Thoughts From The Doubting Dragon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
RE: Thoughts From The Doubting Dragon
(06-10-2013 05:54 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 05:20 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Copy and paste from your blog?

Just curious, are you here for discussion or to increase traffic to your blog? Just askin.

Consider

Spoken like a true skeptic. But honestly, just wanting people to get to know me as I get to know people here as well. I'm new to the skeptic world, and simply offered the community here who may be interested other things I'm involved in as friends might. I guess I never thought about increasing numbers so much as letting my fellow unbelievers into my world. Really wanting help along this new path. I have a lot of questions and look forward to learning. Apologies if I did a no-no.
Fair enough. And thanks for not freaking out. It was an honest query. I am, indeed, a true skeptic. Glad to have someone else willing to question everything aboard. Welcome.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
You are lucky to have a spouse who shares your mindset. Congratulations and i enjoyed reading your post.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
07-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Unfortunately for you and your wife, this issue of your sincerity being questioned will continue to be one of the worst sore spots in your ongoing interactions with family - at least it has been for me. NOTHING will convince anyone. I learned more about philosophy, religion, evolution AND the bible than anyone in my family. I was deeply involved in ministry and biblical interpretation. I still have my Greek New Testament. But most importantly, I prayed - HARD. Few people at the Christian college where I attended were as gravely sincere as I.

YET - for many in my family I am just a lost soul, confused and uneducated - despite the fact that they KNOW they can't debate me about any topic in the bible. They know my knowledge in these areas is deep and developed - they pass it off as that I was insincere in my approach. I have just gotten to the point where I realized that it will be impossible to convince them of anything - but I still have tried to demonstrate my sincerity.

If you look at it from their perspective - you can see how dangerous this is. If I do know more than they do, and I WAS sincere..... then, why don't I believe? Either god closed my eyes to the obvious truth before me.... or, its not true. They don't want to go there, and they don't want to even IMAGINE going there. Thus, they revert back to me.

After a while, you learn to realize that convincing someone else is a bit of a misguided goal - that you have to come to peace with explaining yourself, and being comfortable with your own explanations. There is no way to convince someone who isn't open to it, and it will just lead to heartache. Say your peace to them, be at peace with it. I wished I had not wasted so much time and energy and emotional resources on this impossible task.

Regarding your question about Jesus' second coming, from time to time we have people who come here to ask us why christians think they way they do about various scriptures. I think its plain from the text that someone - either the writers of the gospels or if he existed, then possibly Jesus himself, thought that the end of the world and judgment WAS about to happen. But, I do have trouble thinking like a christian anymore...... Clearly they can reinterpret the scriptures to mean whatever they want to mean. See some of the theist postings on here from the Atheism and Theism debates, and you will see what I mean.....

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
[+] 1 user Likes Skippy538's post
07-10-2013, 05:39 AM
(06-10-2013 05:07 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  ...
I remember through the years trying to read the bible by myself and with her. It was painful every time. We didn't read much together and I would usually fall asleep very quickly trying on my own. I know now it was because of my doubts that it was so difficult to read and believe.

I wasn't because of your doubts, it was because it is soooooooooo fuuuuuurking tedious.

Thanks for sharing.

It is heartening to read about a success story once in a while.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Well said Skippy. I agree, we will never change the minds of those who just want to believe it. It is deep rooted. I guess it was an easier transition for me because I've had doubts for so long.

I see what you mean about x'stians interpreting the scriptures to what they want them to mean. On these particular scriptures, I was hoping to find someone here that has some good knowledge or knows what what meant specifically. Reading them at face value I see how they can be interpreted in different ways.

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
09-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Last night, my wife was telling me more about her conversation the other day with her mother. Her mom was giving most of the usual reasons why she believed. When my wife had an answer or response, her mom might come back with more, but would also say, “I can see your point.” or would just move on to the next thing, likely because she had no answer back to my wife.

Then the big one came. Her mother made the comment, “God works through people.” Another argument that is supposed to be convincing I guess. To which my wife responded, “Of course, he has to, because he’s not there.”

Now I’ve heard a lot of things in my recent search and listening to podcasts that make me stop and go, “Wow, never thought of it like that.” But this was probably the most profound thing I’ve heard in a while. It hit me hard. It her her mother hard too. Her mom had a look of shock and probably could see how far away from being a christian my wife was. And unless better evidence comes along for god, she likely won’t be going back.

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
[+] 3 users Like DoubtingDragon's post
09-10-2013, 10:24 PM
(09-10-2013 05:06 AM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  SNIP

Then the big one came. Her mother made the comment, “God works through people.” Another argument that is supposed to be convincing I guess. To which my wife responded, “Of course, he has to, because he’s not there.”

SNIP

Bang! That's the hammer!

The more you think about it, the concept of God "hiding" from us " 'cause we bad" is really so silly and dysfunctional, you wonder how you ever believed it at all... Very happy for you two.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.