Thought for the New Year

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
RE: Thought for the New Year
(01-01-2012 09:29 AM)cufflink Wrote:  A rubái (quatrain) of Omar Khayyám (1048-1131), the Persian philosopher, mathematician, astronomer, and poet. A fairly literal translation:

Khayyám, if you’re drunk with wine—be happy.
If you’ve spent a moment with a lovely maid—be happy.
The end of all life in the world is nothingness.
Imagine being nothing; now while you’re still something—be happy.

Thank you for posting this - I love the Rubai of Omar Khayyam!
Years ago, I fell in love with this work and conducted a little quest to find older bound copies of it, and was able to gather enough to hand out to loved ones at Xmas. The fun part for me was finding the copies, seeing how they differed between translations, and comparing the additional materials.
I enjoyed my little exploration and each time I see a copy in a bookstore, I pick it up just to see how that one was put together. Many include engravings and prints, some even have the work itself in a different elaborate script than the rest of the book, which might include critiques and discussions.
It's a wonderful work of prose and I'm so glad it continues to be remembered... thanks for reminding me! Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 12:56 PM
(03-01-2012 12:46 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 12:27 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 12:19 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  Life is all about eating, drinking , fucking , having fun & being "happy " haha

is that supposed to be the meaning of life ? silly really

Those activities are used simply as a vehicle to say, "enjoy life while you can," not to distill the meaning of life down to those banal activities alone. You've completely missed the point.

hallooooooo: i know that silly poem is all about enjoying life while you can , i am just saying that's not what life is all about

& the end of life is just the beginning of eternity, not nothingness

"Your are something" in life & in the after-life or otherwise, is determined by what you do in life , silly

I see. Well, while you entertain yourself with delusions at least remember to have fun and enjoy your life! Big Grin
03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
(03-01-2012 12:56 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 12:46 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 12:27 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 12:19 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  Life is all about eating, drinking , fucking , having fun & being "happy " haha

is that supposed to be the meaning of life ? silly really

Those activities are used simply as a vehicle to say, "enjoy life while you can," not to distill the meaning of life down to those banal activities alone. You've completely missed the point.

hallooooooo: i know that silly poem is all about enjoying life while you can , i am just saying that's not what life is all about

"Your are something" in life & in the after-life or otherwise, is determined by what you do in life , silly

I see. Well, while you entertain yourself with delusions at least remember to have fun and enjoy your life! Big Grin

Goes both ways , amigo

Do not forget to take a closer look at your atheistic beliefs delusions fairy tales either , Alice in wonderland , before you dare open your silly ignorant vulgar mouth about beliefs you do not know anything about

Enjoy life , life is too short indeed , i do not need you to remind me of that fact as you do not need me to remind you of just that

But tell me now , & this is the bottom line : is life all about enjoying it , according to you ?

what a bright vision of life haha
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
(03-01-2012 12:46 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  hallooooooo: i know that silly poem is all about enjoying life while you can , i am just saying that's not what life is all about

What else is your silly and unproven doctrine for, then to give your pathetic existence some added value in the form of backed air...

think about it...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
(03-01-2012 01:12 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 12:46 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  hallooooooo: i know that silly poem is all about enjoying life while you can , i am just saying that's not what life is all about

What else is your silly and unproven doctrine for, then to give your pathetic existence some added value in the form of backed air...

think about it...

You must have been talking to yourself while standing in front of the mirror = your own projections , silly vulgar ignorant freak

Do you consider those silly empty rhetorics of yours as arguments , moron ?

You have no idea about what you were talking about , dummy

You are obviously the pathetic one ,considering the fact that atheism is just yet another psychological disorder = just a lower degenerate form of christianity as Nietzsche said about humanism for example = just a secondary product & side effect of that silly opium drug : Paulusianism

Congratulations : i hate to deprive people of their own self-satisfying happy delusions hallucinations :

I hate to deprive people of their pathetic misery they seem to love so much

"Alienation makes most people happy & self-satisfied ", so : have fun with it , who cares

Think about it if you have the brain, imagination , creativity, intuition .... for at least , which i doubt seriously
03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
(03-01-2012 12:27 PM)kineo Wrote:  Good find cufflink, I like it! Big Grin

Glad you like it.

I've always loved the Rubáiyát. I got to know it, as most English speakers do, in FitzGerald's brilliant translation. Then when I learned some Persian I was able to compare FitzGerald with the original. There were only a few cases--like this one--where I thought FitzGerald had missed the mark and a more literal translation of the original was better.

Khayyam is not much esteemed in Iran (the Iranians far prefer Hafez, Ferdowsi, Rumi, . . . ), perhaps because of his unconventional philosophy that emphasizes enjoying the life we have rather than hoping for a better one to come.

"How sweet is mortal Sovranty!"--think some:
Others--"How blest the Paradise to come!"
Ah, take the Cash in hand and wave the Rest;
Oh, the brave Music of a distant Drum!

FitzGerald, 1st ed., XII

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
03-01-2012, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 02:14 PM by kineo.)
(03-01-2012 01:10 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  But tell me now , & this is the bottom line : is life all about enjoying it , according to you ?

Attribute whatever meaning you want to life- I'm not here to tell you "what it's all about."

Also with all of the negative adjectives in your posts you sound very unhappy- and you seem to aim your dissatisfaction at life toward those who don't hold your same dissatisfaction as if they are somehow causing it.

This one is my favorite:

AbdelZ Wrote:You must have been talking to yourself while standing in front of the mirror = your own projections , silly vulgar ignorant freak

In a thread saying just enjoy life, this is how you sound.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 03:15 PM by AbdelZ.)
(03-01-2012 02:07 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 01:10 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  But tell me now , & this is the bottom line : is life all about enjoying it , according to you ?

Attribute whatever meaning you want to life- I'm not here to tell you "what it's all about."

Also with all of the negative adjectives in your posts you sound very unhappy- and you seem to aim your dissatisfaction at life toward those who don't hold your same dissatisfaction as if they are somehow causing it.

This one is my favorite:

AbdelZ Wrote:You must have been talking to yourself while standing in front of the mirror = your own projections , silly vulgar ignorant freak

It's amazing how people like yourself make such stupid assumptions most of the time as you just did , ironically enough , amazing

Amazing is that self-deceit property of the human ...spirit really it always amazes me

" We all prefer to accuse or judge others in order to avoid being accused or being judged ourselves " Albert Camus : literature nobel prize winner

P.S.: You seem to have missed the point of that decadent poet i used to be familiar with during my decadent time : there is no meaning to life = nihillistic view
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
(03-01-2012 03:10 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  It's amazing how people like yourself make such stupid assumptions most of the time as you just did , ironically enough , amazing

Amazing is that self-deceit property of the human ...spirit really it always amazes me

" We all prefer to accuse or judge others in order to avoid being accused or being judged ourselves " Albert Camus : literature nobel prize winner

And self-deceit seems to apply to your belief in Islam.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
(03-01-2012 03:10 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 02:07 PM)kineo Wrote:  

This one is my favorite:

It's amazing how people like yourself make such stupid assumptions most of the time as you just did , ironically enough , amazing

What assumptions? Please clarify.