Thought experiment - moral vs meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 09:47 AM
RE: Thought experiment - moral vs meat
(01-06-2016 09:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wonder would it be ok to sell beef to a Hindu and tell them it's lamb or chicken? Consider

It's bad karma

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like ClydeLee's post
01-06-2016, 09:55 AM
(01-06-2016 08:32 AM)Leela Wrote:  Here is your thought experiment for you:

Imagine you are the owner of a small fast food restaurant in the UK or Ireland.
You sell the usual stuff: Burgers, Chips (US - Fries), Doner, Pizza, ... That kind of stuff.

You have noticed that most of the other small fast food places in your area have put signs and notes on their businesses, which state that their meat is Halal.
The following thought enters your mind:
"If I put a sign up for Halal meat but I will buy the normal stuff anyway, I will gain customers without spending more because now also Muslims will come to my business. Because Halal food is special, I can also rise the prize and therefore make an even better business."

-----------

Before you answer, please consider:
* Political situation
* Opinions of your peers and society
* Is there a moral or ethical dilemma?
* Religious rights
* How likely is a law suit?

-----------
Note: No I am not a business owner Wink

Discuss

Well, I would never have to consider that because I would not go Halal if most of the places around me are doing it. Let them compete for a new clientele, I'll concentrate on making the old clientele happier. Many of them will be open to switching to a non Halal place - my arms will be wide open to welcome them.

And if I did go Halal, the quality of mine would be well above the rest, because the new clientele needs to be impressed enough to bring me word of mouth traffic.

I would never even consider switching the Halal meat out, for business reasons. I build solid, long term businesses, not fly by night outfits.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Don't lie to make your living. It's unethical in any case, and also it's likely to be found out.

But it's fine to investigate and expose other liars if they really are deceiving their patrons.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
01-06-2016, 10:29 AM
(01-06-2016 09:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wonder would it be ok to sell beef to a Hindu and tell them it's lamb or chicken? Consider

I think not. I mean technically you can sell it to them. But the taste is very different. But I don't think the taste is different in the halal vs not halal example. Or is it? Do animals release some hormones or so that make the taste different when you kill them that way?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
01-06-2016, 10:48 AM
(01-06-2016 10:29 AM)Leela Wrote:  

I think not. I mean technically you can sell it to them. But the taste is very different. But I don't think the taste is different in the halal vs not halal example. Or is it? Do animals release some hormones or so that make the taste different when you kill them that way?

Maybe so, but it's all about the blood I think. The bleeding makes it a sacrifice. You can have your sacrifice and eat it, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-06-2016, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 12:46 PM by carol.)
(01-06-2016 08:32 AM)Leela Wrote:  Here is your thought experiment for you:

Imagine you are the owner of a small fast food restaurant in the UK or Ireland.
You sell the usual stuff: Burgers, Chips (US - Fries), Doner, Pizza, ... That kind of stuff.

You have noticed that most of the other small fast food places in your area have put signs and notes on their businesses, which state that their meat is Halal.
The following thought enters your mind:
"If I put a sign up for Halal meat but I will buy the normal stuff anyway, I will gain customers without spending more because now also Muslims will come to my business. Because Halal food is special, I can also rise the prize and therefore make an even better business."
-----------
I would never put up a deceptive sign. To me, it is like telling a customer the fish was fresh when it was frozen. It does not impact health issues, but it is deceptive. It is not a dilemma at all, deceptive business practices will cause problems in customer trust and respect, and it would also make me feel bad about myself and my business. It is likely that you would face some really strong payback in your neighborhood in the community, and eventually, you would get caught. It is very hard to keep a small business going, and the only way to stay alive is to do your very best at customer service and have the freshest food available for them. A lie like this could damage all that you have worked for. People would never completely trust you again.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 4 users Like carol's post
01-06-2016, 12:17 PM
(01-06-2016 10:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 10:29 AM)Leela Wrote:  I think not. I mean technically you can sell it to them. But the taste is very different. But I don't think the taste is different in the halal vs not halal example. Or is it? Do animals release some hormones or so that make the taste different when you kill them that way?

Maybe so, but it's all about the blood I think. The bleeding makes it a sacrifice. You can have your sacrifice and eat it, too.
So we are talking babies again? Tongue

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
01-06-2016, 12:58 PM
(01-06-2016 10:29 AM)Leela Wrote:  

My example was Hindus traditionally don't eat beef because it's sacred.

I actually buy kosher (sometimes) beef and chicken (always) whenever possible. The quality is far better than the crap they sell in the supermarket. The cows are carefully inspected and must be disease free before slaughter. After only certain parts are used (I believe the back end isn't used and resold to non-kosher stores and I know a few local restaurants that buy the non-kosher parts).

I have no problem with the slaughter process and believe it's really the most painless way to go. The animal generally bleeds out within a minute -- as opposed to other methods used in large scale meat processors.

Halal -- I've really no personal experience with.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-06-2016, 01:23 PM
I value honesty highly as an ethic that produces social good, so I would not lie. The practical consequences of being found out in such a lie would also far outweigh the benefits.

If I learned a store owner was lying to me, I would stop shopping at the store, tell other people about my experience, and possibly (depending on the kind of lie) report the store owner to regulators or authorities. I also think lying in this situation stems from contempt about the customers' beliefs, and it probably crosses the line into contempt for the customers--not good business practice.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
01-06-2016, 01:33 PM
(01-06-2016 01:23 PM)julep Wrote:  I value honesty highly as an ethic that produces social good, so I would not lie. The practical consequences of being found out in such a lie would also far outweigh the benefits.

If I learned a store owner was lying to me, I would stop shopping at the store, tell other people about my experience, and possibly (depending on the kind of lie) report the store owner to regulators or authorities. I also think lying in this situation stems from contempt about the customers' beliefs, and it probably crosses the line into contempt for the customers--not good business practice.

Yes, it's more of a question of ethics. Is it ethical to perpetrate a lie to customers? The answer, in my opinion, is always no.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post