Thoughts on Pantheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Thoughts on Pantheism?
Personally I find it to be pointless. After all, if everything is God, then who really cares about the concept of God? I know Dawkins calls it sexed up atheism, but I was simply curious to hear other people's thoughs on it.

So yeah, lets hear it
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
RE: Thoughts on Pantheism?
Mental masturbation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Calling the Cosmos "God" is pretty useless if you are still a naturalist. Cause whats a god without supernatural powers? PShhh
05-02-2013, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 08:35 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Can someone clarify the term for me?

Is it that believers think that the tangible world is made of "magic" and is essentially part of the body/mind of some sort of omega being?
-or-
God is used as an interchangeable term for reality, universe, etc and has no magical properties whatsoever?

I'm more annoyed by these people if it's the later. They don't understand how language works, or how much of a dick they're being.
05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm just grabbing at sand, but when I hear Pantheism, I think "Hmmm... creative force within all?". Yeah, it totally misses the point for most of it, but that is always my initial thought.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
05-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Pantheism is the idea that the universe is real and it exists and consciousness is part of it or arises from it, and so the whole thing is God.

Monism is slightly different, but the slight difference makes all the difference in the world. Monism claims that all there is, is God. God is the only real thing, and God creates things from his substance.

So, pantheism says everything is God. Monism says everything is made from God.

Veridicanism realizes this necessary monistic nature of God, and sees in the Gospel exactly how one should live if God is in fact the monistic fundamental entity.

Once one realizes what God is, the very next thought is, "What am I?" And ultimately that is a more important question for individuals.
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
(05-02-2013 10:50 AM)Egor Wrote:  Pantheism is the idea that the universe is real and it exists and consciousness is part of it or arises from it, and so the whole thing is God.

Monism is slightly different, but the slight difference makes all the difference in the world whole universe. Monism claims that all there is, is God. God is the only real thing, and God creates things from his substance.
Fixt. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
(05-02-2013 10:50 AM)Egor Wrote:  Pantheism is the idea that the universe is real and it exists and consciousness is part of it or arises from it, and so the whole thing is God.

Monism is slightly different, but the slight difference makes all the difference in the world. Monism claims that all there is, is God. God is the only real thing, and God creates things from his substance.

So, pantheism says everything is God. Monism says everything is made from God.

Veridicanism realizes this necessary monistic nature of God, and sees in the Gospel exactly how one should live if God is in fact the monistic fundamental entity.

Once one realizes what God is, the very next thought is, "What am I?" And ultimately that is a more important question for individuals.

Like all the other thousands of religions, you make unsubstantiated claims. Have at it, but you (and the rest) are simply unconvincing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Yup. The Gospel of Mary Magdalene, and Judas, and Simon and all the other non-canonical gospels. I'm sure he meant those.
There is not a shred of evidence that consciousness exists apart from complex molecular structures at this point, Whether "machine" based structures produce it, is yet to be seen. There is no evidence the "universe" is conscious of anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Everything is a god? That's my understanding of pantheism. Well, I see it like this.

If everything is god, does that mean every particle of everything's existence IS god, or contains a PRESCENCE of god? I've heard Christians say "God is everywhere", so I guess Dawkins is right.

Then again, when isn't Dawkins right? Laugh out load

Better to be hungry and free than fed and in chains.