Thoughts on alternative medicine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Thoughts on alternative medicine
Hi everybody!
So being a recent graduate I'm doing what I can to pay rent. One of my several jobs is at a trendy juice/smoothie bar that's attached to a vitamin/supplement/healthy lifestyle store with a naturopathic clinic in the back. As the only skeptic on staff, sometimes I struggle with knowing which claims are true and which are total bs. Any thoughts on how I should navigate my time there? I want to be a good employee (and I make awesome smoothies) but I don't want to be dishonest to people, and some of them have health questions that I've been instructed to answer in a way that I'm unsure is true (example: butter and coconut oil in coffee promote brain function).
Also, I know the placebo effect is powerful but I question the ethics of relying on it for symptom relief. What are your opinions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
12-03-2016, 01:21 AM
RE: Thoughts on alternative medicine
I think there is no such thing as "alternative medicine" as there is only one medicine - constantly tested and working. "Alternative" one seems to be bunch of more or less shady practices that may or may not help and in worst case hurt by preventing one from visiting doctor.

As for ethical aspect I could not lie to people for a living as I have dim view of dishonesty in professional setting. Being good employee means nothing to me if in order to be it I must deceive others - it was one of my reasons for quitting the work in retail and never seeking another in such field.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
12-03-2016, 01:28 AM
(11-03-2016 09:56 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Hi everybody!
So being a recent graduate I'm doing what I can to pay rent. One of my several jobs is at a trendy juice/smoothie bar that's attached to a vitamin/supplement/healthy lifestyle store with a naturopathic clinic in the back. As the only skeptic on staff, sometimes I struggle with knowing which claims are true and which are total bs. Any thoughts on how I should navigate my time there? I want to be a good employee (and I make awesome smoothies) but I don't want to be dishonest to people, and some of them have health questions that I've been instructed to answer in a way that I'm unsure is true (example: butter and coconut oil in coffee promote brain function).
Also, I know the placebo effect is powerful but I question the ethics of relying on it for symptom relief. What are your opinions?

I'm not sure I could work under those conditions, but that's probably just because I'm super lazy.

If you need to make ends meet, I would say you should just take the hits when you need to and pay them back later with some activism once you are stable and don't need their money any more. Think of it as playing the long game. You can take their money, if possible try to recommend the least harmful of the bullshit where you can, and use their cash to destabilise them later.

(12-03-2016 01:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think there is no such thing as "alternative medicine" as there is only one medicine - constantly tested and working. "Alternative" one seems to be bunch of more or less shady practices that may or may not help and in worst case hurt by preventing one from visiting doctor.

Ahh, Dara Ó Briain...

"Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!" Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out.”

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
12-03-2016, 01:28 AM
I can't say it better, so I won't. All credit to Tim Michin.

[Image: Tim-minchin-alternative-medicine.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 17 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-03-2016, 03:11 AM
(11-03-2016 09:56 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Hi everybody!

Everything costs in this life - even morals. Ask yourself this: Can you afford your morals?

If you can - then leave.

If you can't, then SFU and stay until such time as you can afford them.

Also, you say that you have been instructed to answer in a way that you are unsure is true. (example: butter and coconut oil in coffee promote brain function). Rather that remain unsure, go do some research and find out for sure. That way, you will have some facts rather than being unsure.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
12-03-2016, 03:32 AM
"Well, we've been told/the manager told us that it promotes brain function. I'm not so sure myself, but it tastes nice."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-03-2016, 04:08 AM
(12-03-2016 01:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I can't say it better, so I won't. All credit to Tim Michin.

[Image: Tim-minchin-alternative-medicine.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
12-03-2016, 06:28 AM
I think I would end up getting fired, if I was told what to say. I would only emphasize that this concoction could help you with a diet and a good meal replacement as part of a diet, without making any claims beyond that.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-03-2016, 08:29 AM
You could also say "Look, I'm not qualified to comment - you've asked me a medical question and I'm just a smoothie maker. I make damn good smoothies and they taste yummy, but there's a whole roomfull of bullshit artists naturopaths in the back who can tell you anything you like about that drink."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
12-03-2016, 08:53 AM
(12-03-2016 03:11 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Everything costs in this life - even morals. Ask yourself this: Can you afford your morals?

If you can - then leave.

If you can't, then SFU and stay until such time as you can afford them.

This is both pithy and absolutely useful to me. I'm planning on quitting as soon as it's feasible (once my other job takes me back up to full time) but for now I'll just have to use relatively evasive language in an attempt to satisfy everyone, sort of like others have suggested here, or refer them to others who will tell them what they want to hear.
My new idea for a response is to use a lot of "may" and "might". We'll see if that changes anything.
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post