Thoughts on Hitler?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 02:05 PM
RE: Thoughts on Hitler?
(13-03-2014 02:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 01:54 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  He was a decent artist and he gave us Volkswagen. Other than that, I can't think of any redeeming qualities.

Well he did commision Der Strasse von Adolph Hitler better known today as The Autobahn.

When I visit Germany, I'll thank him. For now, I can only enjoy the fantastic German engineering that is my car.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Hitler's problem was that he was extremely self loathing. Most psychopaths are. Thus, he probably still felt small despite his "empire."

Nothing redeeming about him in my eyes. :/

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
13-03-2014, 10:29 PM

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Well, he did pull Germany out of the dire depression it was in and make it into a world superpower.

He was a natural born leader, good public speaker, driven, determined.

He hired Hugo Boss to make their uniforms.

He showed up the arrogant French.

He publicly funded science and rocketry and encouraged Germany's citizens to participate in these endeavors.

He perservered through many personal trials and tribulations in his early life.

He was a military veteran who was wounded for his country.

It's an interesting question: Given what a horrible, murderous tyrant he was, was there anything redeemable about Hitler's life?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
14-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I wonder if he genuinely believed all the rubbish he spewed about everything being the Jews' fault etc? Something I've also wondered about Bob Mugabe...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-03-2014, 08:23 AM
(14-03-2014 08:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  I wonder if he genuinely believed all the rubbish he spewed about everything being the Jews' fault etc? Something I've also wondered about Bob Mugabe...

I think it's a pretty safe conclusion that the top Nazis really were True Believers.

So many of their actions were unproductively and pointlessly ideological - wasting resources in a total war isn't someone one does merely to keep up appearances.

... this is my signature!
14-03-2014, 08:33 AM
(14-03-2014 08:23 AM)cjlr Wrote:  someone one does merely to keep up appearances.

er... How total war can save your marriage?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Hitler was a minimally decent artist, and at 18 he failed to get into the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts--his only dream at the time. He never really forgave them. His art did not reach beyond the classical, and at that period in time the modern artists were the cream of the academy.

When Hitler became a power in Germany, he pointedly attacked modernist art and artists, destroying many modern artworks and holding them up for public ridicule.

His failure in the world of art contributed, no one knows how much, to his twisted nature.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 5 users Like Dee's post
14-03-2014, 09:36 AM
(13-03-2014 01:54 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  He was a decent artist and he gave us Volkswagen. Other than that, I can't think of any redeeming qualities.

It's a shame the Academy of Fines Arts in Vienna didn't rate his art. He failed the entrance exam on two occasions. Things might have been different if he passed.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
14-03-2014, 09:38 AM
(14-03-2014 09:30 AM)Dee Wrote:  Hitler was a minimally decent artist, and at 18 he failed to get into the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts--his only dream at the time. He never really forgave them. His art did not reach beyond the classical, and at that period in time the modern artists were the cream of the academy.

When Hitler became a power in Germany, he pointedly attacked modernist art and artists, destroying many modern artworks and holding them up for public ridicule.

His failure in the world of art contributed, no one knows how much, to his twisted nature.
Whoops! just saw your post now...

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post