Thoughts on "Fake News"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 08:19 AM
RE: Thoughts on "Fake News"
Trump tells outright lies and the media has mastered the art of presenting facts in a manner that causes them to be misinterpreted. Neither are trustworthy. As an added bonus, people are gullible enough to believe news that crearly identifies itself as satire.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2017, 08:26 AM
I'm not even in disagreement with the trend of attacking "fake news", though it's quite ironic coming from Team Trump.

'Murican Canadian
29-03-2017, 08:29 AM
I think parody and satire have an important role to play in any healthy democracy - but only when buttressed by a consistently trustworthy "real news" media. Far be it from me to side with Trump in his attacks against legitimate news media - tyrannical strongman thugs ALWAYS attack the media and purport themselves to be the only source for the "truth" so I defend and advocate for the press.

However it's certainly not wrong to insinuate that the profit-driven business model for news has done a disservice to the public and in large part failed in its primary duty - to create an informed electorate. There ARE unscrupulous scumbags out there who bend and twist events to suit their agenda, who lie and distort and slant the facts which breeds contempt and distrust of the REAL news media.

What I find interesting is that entertainers and comedians like Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and John Oliver are consistently polled as being more trustworthy than the vast majority of legitimate news anchors. What does that tell you?
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
29-03-2017, 08:35 AM
In the run up to the election, it was people who specifically aimed to mislead people that fed into the outcome we have now (though not solely responsible for it). People at large have hated Clinton for so long, since she was the First Lady being smeared and attacked by the Right, that they were willing to believe anything about her that was negative. So it becomes impossible to tell what's real and what's not without doing some actual digging into the source, and sometimes even the source's source of the "information". But on FaceBook nobody was going to bother with any of that. It's easier to just hate Clinton regardless of if the reason for hating her was true.

I'm not saying that there are not reasons to dislike or distrust her- just that so many people were wildly off-base.

Post-election when all of that shit came to light as being a very real factor, frequently even propagated by Russian actors, Trump feels like he can regain the story by just calling everything he dislikes "fake news". I don't know whether he thought it through, or he just knee-jerk uses the buzz-word as a reactionary- but it doesn't really matter. People who like him fall for it. People who dislike him (the majority of people) know he's full of shit. But the damage is already done.

Hopefully people will eventually learn to better understand the sources for their news. But that's not likely to happen in the long run. People will forget and become complacent again.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
29-03-2017, 08:36 AM
The fake news to worry about are things like a post I saw on FB the other day. It said that Obama profited financially every time someone used Obama care. Lots of people believed it.

That is the sort of thing the Russians did to influence the election. You can hire scores of people for peanuts to go around and disseminate fake news. People believe the shit.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-03-2017, 08:43 AM
(29-03-2017 08:35 AM)Emma Wrote:  But on FaceBook nobody was going to bother with any of that. It's easier to just hate Clinton regardless of if the reason for hating her was true.

This brings up an excellent point - parody and satire are valuable only so far as:
  • The "legit" media can be counted on to provide trustworthy coverage, and;
  • The information consumer CARES enough about having an opinion based on facts that he or she is diligent enough to take responsibility for confirming any information used to make an important decision, like how to vote
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
29-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Quote:Actual fake news? Consider So really fake as opposed to fake fake?

Is there a difference between real fake news and fake real news?

I need to know!

Huh

There's actual fake news in that it is actually wrong or misleading.
Than there is fake fake news in that it is accurate but people call it fake. A good example of that is Trump calling CNN fake news. He calls them fake news because they report on things he doesn't agree with or anti-Trump things or stuff Trump doesn't want reporters reporting on. But just because Trump doesn't like it doesn't make it true.

A perfect example of fake fake news was the whole people turning out to see Trump being sworn in and his numbers being higher than Obama's.
Obama's numbers were higher. That's just how it is. And so the media said this and Trump and his supporters cried 'fake news', but it's not 'fake news', it's real news.

I'll go into more later, I got work now.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
30-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Personally it all comes down to how they get fake news out there. They first go after high profile people and put them in a controversial topic. As one said the Pewdiepie thing, a big name youtuber and puts him in a place where they can make him seem like the bad guy.

People love to read that shit, whether it's out of personal grudges, self satisfaction to hate on something or one, or just for the shock factor. People will always read fake news. It's unsure if people know it's fake or not.

It's kind of the thing you see one youtube, the youtuber is an atheist, yet you'll find int eh comments heavily religions people on there. Why? People they just want to stir up trouble.
Fake news is the same way, you may not have anything to do with it, or you might hate the thing they are 'exposing' thus you will watch it. Stir the shirt up, all humans do this. I've done it once or twice in my life and I'll freely admit to that.

We would hope as we get older we'd think more over... then you look at people who watch Fox News and face palm.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post