Thoughts on "Fake News"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 10:39 PM
RE: Thoughts on "Fake News"
(28-03-2017 09:03 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 08:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea for sure, but this reality TV mentality is driving "news" companies to come out with the latest and greatest news article. They try and scandalize every story as much as possible taking what could be only a minor point of a story and blowing it up. "News" companies also tend to be very selective now because of it, showing only parts of stories. A good example of that is the recent Pewdiepie shit. He's a big youtuber, I don't know if you followed that but basically the media made it out like he was a nazi when he blatantly isn't and what they reported on they just twisted it and took it completely out of context because it made for a better story.

It's all about money which means clicks or views which means appeasing this reality tv mentality you bring up.

It is indeed a Brave New World.

Brave but not smart.
People were walking into voting booths wildly uninformed and voting against their own best interests like they're voting for the next act on 'The Voice' not realizing they could be seriously screwing things up for decades.

My comment was in regard to Huxley's book Brave New World.

Akin to Orwells 1984, except where Orwell predicted we would become mindless zombies through government authoritarianism and propaganda, Huxley predicted we would become mindless zombies through too much information that we failed to see the truth and only saw what we wanted to see. ie: This reality tv mind you're talking about.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
28-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Thoughts on "Fake News"
Fake news has been around one helluva long time. One has only to think of the yellow journalism of the Hearst press or the jingoism of the right wing British press at the end of the 19th C and early 20th C. Then the propaganda of Josef Goebbels and Nazi Germany, or the other 20th C totalitarian regimes.

The problem in recent times has been that the cost of entry to mass communications has been lowered so dramatically by social media. It now costs nothing to spread falsehoods and for those falsehoods to gain traction in a public that seems to think uncritically.

This has been seized upon by unscrupulous individuals and aided by many in journalism and the wider media and politics in order to pursue their own agendas.

I was once naive enough to believe that I'm the age of the internet access to genuine information would liberate people from extreme or obnoxious views but one only has to look for information on evolution or climate change to see that there is a morass of disinformation that people have to wade through in order to get at the truth. TBH most people just want to be spoon fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
28-03-2017, 11:28 PM
(28-03-2017 06:23 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  [Image: adeve.jpg]

> Interestingly, that photo originally appeared decades ago in ARCHAEOLOGY. The Mideast couple and an infant were killed during an earthquake which collapsed their crude house. Their daughter or maidservant was killed in an adjoining room along with the household donkey. Archaeologists were initially able to date the site by a small cache of coins which was discovered during the excavation. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
29-03-2017, 01:22 AM
(28-03-2017 11:21 PM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Fake news has been around one helluva long time. One has only to think of the yellow journalism of the Hearst press or the jingoism of the right wing British press at the end of the 19th C and early 20th C. Then the propaganda of Josef Goebbels and Nazi Germany, or the other 20th C totalitarian regimes.

The problem in recent times has been that the cost of entry to mass communications has been lowered so dramatically by social media. It now costs nothing to spread falsehoods and for those falsehoods to gain traction in a public that seems to think uncritically.

This has been seized upon by unscrupulous individuals and aided by many in journalism and the wider media and politics in order to pursue their own agendas.

I was once naive enough to believe that I'm the age of the internet access to genuine information would liberate people from extreme or obnoxious views but one only has to look for information on evolution or climate change to see that there is a morass of disinformation that people have to wade through in order to get at the truth. TBH most people just want to be spoon fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good example of old time fake news is that Napoleon was short when in actual fact he was the average height of the time. The British government wanted to portray him as some sort of monster or evil little man so they spread this "fake news" about him. It was obviously so popular that the general opinion even today (in English speaking countries anyway) was that he was short.

[Image: oscar.png]
29-03-2017, 01:43 AM
Hi,

The brilliance of Trump's politics is that he has used fake news to put himself in the presidency. It is still hard to believe that this has happened.

Orwell.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
29-03-2017, 04:31 AM
(29-03-2017 01:43 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,
The brilliance of Trump's politics is that he has used fake news to put himself in the presidency. It is still hard to believe that this has happened.
Orwell.
D.

Well like it or not, one did have to choose between all of Hillary's and the DNC's fake news, or Trump's fake news. Gasp

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
29-03-2017, 04:55 AM
(29-03-2017 04:31 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  Well like it or not, one did have to choose between all of Hillary's and the DNC's fake news, or Trump's fake news. Gasp

A choice between someone who lies 15% of the time and someone who lies 65% of the time was an obvious choice for me.

Hobo
29-03-2017, 05:37 AM
So Bernie Sanders gets a zero in those stats? Oh the DNC is the missing 20%. Got it.

You have to be odd to be #1.
29-03-2017, 05:54 AM
there is no fake news really, matter of fact it's all fake Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2017, 07:37 AM
(28-03-2017 05:19 PM)Leerob Wrote:  ...
Step one > learn how to recognise a click bait maybe?
"Income tax for 2017 higher than in 2016" vs "THIS DOG FARTED, YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!"
Is it really that hard to see the difference?

Dunno...
What do you think about this whole Fake News "issue"? Am I missing something?

That's quite easy to spot and people learn fast.

It's the more ambiguous stuff that is trickier especially when it plays on confirmation bias, e.g...

I'm still seeing bugger all evidence that connects Russia with the DNC hack.
The anti-Semitic uprising ... errrm, no ... one sad Israeli teenager and a fired journo who wanted to get even with his girlfriend. There have been actual but hardly epidemic desecration of cemeteries but the reality gets lost in the hysteria.

(28-03-2017 06:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
But I think there is genuinely a lot of actual fake news out there,

Actual fake news? Consider So really fake as opposed to fake fake?

Is there a difference between real fake news and fake real news?

I need to know!

Huh

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post