Thoughts on BLM

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-06-2016, 11:06 PM
RE: Thoughts on BLM
(14-06-2016 07:50 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 07:40 PM)Losty Wrote:  Nothing makes a person subhuman or trash. Nothing justifies treating another person like they're subhuman or trash.

Paedophilia does. I'd be happy to throw the switch.

That is too good for them Drinking Beverage

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2016, 11:09 PM
(14-06-2016 04:10 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  [Image: 9c014bf276f530f6c24f527f2c277a46.jpg]
Who was that directed at? TrainWreck? SYZ? Metazoa Zeke? Me? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-06-2016, 11:30 PM
(14-06-2016 11:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 04:10 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  [Image: 9c014bf276f530f6c24f527f2c277a46.jpg]
Who was that directed at? TrainWreck? SYZ? Metazoa Zeke? Me? Consider

That was for TrainWreck.

I am sorry this was not obvious.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-06-2016, 11:35 PM
(14-06-2016 11:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  While the black community certainly has its own violence issues, I'm bothered by the "all lives matter" response because it is a way of dismissing the very real concerns of BLM. I saw an excellent way of representing this idea, which I will quote rather than butchering the paraphrase:

Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment -- indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!

The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.
No. Black people have a broken culture that keeps them down - they do not trust each other. They do not know how to educate themselves. And they blame it all on white people treating them like the burden on society that they are.

(14-06-2016 11:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work the way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth -- there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate -- young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.
I don't think every murder is reported in New York by every news outlet, but the smaller cities can probably do it because they don't have as many.

But what is your point - better coverage of the gangster wanna-be shootings will reduce the incindents, because black people will be more aware of black people killing each other and they will do something about it? Or do you think white people should do something about it?

What do you want white people to do about black gangster wanna-bes shooting up the place? Consider You want us to write some laws, or do you just want us to listen to what they have to say - give them some respect???

(14-06-2016 11:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

TL;DR: The phrase "Black lives matter" carries an implicit "too" at the end; it's saying that black lives should also matter. Saying "all lives matter" is dismissing the very problems that the phrase is trying to draw attention to.
This is some pretty dopey shit.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
14-06-2016, 11:42 PM

One of these days I'm going to get me one of those thousand dollar an hour girls to do my thing.Tongue

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
14-06-2016, 11:45 PM
In case you were wondering why. Thanks TW!

Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-06-2016, 11:46 PM
(14-06-2016 11:30 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That was for TrainWreck.

I am sorry this was not obvious.

I knew it was for me.Big Grin

15-06-2016, 01:12 AM
(14-06-2016 11:42 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  One of these days I'm going to get me one of those thousand dollar an hour girls to do my thing.Tongue

[Image: tw1.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-06-2016, 11:00 AM
(12-06-2016 01:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Vosur... may I respectfully suggest that your view of the BLM movement has been influenced by media outlets who have a pro-business, pro-authority agenda to push? There have of course been some assholes who make the BLM movement look bad, but they are hardly "most" of the group, and from what I've seen, most of the BLM people have been intellectuals, clergy, and other people of social importance, if only within the black community. When I see people saying that the BLM movement is different from what people I've spoken to within the movement say, I have to wonder how most white people got such poor information. It could be prejudice, yes, but most of the time I think it's part of a deliberate campaign of sensationalism and exaggeration to discredit the movement.

I live only 2 hours from Ferguson, Missouri, and my doctor is there. I have several friends in the city.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/11-major-mis...-movement/

This is a video from one of my friends who lives in the suburb next to Ferguson. Compare it to how your mental images of the place depict it, based on what the media have shown:

Well, you're probably right. The bad apples do get a lot more attention in the media than those who do good works in silence. Still, I think the violent parts of the BLM movement need to be called out with the utmost severity.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
15-06-2016, 11:34 AM
(15-06-2016 11:00 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The bad apples do get a lot more attention in the media than those who do good works in silence. Still, I think the violent parts of the BLM movement need to be called out with the utmost severity.

I could not agree more.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post