Thoughts of a technology addicted nerd

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Thoughts of a technology addicted nerd
My thoughts for the week.

- What would mankind be like if there was the ability to interact the mind with electronic communication, instantly, with anyone, anywhere in the world? A collective. (anyone ever played Deus Ex? I know, I know... I used a video game reference... but sci fi is often times where many crazy ideas have come from) What would we be like? How accepting of things would people be? Would people refuse it? Why?

- Is it inevitable that science will always push forward? People seem to fear it, yet it has exponentially gained momentum in the last century. When people resist it, it seems to only hold off for a period of time and keep moving. Is it simply because mankind is curious and we refuse to allow our curiosity to be curbed?

- Are eugenics the next horrible weapon? Or is it our chance to outlive what we previously thought possible?

- I remember as a kid thinking... "I can only imagine what things will be like someday.." - I remember when I built my first computer in the 7th grade. A 486dx2. Slow as molasses. Then my first gaming machine. A 233mmx. Growing up playing starcraft broodwar and learning to build pcs. This year I built a great gaming machine, an i7 2600k with 8 gigs of 2133 ram, amazing sound system and a 550 Ti video card.

My i7 2600k will do 83 GIGAFLOPS. My first computer was 0.05 GFLOPS (The 486dx2). That means that my computer today is capable of approximately 1,660x faster than that one single computer.

If someone told me at the age of my first computer - "See this hard drive with a few hundred megs on it? Someday, you'll have terabytes of space! and that ram? The ram will be measured in gigabytes... and that processor? Multiple ghz with multiple cpus all at the same time. And there will be accelerator cards for your video cards, they'll call them GPUs." I'd have told them they were full of shit.

I look back now and I laugh. But how could I have possibly fathomed that something I can hold in my hand such as that processor would be so incredible now in something as quick as a decade?

- I remember thinking about cars progressing with technology - what will we see tomorrow? Quantum levitation offers some interesting stuff for transportation. Remember wipeout? Will we have a wipeout-esque sport someday? Will public railways be railways? I remember dreaming of a kid of having levitating vehicles. It was only a dream. Now it's within our grasp.

What does tomorrow hold?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2012, 07:41 AM
RE: Thoughts of a technology addicted nerd
I think the cost and impracticality of magnetic runways and liquid nitrogen cooling will hold quantum levitation transportation back for a long time yet. There will probably be uses for its ability to hold an object static first.

I remember seeing Windows and a mouse for the first time and thinking it would never catch on so what do I know.
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
RE: Thoughts of a technology addicted nerd
I recommend you read Accelerando by Charles Stross. It's available for free online and considering your interests you will probably like it.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-sta...intro.html

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss