Thoughts on "Fake News"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Thoughts on "Fake News"
I feel that fake news have been pumped up to be a bigger issue than they are lately. I guess there is nothing better to be outraged about nowadays than some idiots writing fake stuff on the internet.
But ok.
So here is the thing. I think I was 9 years old when we had a few lessons at school that were about things in the news or in the news papers or magazines. We read little stories. It was at 9 years old, that we were actually taught about how to read news and to always be a bit critical about what we read. I would like to repeat that we were 3rd grades / 9 years old when this was part of our school curriculum. And from then on, we knew how to tell news from fiction.
So when those fake news sites started popping up a while ago I was simply amused at the hilarious stuff they write. I had a lot of very good laughs and a few face palms because some people took it for fact instead of checking. Also some things did sound like they could be real but for me it was clearly satire and social critic. I never thought about these things as problems but rather as a political and social statement. "Look how gullible people are" and "Look how ridiculous the world is, this could actually be real news".

So for the past few months, social media has been told to filter "fake news" or ban them. And I think that is a stupid request. It is not the fake news site or the social platform that is at fault that people don't question or fact check what they read. It is not the way to tackle this non-issue. It starts at home. Teaching your kids to question stuff and not believe everything on the fucking internet. But no, that would put responsibility on care givers and educators. Let's instead try to filter out fake news. Like what the actual fuck. How is a social network supposed to do that. Everything is a clickbait nowadays. Everything sounds extraordinary and special. Headlines are not headlines anymore, they are all click baits. You never know if you are reading a joke or something that happened in real life because the click bait will be just the same.
Step one > learn how to recognise a click bait maybe?
"Income tax for 2017 higher than in 2016" vs "THIS DOG FARTED, YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!"
Is it really that hard to see the difference?

Dunno...
What do you think about this whole Fake News "issue"? Am I missing something?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2017, 05:49 PM
RE: Thoughts on "Fake News"
Yesterday I saw a bunch of trumpeters standing on the corner street with signs that read "Believe Trump, not Fake News!"

The term doesn't seem to be used for the clear distion of the click bate "This New pill cures cancer! Find out how you can get it" verse channels like news stations like CNN, MSNBC, ABC etc etc (-Fox of course)

It seems to be more like new people agree with vs don't.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
28-03-2017, 06:04 PM
I think fake news is most certainly an issue. I just don't think the news that half these trump supporters and trump himself are calling fake is fake.
They call it fake news because it doesn't agree with their believes that trump is an omnipotent god. But I think there is genuinely a lot of actual fake news out there, especially on the facebooks and buzz feed and shit.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
28-03-2017, 06:23 PM
[Image: adeve.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-03-2017, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 06:37 PM by BackSlider.)
The issue that makes fake news concerning for me, is these so called trade professionals pick it up and run with it without givi'n a chit for truth. It's as if the unspoken mantra in the news room is screw credibility in journalism!? Headlines are solely for the promotion of shock and awe and real news derailment?!

When the national trade professionals use an unchecked story or doesn't shut one down when the fake is discovered, it only lends more credibility to that BS!
Is this because they are expected to be our front line "fact checkers", and not mere entertainers?

The days of journalism performing as the general public's "impartial fact-watch dog" IMO are long gone. I noticed that ship sailed back when Clinton and Perot were on the scene. Since then, they have only polished & perfected the un-factual headlines trade, not purged & purified it.

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 2 users Like BackSlider's post
28-03-2017, 07:05 PM
BackSlider: Good point. Then I don't see why exactly social media sites are supposed to take steps to filter it out or whatever rather than actually taking care of the websites that spread the "fake news" or pose as legit news sites when they really just are satire sites.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
28-03-2017, 07:18 PM
(28-03-2017 07:05 PM)Leerob Wrote:  BackSlider: Good point. Then I don't see why exactly social media sites are supposed to take steps to filter it out or whatever rather than actually taking care of the websites that spread the "fake news" or pose as legit news sites when they really just are satire sites.

I perceive social media sites as PURE entertainment, so I too don't see any "responsibility" at all for those sites to "police" their content, for any degree of validity.

You have to be odd to be #1.
28-03-2017, 08:04 PM
(28-03-2017 06:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think fake news is most certainly an issue. I just don't think the news that half these trump supporters and trump himself are calling fake is fake.
They call it fake news because it doesn't agree with their believes that trump is an omnipotent god. But I think there is genuinely a lot of actual fake news out there, especially on the facebooks and buzz feed and shit.

I think a lot of this stems from the the lines between truth and fact being blurred by so many of the 'reality shows' out there, and the fact that Trump has, for many years been involved in that world.

People are looking at the 'real reality' like it is a stupid TV show and backing their favorite player. I think this mentality also had a hand in Trump's election in the first place.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
28-03-2017, 08:50 PM
(28-03-2017 08:04 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 06:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think fake news is most certainly an issue. I just don't think the news that half these trump supporters and trump himself are calling fake is fake.

I think a lot of this stems from the the lines between truth and fact being blurred by so many of the 'reality shows' out there, and the fact that Trump has, for many years been involved in that world.

People are looking at the 'real reality' like it is a stupid TV show and backing their favorite player. I think this mentality also had a hand in Trump's election in the first place.

Yea for sure, but this reality TV mentality is driving "news" companies to come out with the latest and greatest news article. They try and scandalize every story as much as possible taking what could be only a minor point of a story and blowing it up. "News" companies also tend to be very selective now because of it, showing only parts of stories. A good example of that is the recent Pewdiepie shit. He's a big youtuber, I don't know if you followed that but basically the media made it out like he was a nazi when he blatantly isn't and what they reported on they just twisted it and took it completely out of context because it made for a better story.

It's all about money which means clicks or views which means appeasing this reality tv mentality you bring up.

It is indeed a Brave New World.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
28-03-2017, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 09:24 PM by pablo.)
(28-03-2017 08:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 08:04 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think a lot of this stems from the the lines between truth and fact being blurred by so many of the 'reality shows' out there, and the fact that Trump has, for many years been involved in that world.

Yea for sure, but this reality TV mentality is driving "news" companies to come out with the latest and greatest news article. They try and scandalize every story as much as possible taking what could be only a minor point of a story and blowing it up. "News" companies also tend to be very selective now because of it, showing only parts of stories. A good example of that is the recent Pewdiepie shit. He's a big youtuber, I don't know if you followed that but basically the media made it out like he was a nazi when he blatantly isn't and what they reported on they just twisted it and took it completely out of context because it made for a better story.

It's all about money which means clicks or views which means appeasing this reality tv mentality you bring up.

It is indeed a Brave New World.

Brave but not smart.
People were walking into voting booths wildly uninformed and voting against their own best interests like they're voting for the next act on 'The Voice' not realizing they could be seriously screwing things up for decades.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post