don't vote or contribute to society. I want to say that this is untrue. I know many like this where I live of various social classes. Many of them do work, contribute, and rack up republican votes. I don't know where that caller lives, but it must not be here. The people he refers to that I know here actually believe Jesus existed, the whole salvation and heaven/hell deal, and yet they do not follow all the rules or attend church. I see that more and more as some people get away from big denominations, church in general, and the need for anything but individual spirituality.

There is another thread about this caller and this is my opinion on him.

(29-06-2013 02:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 01:25 PM)Houndentenor Wrote:  On a recent podcast a caller referred to JT Eberhard as "militant". I can't believe you let that slide! Militant is what people have always called anyone who stood up and spoke their mind on an unpopular issue. It was a tactic used to discredit African Americans, then feminists, then gays, and now atheists. It's a load of BS. There's nothing "militant" about JT except that he exercises his right to speak and publish his views. Does anyone ever refer to the religious right as "militant Christians"? No, because they are treated as if they are entitled to their views while atheists apparently are not. I call bullshit on this effort to keep atheists passive and milquetoast and I think you should too, Seth!

Was it just me or did the caller you are referring to also spend the entire call trying to figure out how to call all minorities stupid without sounding like a bigot? As to Seth, I think leaving a post on the facebook page has a much better chance of reaching him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense