Thoughts on BLM

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-06-2016, 02:19 PM
RE: Thoughts on BLM
(12-06-2016 11:50 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Mike Brown was no thug. Anyone who knew him said he was just a regular kid, and generally a nice one. The video of him getting in the face of the shopkeeper shows that he only turned on the guy after he physically tried to bar his exit. The boys tried to buy cigars (doubtless to make blunts out of) but were denied because they weren't 18, so they took them... wrong, but hardly thuggish. I don't know too many teenagers who would have behaved differently, under the circumstances.
Point taken. My real point was that after seeing that video clip, it makes it easier for those so predisposed(and there are many) to believe that he also acted in an aggressive and intimidating way towards the cop.

I just think that there are less controversial(without negative videos) cut and dried cases such as Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, John Crawford III etc that BLM should prefer to highlight.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2016, 02:58 PM
(12-06-2016 01:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 01:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  This is a video from one of my friends who lives in the suburb next to Ferguson. Compare it to how your mental images of the place depict it, based on what the media have shown:

Thank your friend for me. That was fucking brilliant.

Corey's a heck of a guy.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-06-2016, 03:50 PM
(24-05-2016 12:13 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  For those of you who support this movement, have you ever thought that we do not get the respect we seek due to black people not even respecting themselves, their communities, or anyone else for that matter? Until we can actually show respect to each other how can we demand respect from those outside of our culture?
And that is what you are experiencing - black people are not dull because they are black, they are stupid because of their culture. The black culture is broken because it is based on racism and in an interracial society - blacks need to do community autonomously to learn how to do it. Relying on white people to save the day does you no good.

(24-05-2016 04:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  "There is a problem with a system that has left black people disproportionately in poverty, leading to heightened crime -- which leads to negative stereotypes that add to an already historical stigma on black people, which even further leads to black victims who are victimized by law enforcement (or outright racism) because they are stereotyped as violent, criminals, or simply "less human""
Well, don't expect your "oppressors" to fix the problem - in your eyes they never will, otherwise, they become your heroes. And this is the problem with #BlackLivesMatter, they do not offer any legislative adjustments - they are not writing the comprehensive organizational plan for (criminal) justice.

Don't tell me that you have never heard that the United States was founded by racist slave owners. I am sure I have heard that all my life, but I have never seen a sample rendition of a constitution written by black people, who are the leading proponents of social justice.

Heed my appeal; tell all your black friends to tell all their black friends that black people need to write the just political charter, if they want to prove their worth to the legends of their civil rights leaders. Nelson Mandela died knowing that educated black people would rather cry, "oppression," in America than help him organize a just nation for black people. President Obama was lecturing Constitutional Law when Mandela was released from prison. If there were any black people who helped Mandela, we would know the names of the people who wrote the more just constitution; but that did not happen, and black people do not understand what that means, because their culture is broken

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
12-06-2016, 03:52 PM
(12-06-2016 03:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 12:13 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  For those of you who support this movement, have you ever thought that we do not get the respect we seek due to black people not even respecting themselves, their communities, or anyone else for that matter? Until we can actually show respect to each other how can we demand respect from those outside of our culture?
And that is what you are experiencing - black people are not dull because they are black, they are stupid because of their culture. The black culture is broken because it is based on racism and in an interracial society - blacks need to do community autonomously to learn how to do it. Relying on white people to save the day does you no good.

(24-05-2016 04:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  "There is a problem with a system that has left black people disproportionately in poverty, leading to heightened crime -- which leads to negative stereotypes that add to an already historical stigma on black people, which even further leads to black victims who are victimized by law enforcement (or outright racism) because they are stereotyped as violent, criminals, or simply "less human""
Well, don't expect your "oppressors" to fix the problem - in your eyes they never will, otherwise, they become your heroes. And this is the problem with #BlackLivesMatter, they do not offer any legislative adjustments - they are not writing the comprehensive organizational plan for (criminal) justice.

Don't tell me that you have never heard that the United States was founded by racist slave owners. I am sure I have heard that all my life, but I have never seen a sample rendition of a constitution written by black people, who are the leading proponents of social justice.

Heed my appeal; tell all your black friends to tell all their black friends that black people need to write the just political charter, if they want to prove their worth to the legends of their civil rights leaders. Nelson Mandela died knowing that educated black people would rather cry, "oppression," in America than help him organize a just nation for black people. President Obama was lecturing Constitutional Law when Mandela was released from prison. If there were any black people who helped Mandela, we would know the names of the people who wrote the more just constitution; but that did not happen, and black people do not understand what that means, because their culture is broken

Girly where are you?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-06-2016, 04:48 PM
(12-06-2016 03:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

Hi Trainwreck, long time no see. How have you been?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Thoughts on the subject of the BLM: eh. I agree that there is a disproportionate amount of violence aimed at black people in this country. And I agree that police officers are more likely to target black people and minorities. And I agree that this is something that needs to change. I dislike racial profiling and I dislike abuse of power. However I am more inclined to overhaul the entire system with the idea that all lives matter and that all people have essential liberty and that abuses of power should not and will not be tolerated. How many women are raped by cops? How often do people have their assets seized without due process? How often are people detained or harassed by cops without probable cause?

Thoughts on the BLM movement: eeewwww. While there are many who are perfectly decent and fighting for the right things, there are many out there who are not. What bothers me is when you bring up that EVERYONE is hurt by abuse of authority they minimize or dismiss the harm against those not in the "in group" of black Americans. Or they say it isn't as urgent. As if overhauling the system won't help everyone.
12-06-2016, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 06:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-06-2016 03:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  ...

Girlyman is happy to see you yet live. Try not to be your usual asshole.

#sigh
12-06-2016, 06:36 PM
(10-06-2016 10:28 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Again you fail to see the point and are diverting away from the question. You again went into how pointing out a problem is doing a disservice to black people. The black on black crime rate is not just some coined term and its surely not a pocket of violence. The numbers are alarming and you and everyone using this flaccid arguments know it. But just like so many of my fellow black people you insist on playing this victim card.
I clearly asked you what this "question" is and you didn't clarify. I still am not sure.

And no, I'm not saying pointing out the problem is doing a disservice to black people, I'm saying repeating the coined phrase "black on black violence/crime" is perpetuating a negative view of black people. Perpetuating the constant racism I see when reading what people say about black people and how our "kind", "can't even stop from killing each other."

I already posted numbers that show crime related to ethnicity.

And saying I'm playing a victim card is just ridiculous
1. I'm trying to make a point that the widespread usage of the phrase IS contributing to a negative view of black people.
2. I'm trying to address the actual root causes of the crime/violence, rather than jumping to an ethnic description of the victim or offender.
3. You might think I'm passionate about this, but I'm not at all. I'm just speaking my opinion on the matter.
4. I do NOT support the BLM movement.

I have no issues with researching and addressing the issue of crime/violence where the accused and the victim are both black. That's great. I just think
1. The phrase "black on black crime/voilence" is actually doing harm by becoming so widespread and so quick to think of.
2. Pointing out that there are black victims and black offenders while people are trying to fight for a completely different cause (such as BLM) is disruptive to what that cause is trying to achieve.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
12-06-2016, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 07:02 PM by TrainWreck.)
(12-06-2016 06:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm saying repeating the coined phrase "black on black violence/crime" is perpetuating a negative view of black people. Perpetuating the constant racism I see when reading what people say about black people and how our "kind", "can't even stop from killing each other."
You want to prove that black people know justice better than white people then you better do something about this black on black crime - why would just people perpetrate an injustice on their just brethren??? Facepalm

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
12-06-2016, 08:13 PM
(12-06-2016 06:52 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 06:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm saying repeating the coined phrase "black on black violence/crime" is perpetuating a negative view of black people. Perpetuating the constant racism I see when reading what people say about black people and how our "kind", "can't even stop from killing each other."
You want to prove that black people know justice better than white people then you better do something about this black on black crime - why would just people perpetrate an injustice on their just brethren??? Facepalm
Why would black people know justice better than white people?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post