Thoughts on The Science Delusion by Curtis White

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2013, 07:50 PM
RE: Thoughts on The Science Delusion by Curtis White
(12-06-2013 07:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  I am defining "better" the same way you have been this whole conversation.

Right. We're getting somewhere!

(12-06-2013 07:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  The difference is I recognize my judgement of "better" to be just that, a personal judgement simply based on all the available tools in 2013 and not some grand woo woo step getting closer to the grand woo of woo known as ultimate truth in science.

Yes. Judgement. Which is subjective. Because - I agree, and so does, er, everyone else here - of course it is. Do you really think - EVERY time someone says ANYthing is better than ANY other thing - that they need to preface it with "of course, this IS only my inherently subjective opinion, but..." ?

Science is a process by which we (the collective we) try to improve our understanding of things. OF COURSE trying to come to a 'better' understanding must be understood to be, implicitly, a collectively held, continuously changing perception of 'better'. I repeat myself: so what?

However - efficacy of malarial cures is data. Whether or not that is a good thing is where judgement comes in. Agree or disagree? If you disagree, I suppose it's because gathering and processing data is also a subjective process. Sure. That's technically true insofar as it's not absolutely objective.

If your entire point is merely
I and I Wrote:trolollol knowlej iz uncertin u guiys
Then congratulations. You pass Epistemology 101. Do you have any follow-up?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2013, 10:18 PM
(12-06-2013 07:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 07:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  I am defining "better" the same way you have been this whole conversation.

Right. We're getting somewhere!

(12-06-2013 07:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  The difference is I recognize my judgement of "better" to be just that, a personal judgement simply based on all the available tools in 2013 and not some grand woo woo step getting closer to the grand woo of woo known as ultimate truth in science.

Yes. Judgement. Which is subjective. Because - I agree, and so does, er, everyone else here - of course it is. Do you really think - EVERY time someone says ANYthing is better than ANY other thing - that they need to preface it with "of course, this IS only my inherently subjective opinion, but..." ?

Science is a process by which we (the collective we) try to improve our understanding of things. OF COURSE trying to come to a 'better' understanding must be understood to be, implicitly, a collectively held, continuously changing perception of 'better'. I repeat myself: so what?

However - efficacy of malarial cures is data. Whether or not that is a good thing is where judgement comes in. Agree or disagree? If you disagree, I suppose it's because gathering and processing data is also a subjective process. Sure. That's technically true insofar as it's not absolutely objective.

If your entire point is merely
I and I Wrote:trolollol knowlej iz uncertin u guiys
Then congratulations. You pass Epistemology 101. Do you have any follow-up?

actually it's not subjective on an individual scale, an individual in different social structures will use different tools in different ways to arrive at different results in order to make judgements on observations and experiences that are different according to social structure. Mine and your conclusion on malaria is a result of our society and the tools our society has provided us in coming to that conclusion. You didn't pick a good example btw since malaria has no cure and still kills a shit load of people.
13-06-2013, 01:45 AM
(11-06-2013 09:10 AM)yumeji Wrote:  My thoughts?
[Image: tumblr_lovztzBbbb1qai9up.gif]

I'm questioning the contents of that cup...

Sorry, off topic..

No comment.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

19-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Jesus H Christ on a crutch I had to register just to send the following message to I and I:
Get your head out of the clouds, get your ass into a library, and your nose into a book.

Preferably one from the science section.

Understand something inside and out before you attempt to criticize it or you will reveal your ignorance and look like a fool.

The trick to making a valid argument is to first have a valid argument.

To everybody else:
Don't feed the trolls. If this kid doesn't understand basic science it isn't your job to explain it. That's what books are for.