Thoughts on Charlie Brown Christmas special?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Thoughts on Charlie Brown Christmas special?
Almost every year I see a news article about a school banning this special so I finally decided to watch. I didn't see anything wrong with it until the very end when they start to get a little preachy. Linus? I think recites a bible passage about the angels announcing Jesus birth to the shepherds. Might be a bit too religious to be shown in a school setting although I wasn't offended. So for those who have seen it what do you think? Should it be banned from schools?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Thoughts on Charlie Brown Christmas special?
I never saw it at school when I was a kid, always at home. Why does it need to be shown at school? It's on TV every year and there are multiple other ways to see it now too.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
18-12-2015, 04:45 PM
I recall it being on in my 8th grade social studies class kinda in the background, as we had a light project we were working on, that I believe wasn't christmas related, more like stock broaching related, but it was on while there was also non-christians in the class. Not that there was any complaints.

I don't ever recall seeing a complaint about it in the news; its nothing that I ever looked up though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-12-2015, 04:48 PM
When I was real young in the late 80's early 90's my schools used to celebrate every holiday. For Hanukkah we would play with the dreidels, and light menorah's, Christmas we would set up a small trees, and decorations. We would dress up for Halloween, passed cards for Valentines day, and brought in snacks and small gifts for peoples birthdays. Then around 1995 it all stopped. My brothers weren't allowed to do any of those things.

Charlie Brown will be played on TV everyday this month. It's on Netflix. It's online. They sell in on Blue Ray. If it wasn't played in a classroom oh well. I did enjoy those days where I got to experience different holidays from different cultures, but I can see how it blurs that line between Church and State.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-12-2015, 05:05 PM
It is easy to find at libraries and is shown every year multiple times on TV, so I don't see any reason why it should be shown in schools.

When I was a kid--when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, as we still had Christmas pageants and angels, etc., in the public schools then--we never spent classroom time watching TV. To be honest, I think today's kids would be bored. The chief appeal of Charlie Brown Christmas is to sentimental baby boomers.

For me personally, I don't watch the Christmas special because of the strain from rolling my eyes so much. I prefer The Great Pumpkin, with its depiction of how easy it is to invent a god and lure followers. Schultz's followers are smarter than the average Christian, though: when there is no Great Pumpkin, they abandon the prophet.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
18-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I watched it when I was a kid, & it wasn't the reason I believed in gawd! Undecided

I'd imagine parents taking their kids to church goes a lot further in the way of indoctrinating them to the faith that just happens to be the one depicted in that scene!

*shrugs*

18-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Boring, lame, and not funny. Just like the newspaper vesion.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-12-2015, 06:12 PM
I never cared for the Peanuts gang but the Charlie Brown Christmas was ok. I think the reason it's still around is mostly because of the jazzy music. If it had been more traditional music or some Disney cutsie poo music it would have faded into the past. That's what I think. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-12-2015, 07:35 PM
I love that show. I have it on DVD. It was part of my life as far back as I can remember. Yeah, it gets preachy toward the end but the story is good over all. I even have a Charlie Brown Christmas tree that my kids think is hilarious.

As for watching it in school...maybe not. It does end with a very Christian message and not all kids are Christian. The Grinch would be a better choice. Big Grin

I have three Christmas movies...Charlie Brown, Rudolph, and the Grinch (animated). I enjoy them all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-12-2015, 07:40 PM
(18-12-2015 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I love that show. I have it on DVD. It was part of my life as far back as I can remember. Yeah, it gets preachy toward the end but the story is good over all. I even have a Charlie Brown Christmas tree that my kids think is hilarious.

As for watching it in school...maybe not. It does end with a very Christian message and not all kids are Christian. The Grinch would be a better choice. Big Grin

I have three Christmas movies...Charlie Brown, Rudolph, and the Grinch (animated). I enjoy them all.

That's what my tree looks like. I don't want a big one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.