Thoughts on BLM

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-06-2016, 05:26 AM
RE: Thoughts on BLM
Although it's on a far, far smaller scale, in Australia we definitely have an issue similar to the US's with the treatment of our Aborigines by law enforcement agencies, educational institutes, hospitals etc. The rate of incarceration for Aborigines far outweighs that of whites on a pro-rata basis. Very few Aborigines can make it to university, and you never see an aboriginal teacher, doctor, accountant or pharmacist on a day-to-day frequency.

Of course in Australia, the two major things holding back/destroying aboriginal lives are alcohol and preventable diseases. Plus too many Aborigines die in police custody because of "unforeseeable circumstances" or "regrettable incidents" [sic]. And all too often, they've been arrested for relatively minor offences such as drunk and disorderly, offensive language, public urination, minor shoplifting (like Michael Brown?) etc.

The point being that whites would invariably walk away from these charges with a summons to appear in court at a later date, but most definitely wouldn't be locked up—like the Aborigines are for similar misdemeanours.

I know that these scenarios are vastly different to the Brown and officer Darren Wilson case, but I guess the same underlying principles are there. Well... except for one major and defining difference; Brown attempted to disarm a LEO in the course of his lawfully authorised duty by seizing his sidearm—which was subsequently discharged twice—and with the potential for the officer's demise.

Had Brown not forcibly resisted arrest, and not attacked the officer, he'd be alive today.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2016, 10:48 AM
(23-06-2016 10:26 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The black-on-black killings are a distraction, and have nothing to do with the BLM.

Their issue is with the systematic harassment and targeting by police of people of color, and poor communities in general. Our country had, for DECADES, denied to black neighborhoods what was given to white neighborhoods (low-interest loans, infrastructure investments, etc.), and then tried to blame the people in those rotten-out areas for the actions of the most desperate among them. The Drug War's origins are clearly rooted in racist policies, openly stated by their proponents, and they have furthered the issues of poverty in those neighborhoods/cities by preventing literally millions of black men and women from having a real chance at life-- affecting their descendants, as well. Nixon made it quite clear in his discussions about ramping up the Drug War to its current militarized state that it would have the effect of disemboweling the civil rights movements among those communities, which he saw as a threat to the particular order he wanted for our nation.

The BLM are concerned with the treatment of their communities by police, the racial profiling (whether it is justified or not, and I say it is not, is irrelevant to this), and the disproportionate penalties applied to members of their community by our legal system while sheltering those who perpetrate these actions. It is not just about the killing; the killing is only the most dangerous/prominent of the issues they face.

Simply put, the BLM people (however misguided or inappropriate) are sick of being treated as second-class citizens. Much of what happens to the black community is invisible to us WASP-types, which includes people of color who did not grow up in the conditions that spawned the BLM, because we sit comfortably in our bubble of privilege, able to ignore it.

And our reaction, in trying to figure out whether or not the actions of the BLM are appropriate, or whether they can be blamed for the things that happen to them, only serves to tell them they are righteous in their cause.

I agree with what you are saying. There are forces that are beyond the control of the people in those conditions. I think about their conditions. A lot. There is no getting away from the facts that there are real problems with the system. That people have been dealt a short hand. And it won't change.

What am I saying? That as long as blame goes elsewhere, then you expect the solution to come from elsewhere. And that's not going to happen. It's not fair. It's not right. But it's the reality.

Once people accept that outsiders won't bring change, then they will embrace the idea that the only way change comes is from within. Bootstrap themselves out of it. I think the way to do that is to focus on developing skills for the economy of today and tomorrow. Granted it's a challenge in those conditions. It's not going to be easy. But it has to be the focus, not necessarily of BLM, but at least the elected leaders.

With economic power, these kind of outcomes tend to take a backseat.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
24-06-2016, 12:20 PM
(24-06-2016 10:48 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Once people accept that outsiders won't bring change, then they will embrace the idea that the only way change comes is from within.

Why don't you begin work on changing the system, and maybe others will help you. Don't expect others to begin work on it just because you think it is a good idea - you have to give them something to work with. And that is the crux of black people's plight in corporate organization: blacks want to just make-up ideas and expect other people to work on it. Blacks do not understand that the generation of an idea requires the originator to get the idea developed in explanation so others can develop the detailed areas.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
24-06-2016, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 04:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-06-2016 12:20 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 10:48 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Once people accept that outsiders won't bring change, then they will embrace the idea that the only way change comes is from within.

Why don't you begin work on changing the system, and maybe others will help you. Don't expect others to begin work on it just because you think it is a good idea - you have to give them something to work with. And that is the crux of black people's plight in corporate organization: blacks want to just make-up ideas and expect other people to work on it. Blacks do not understand that the generation of an idea requires the originator to get the idea developed in explanation so others can develop the detailed areas.

bah.... Tell that to Farrakhan. Tell that to MLK. Tell that to Malcom X. Tell that to Keith Ellison. Say that to John Lewis. Tell that to Elijah Cummings. Tell that to Donna Edwards. Tell that to André Carson. ...... Is it because the colored folk game the system far better than you which makes you so jealous? It's not their fault you are too ignorant to fill out the proper forms.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2016, 04:31 PM
If they are "gaming the system" so well, why are blacks still claiming to be discriminated by the system?

Oh, and why is Farrakhan failing in his bid to lead blacks to occupy Detroit?
Drooling

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
24-06-2016, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 04:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-06-2016 04:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  If they are "gaming the system" so well, why are blacks still claiming to be discriminated by the system?

To game the system even more, silly. Dafug's wrong with you indigent BrotherMan? You want some Girly aid? I know about these pills which can make you a darkie.

#sigh
24-06-2016, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 05:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-06-2016 04:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  If they are "gaming the system" so well, why are blacks still claiming to be discriminated by the system?

Oh, and why is Farrakhan failing in his bid to lead blacks to occupy Detroit?
Drooling

Because they figured Wichita was a better command center than Detroit because Kansas Governor is a complete fucking idiot. How can you not ridicule him.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2016, 05:52 PM
(23-06-2016 02:35 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Oh goodie the frequently homeless, jobless, welfare reliant, failure wh dropped out of the same collage twice who can't finish a basic outline of his thoughts in under a decade is calling other people "white trash".
Dude, I am at a Yankees game tonight getting tucked-upped, and tucking with you peon trash talkers.

Go to my Facebook page
And see where I sit - I can't seem to be able to load the pic here.

24-06-2016, 11:02 PM
I don't know why they don't report the incidents of white people getting into fights at their kindergarten graduations... Racist country!

http://nypost.com/2016/06/24/parents-bra...-ceremony/

24-06-2016, 11:15 PM
(24-06-2016 05:52 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 02:35 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Oh goodie the frequently homeless, jobless, welfare reliant, failure wh dropped out of the same collage twice who can't finish a basic outline of his thoughts in under a decade is calling other people "white trash".
Dude, I am at a Yankees game tonight getting tucked-upped, and tucking with you peon trash talkers.

Go to my Facebook page
And see where I sit - I can't seem to be able to load the pic here.

And I care because.....? Do you think going to a baseball game makes you some how magically not a failure at life? Cause it don't, you're just a failure in a different location lol

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.