Thought experiment - moral vs meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 11:48 AM
RE: Thought experiment - moral vs meat
Regardless of what the other restaurants were doing in my locale, I wouldn't even contemplate buying halal foodstuffs, nor would I consider posting a "HALAL" sign in my shop. If it were only these things that attracted a Muslim clientele to my restaurant, then I'd rather they take their business elsewhere. I'd prefer they patronise me (if they so choose) solely because of the quality and pricing of my food, regardless of its source.

In Australia, sheep and cattle must be stunned prior to ritual bleeding out or sticking—sheep with an electric shock, and cattle with a captive bolt. Slaughter standards in commercial abattoirs are prescribed by the Australian Standard for the Hygienic Production of Meat and Meat Products for Human Consumption (AS 4696-2007).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-06-2016, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't want to provide Halal meat just to gain more business. Where I live there isn't a very strong Muslim community but there is a very strong Indian presence. There are even Bollywood movies shown at the local theater. I would want to attract them honestly by providing vegetarian options but mostly because I've been vegetarian and vegan myself and it's frustrating to find so few options.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
04-06-2016, 09:10 AM
There is a moral or ethical problem.

You would be decueving others for personal monetary profit.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.
04-06-2016, 01:08 PM
(04-06-2016 09:10 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  There is a moral or ethical problem.

You would be deceiving others for personal monetary profit.

Just as the church does when they pass the collection plate around their congregation every Sunday?

[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
04-06-2016, 01:14 PM
(04-06-2016 01:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 09:10 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  There is a moral or ethical problem.

Just as the church does when they pass the collection plate around their congregation every Sunday?

Forbid church goers to even carry money to church. No check books, no credit cards, and no cash. No IOU's either. No money and no thinking about money.

Problem solved.
04-06-2016, 06:40 PM
(04-06-2016 01:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

I don't know. I don't generally go to church of that sort.

I'm sure many line their pockets. But they are supposed to use that money to help those in need, missionary trips and upkeep/ maintenance for the church building

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.
04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Thought experiment - moral vs meat
I would put up a sign that clearly stated the food was NOT halal. I would never serve halal food.
06-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Powerful Muslim clerics in Jakarta are raising money for Islamic schools and mosques by forcing Australian businesses to pay an inflated religious levy on meat exports.

The Indonesian Council of Ulama (MUI), the top Islamic body which orders Fatwa religious rulings, is dictating how much Australian companies must pay to have their food certified as Halal, or legal under Islamic law.

MUI chairman Amidhan Shaberah yesterday said that setting minimum fees for Halal was "just part of our control''.

Dr Shaberah said Australian Halal certifiers should donate profits to Islamic mosques, Islamic schools, the Islamic community and other social activities.''

One major Queensland meat processor, which did not want to be identified, claimed it had been quoted $27,000 a month in Halal certification fees...

—news.com.au