Thoughts on alternative medicine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2016, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2016 09:58 AM by debna27.)
RE: Thoughts on alternative medicine
I also LOVE Tim Minchin and like to use Storm as a good summation of my ideology, although I try to be a bit more empathetic in my real life. The people I talk to are often just looking for help in what they think is the best way they can. It's neither fair nor productive to belittle them for initial ignorance.
Practitioners, on the other hand....sometimes I want to whip out the chorus of the Pope Song on them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2016, 09:57 AM
(12-03-2016 01:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I can't say it better, so I won't. All credit to Tim Michin.

[Image: Tim-minchin-alternative-medicine.png]

I love him, but I want to brush his hair, damnit! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
If it worked it would be called medicine.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
13-03-2016, 03:53 PM
(12-03-2016 10:02 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If it worked it would be called medicine.

"Nuh-uhhhh!!! Medicine is a scam! It's snake oil for $$$!! An NWO Big Sorcery Agenda! All I need are UberVitamin Essential Oil Smoothies. I sell them out of my garage for $80 a can. Wanna sign up?"

Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
13-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Alternative medicine can mean many things. I have retired to the Dominican Republic and had had diarrhea for several months, I had consulted several doctors and had had nothing more than a temporary relief of 2 or 3 days at a time. I found a Haitian lady who had worked for me previously and talked to her. She went out to the trees and bushes and made several different teas for me from local leaves. Then she cooked a "special" meal for me. She knows that I do not eat pork because I was raised kosher and even after getting over that never wanted that much grease in my body. But I asked her if those were pork chops and she said I needed the grease to activate the teas. So I ate them and drank her teas for the 8 days she recommended that I do and the diarrhea went away and 8 months later it has not returned. If that ain't alternative medicine then there ain't no such thing, and it did work. JUst because one has a PhD beside their name doesn't mean they know everything.
13-03-2016, 11:23 PM
(13-03-2016 05:48 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Alternative medicine can mean many things. I have retired to the Dominican Republic and had had diarrhea for several months, I had consulted several doctors and had had nothing more than a temporary relief of 2 or 3 days at a time. I found a Haitian lady who had worked for me previously and talked to her. She went out to the trees and bushes and made several different teas for me from local leaves. Then she cooked a "special" meal for me. She knows that I do not eat pork because I was raised kosher and even after getting over that never wanted that much grease in my body. But I asked her if those were pork chops and she said I needed the grease to activate the teas. So I ate them and drank her teas for the 8 days she recommended that I do and the diarrhea went away and 8 months later it has not returned. If that ain't alternative medicine then there ain't no such thing, and it did work. JUst because one has a PhD beside their name doesn't mean they know everything.

... Well, yeah, no one denies that traditional healers may have some good shit that works. The issue is that it's not proven, mixed in with loads of woo (usually) and difficult to control. Why does scientifically proven medicine usually come as pills? 'Cos we can extract and purify the active ingredients from whatever source, and then make a pill that's guaranteed to work the same way every time. Sure, doctors and scientists don't know everything. But they do know a hell of a lot. In a few years, if those teas are actually effective, someone will come along and figure out what they do and how they do it. A lot of modern medicines were originally obtained by asking traditional healers how they made theirs.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
16-03-2016, 02:43 PM
The alternative to medicine is not medicine.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.