Thoughts before bed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Thoughts before bed
So I forget where I saw this picture, likely Pinterest, but it was like a starving child in some poor country. The caption was something along the lines of "how can God exist and allow this to happen?" I'm sure you know the type.
Anyway I know most Christians say things like that are because of sin. And now, it's just horrible to me.
There's songs like "Jesus loves the little children all the children of the world"
And then Christians like to say that until you're of an accountable age God doesn't hold your sins against you basically.
But kids are starving and dying.. And Jesus loves them? Kids are being abused and Jesus loves them but it's allowed to happen.

Or is sin different based on where you live and how much money you have? Sure you get rewarded for you're troubles in the afterlife but that's only if you accept Jesus when you're old enough to be held accountable if you're sins and actions.

Does that make sense?
According again to Christians all sins are equal, they are punished in the same way.. So why are people suffering greater than others? Why are people sinning and living comfortably while others suffer through their sins?? Because they are saved? Does it really make that big of a difference? But wait! There's people who are saved but suffering through sin.
If the suffering of the world is due to sin, then why is it not the same for everyone if the punishment of not accepting Jesus is the same?

Because Christians say all sin is equal in gods eyes but some people really do suffer more..

Honestly I don't even know if I made the point I originally wanted to make because I nearly forgot to post this until I was half asleep.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
06-06-2016, 09:24 PM
RE: Thoughts before bed
I think it's more because sin/evil is *in* the world that bad things happen, moreso than because an individual sinned and deserves their "punishment." This is especially the excuse given for kids getting abused/starving to death/cancer/etc. because we all know they don't deserve that, but somebody has to come up with some excuse for justification.

But then you get into the problem of whether god is an interventionist god or not. If he just set the world in motion and evil simply exists and affects people indiscriminately, fine, things make sense (in the best way they could for theology, I guess). But if he actually intervenes in peoples' lives, then you have a problem which requires substantially more mental gymnastics and self-delusion.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
06-06-2016, 10:39 PM
The world only makes sense when you realize there isn't a sky daddy watching over everyone.

A warm feeling while you are praying doesn't feed a hungry child.
A good coincidence in your favor doesn't stop disease.
"I had my 10th interview and finally got the job of my dreams after I asked for god's help. "

The more developed the country you live in, the less hunger and starvation there is.
This isn't dependent on religion. It's all about the economy of the country.

Any god that has zero effect on starvation doesn't exist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-06-2016, 12:02 AM
(06-06-2016 09:17 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So I forget where I saw this picture, likely Pinterest, but it was like a starving child in some poor country. The caption was something along the lines of "how can God exist and allow this to happen?" I'm sure you know the type.
Anyway I know most Christians say things like that are because of sin. And now, it's just horrible to me.
There's songs like "Jesus loves the little children all the children of the world"
And then Christians like to say that until you're of an accountable age God doesn't hold your sins against you basically.
But kids are starving and dying.. And Jesus loves them? Kids are being abused and Jesus loves them but it's allowed to happen.

Or is sin different based on where you live and how much money you have? Sure you get rewarded for you're troubles in the afterlife but that's only if you accept Jesus when you're old enough to be held accountable if you're sins and actions.

Does that make sense?
According again to Christians all sins are equal, they are punished in the same way.. So why are people suffering greater than others? Why are people sinning and living comfortably while others suffer through their sins?? Because they are saved? Does it really make that big of a difference? But wait! There's people who are saved but suffering through sin.
If the suffering of the world is due to sin, then why is it not the same for everyone if the punishment of not accepting Jesus is the same?

Because Christians say all sin is equal in gods eyes but some people really do suffer more..

Honestly I don't even know if I made the point I originally wanted to make because I nearly forgot to post this until I was half asleep.

All of the crappiest places in the world are the places that are the most mystical. That is not a coincidence.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-06-2016, 05:26 AM
The problem of evil basically falsifies the concept of a god that loves and cares for humanity.

Human choice is not a sufficient explanation and rings hollow. The Mormon theodicy asserts god is trying to allow us to become better through suffering.

That's just as stupid, pointless suffering blows a hole in both of these theodicies.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-06-2016, 06:58 AM
im gonna turn into Apologist Man here and explain. if people were punished and rewarded perectly according to their personal sins then it would be too obvious that god was real and it wouldnt require faith to believe in him. gods needs you to have faith because reasons.
07-06-2016, 07:23 AM
(07-06-2016 06:58 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  im gonna turn into Apologist Man here and explain. if people were punished and rewarded perectly according to their personal sins then it would be too obvious that god was real and it wouldnt require faith to believe in him. gods needs you to have faith because reasons.

He requires a lot of faith then.
07-06-2016, 07:45 AM
(07-06-2016 07:23 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:58 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  im gonna turn into Apologist Man here and explain. if people were punished and rewarded perectly according to their personal sins then it would be too obvious that god was real and it wouldnt require faith to believe in him. gods needs you to have faith because reasons.

He requires a lot of faith then.

The answers aren't supposed to make sense or be real, they're just supposed to shut down dissent. That's how apologist tactics work. So yeah, if anyone stops to think about it they be all like "Huh?" but... for those who prefer to believe that reality is pink and fluffy, all they want is an answer that *seems* intellectual enough, so they can keep dreaming the dream.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-06-2016, 09:33 AM
fear not tho. if you follow the flock like a good little sheep you'll get your reward in the end. by that i mean after you're dead, when you are incapable of realizing you've been duped all your life. how convenient, eh?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
07-06-2016, 10:08 AM
If sin didn't exist then how can the church, any church, save you from it?
Sin not existing would seriously harm their income and limit their control.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.