Thought experiment - moral vs meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 06:26 PM by Aliza.)
RE: Thought experiment - moral vs meat
If you put up a sign in the window of your restaurant that says "Halal meat" and people are dumb enough to believe you, then they got what they asked for.

What is halal? To you, it might mean declaring out loud, "this meat is now halal!"

If, however, you put a trademarked sign up and your customers believe that you've gotten certification from a company that they know and trust to approve halal food, then that is not only immoral, but it's most likely illegal.

A sign that says "halal" may spark the interest of a Muslim customer, but they're most likely going to require a trademark such as one below to convince them that your food is actually halal.

[Image: 10885593_433229210159221_470333052383836699_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
01-06-2016, 01:44 PM
(01-06-2016 08:48 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So it's like Kosher is to Jewish people.

I not sure I see a problem with this scenario.

I think shop/store owners should do what they made their busness for.

To make money.

Unless I misunderstand, are you saying that the ends justify the means?

I sincerely hope not.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-06-2016, 02:00 PM
When I looked up how a kosher killing is done, I found it very cruel.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
01-06-2016, 05:35 PM
(01-06-2016 08:32 AM)Leela Wrote:  Here is your thought experiment for you:

Imagine you are the owner of a small fast food restaurant in the UK or Ireland.
You sell the usual stuff: Burgers, Chips (US - Fries), Doner, Pizza, ... That kind of stuff.

You have noticed that most of the other small fast food places in your area have put signs and notes on their businesses, which state that their meat is Halal.
The following thought enters your mind:
"If I put a sign up for Halal meat but I will buy the normal stuff anyway, I will gain customers without spending more because now also Muslims will come to my business. Because Halal food is special, I can also rise the prize and therefore make an even better business."

-----------

Before you answer, please consider:
* Political situation
* Opinions of your peers and society
* Is there a moral or ethical dilemma?
* Religious rights
* How likely is a law suit?

-----------
Note: No I am not a business owner Wink

Discuss
Can I serve bacon on the burgers?
01-06-2016, 05:44 PM
A lie is a lie. It would be both immoral and unethical to deceive the consumer in such a way. If I couldn't make a living honestly, I'd close the store. Period.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
(01-06-2016 02:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  When I looked up how a kosher killing is done, I found it very cruel.

I didn't like what I saw, either, and I watched both kosher and halal killing. FWIW, except in rare cases, beef cattle (one case where I know how it is done at packing plants) are stunned by a knock to the back of the skull. They are bled out and sliced up in the process, long before consciousness could recur. I don't count that as cruel, or "sacred/cleaner". I would never post a sign that my product was something it wasn't. If one is found out, one's reputation is toast.
01-06-2016, 09:42 PM
As a restaurant owner you are trusted with what we put in our mouths and bellies. Violating that trust will utterly destroy your business once exposed. It's a matter of 'when' not 'if'. If you are contemplating this then you know that other restaurant owners will have done the same. The more foolish and less ethical ones will have done it. Sooner or later one will get caught. It isn't as if the food service industry isn't famed for a high staff turn-over rate amongst individuals who often have some interesting egos. It's only a matter of time until a disgruntled former employee outs one of the dishonest restaurant owners. At this point you can expect a wave of inspections that will not be kind to anybody with similarly dishonest practices. Your reputation will be ruined, you will likely be sued and, depending on the circumstances, you could well face violent retaliation.

Oh. And it's wrong to lie, but that's the easy answer.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
01-06-2016, 10:44 PM
(01-06-2016 09:47 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 09:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wonder would it be ok to sell beef to a Hindu and tell them it's lamb or chicken? Consider

It's bad karma

But good Korma.

Yummy!

(01-06-2016 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
Halal -- I've really no personal experience with.

I have.

It's the reverse situation over here... some places advertise non-Halal in order to attract the generally wealthier Chinese and Western customers.

On a side note, I'm almost entirely veggie now... mainly for sadistic reasons.
I enjoy the confused / butt-hurt look on a waitress's face when I ask if they have anything non-Halal because I don't condone animal cruelty.

Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-06-2016, 07:13 AM
(01-06-2016 10:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 09:47 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's bad karma

But good Korma.

Yummy!

Damn it DLJ, stop making me look up foreign words...all it does is increase my knowledge base. Angry

(01-06-2016 10:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
Halal -- I've really no personal experience with.

I have.

It's the reverse situation over here... some places advertise non-Halal in order to attract the generally wealthier Chinese and Western customers.

On a side note, I'm almost entirely veggie now... mainly for sadistic reasons.
I enjoy the confused / butt-hurt look on a waitress's face when I ask if they have anything non-Halal because I don't condone animal cruelty.

Evil_monster

That’s just cruel. Dodgy

Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-06-2016, 07:55 AM
(01-06-2016 10:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  On a side note, I'm almost entirely veggie now... mainly for sadistic reasons.

Evil_monster

Note to self: Do not take DLJ to a kosher restaurant.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post