Thoughts on BLM

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Thoughts on BLM
Black Lives Matter(BLM) is a group that defines itself as a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes. Police and vigilantes. On the groups website it mentions nothing but cases of black men and women being harassed or in some cases killed by these two groups. Now although I do agree that the recent killings of the cases mentioned do deserve some recognition I think its rather peculiar that only these groups were mentioned.

May 23 2016 Edward Nero was cleared of all charges against him in the death of the Freddie Gray. Most are calling for justice to be dealt(well the justice they want). The previous day (in the exact same city where Freddie Gray's death took place) Cortez Brown was shot and later died at a Siana hospital. The suspect, Brandon Lucas has been charged with first degree murder of Brown. Both the suspect and the victim were black.

Now this of course is no isolated incident. There are many cities throughout the U.S. where black on black killings are embarrassingly high and have been for some time.

Police were responsible for 102 unarmed black people in 2015 in the entire country. In the same year 366 black men were killed in the city of Chicago. Of that number police were responsible for 11. Of the 366, 67 of the suspects were black themselves and only 7 from other groups. That's right 287 of those killed don't even have suspects. Meaning the number can only go up for black men killed by other black men.

Now there are other cities that have similar statistics such as Baltimore, Oakland, New Orleans, and New York but for the sake of time I will invite you to do your own research.

Now I bring up these statistics not to say that the wrongful killings of black people across the country do not deserve attention or proper justice. Quite the contrary. I also fear for my life when pulled over so I understand this problem does exist. My problem is with the lack of attention to our own communities as black people. It is laughable that we cry over just a handful of instances against cops and not even mention the death of others. On the black lives matter website there is not one article or mention of deaths black men and women committed by other black men and women. I have seen many different demonstrations and protest in response to the killings of black people by cops. Many people tweet and discuss about this issue. But not a march, demonstration, or protest of this problem we have in our own communities.

This BLM movement is nothing more than the new NAACP which did nothing but exploit their own culture for hopes of a nice check. They are nothing more than hypocrites.

For those of you who support this movement, have you ever thought that we do not get the respect we seek due to black people not even respecting themselves, their communities, or anyone else for that matter? Until we can actually show respect to each other how can we demand respect from those outside of our culture?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like MrKrispy601's post
24-05-2016, 12:58 PM
RE: Thoughts on BLM
I used to support it, then I realized it was crap.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-05-2016, 01:28 PM
I agree that black-on-black crime is the elephant in the room which BLM is ignoring.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2016, 01:31 PM
(24-05-2016 01:28 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I agree that black-on-black crime is the elephant in the room which BLM is ignoring.

You seem to have a point here. There is a lot of black-on-black crime.

☆☆☆
24-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Yes, there is a lot of black on black crime. But that doesn't make it ok for blacks or anyone to be mistreated by police.

That said, police mistreat others too. The homeless could probably tell a story or two.

I was hanging out a lot with cops when I was training dogs. I never heard a racist word out of that particular group. But I did hear a lot of calloused, abusive remarks about perps and the public in general. Enough to make me myself fear street interactions with police. I don't know if it was just male bragging (this particular group was all male) or if they actually felt and acted that way.

Police work is dangerous and unpredictable, and somewhat like being in a war, all the time. It's not surprising if they grow calloused. And it's not surprising to see one snap here and there. It's not exactly a cushy job.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
24-05-2016, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 03:23 PM by Adrianime.)
The black on black crime "point" is a red herring. Statistically, just like you are more likely to be killed by somebody you know, you are also more likely to know more people with a similar ethnicity.

Think about this: Why is white on white crime never mentioned even though it has similar numbers as black on black crime?

Edit:
Article Wrote:These data cover all violent crimes except murder, but the number of murders is tiny compared to other violent crimes.
Look at these numbers from 2013 (if this works): source
[Image: NCFS-Table.jpg]

Of white victims, the LARGE majority of offenders were white (56%). With black victims, we see similar numbers (62.2% of offenders are black). Pointing out that black people hurt black people means nothing. And the fact that it is brought up so often only supports a terrible notion: a general (and racist) idea that black people are inherently violent.

That all being said, I'm not "on board" with Black Lives Matter. I think racism is definitely in the US and a huge problem. But the sentiment that Black Lives Matter ... which has undertones of "most cops are racist", just creates unneeded hostility.

Other charts from the source above:
[Image: WhiteOffenders.jpg]
[Image: BlackOffenders.jpg]
[Image: HispanicOffenders.jpg]

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 5 users Like Adrianime's post
24-05-2016, 03:35 PM
(24-05-2016 02:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yes, there is a lot of black on black crime. But that doesn't make it ok for blacks or anyone to be mistreated by police.

That said, police mistreat others too. The homeless could probably tell a story or two.

No argument from me on that score. The point, though, is that if BLM is about black lives mattering, ought they not be addressing the far larger causes as well?

I'm completely against police abrogation of the rights of anyone at any time for whatever reason, and yes, I've seen enough civil-rights violations to know that they happen amongst all demographics. My point, though is not about police attitudes, but rather about BLM's attitudes.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2016, 03:45 PM
(24-05-2016 02:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Pointing out that black people hurt black people means nothing. And the fact that it is brought up so often only supports a terrible notion: a general (and racist) idea that black people are inherently violent.

I certainly don't believe that.

The reason why BoB crime is being brought up here is because we're talking about BLM, not WLM.
24-05-2016, 04:02 PM
(24-05-2016 03:45 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 02:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Pointing out that black people hurt black people means nothing. And the fact that it is brought up so often only supports a terrible notion: a general (and racist) idea that black people are inherently violent.

I certainly don't believe that.

The reason why BoB crime is being brought up here is because we're talking about BLM, not WLM.
Black on Black Crime as a talking point hugely predates the Black Lives Matter movement.

24-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Bringing up black on black crime in the context of "Black Lives Matter" undermines the sentiment--and really the point--of the entire movement. Perhaps the movement should be worded better.

But,

"There is a problem with a system that has left black people disproportionately in poverty, leading to heightened crime -- which leads to negative stereotypes that add to an already historical stigma on black people, which even further leads to black victims who are victimized by law enforcement (or outright racism) because they are stereotyped as violent, criminals, or simply "less human""

is probably too much of a mouthful.

What the movement is trying to address isn't the instances of violence against black people. It's trying to address a system that encourages it, hides it, and in some ways causes it. At least that's how I see it. I don't consider myself part of the movement.

[+] 7 users Like Adrianime's post