Thoughts on the term "non-believer"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 04:53 AM
RE: Thoughts on the term "non-believer"?
I tend to think the term non-believer to be the harsher of the two choices, but I can see that I am in the minority for this one.
For me non-believer instantly says "Sorry I don't believe in that bullshit"

Whereas Atheist says "I'm with a community of people who use their fucking brains, you moron"
Ok that came off as a bit judgmental. Perhaps "I'm a member of a community who doesn't attend church"

Personally I've been invited to go to some church gatherings many many years ago and had a nice time.
I got to sit next to a pretty girl and then have her listen to me whisper criticisms about everything that was done or said during the sermon and or little skit that was put on for the audience.
Whispers "You do realize that what he just said is morally wrong and chalked full of lies right ?"

I wasn't invited ever again.

Church is one of the few places you can literally troll someone and they can't say much of anything or else they will be seen as making a commotion in church with everyone LOOKING at them. Oh the embarrassment.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
28-06-2013, 05:28 AM
[drive-by-post]I don't give a flying fuck what sounds better to them.
If they get offended by the word "atheist" then that is their own damn problem, not mine.[/drive-by-post]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
28-06-2013, 08:09 AM
You can always have fun with it.

A
--"How about coming to church with us tomorrow morning?"

What religion are you?
I'm X.
Ohhhhh. (pained look on your face) Oh I'm sorry. No thank you. (no explanation)

A

I can't, I've been asked not to set foot on the property again, sorry. (no explanation)
But why?
Again, I'm sorry but I'm under a gag order.

A

Thank you for inviting me.
So you'll come?
No.
I don't understand.
Me neither.

The question I get more often is "Do you go to church?"

My usual response is
"It is my personal code never to discuss anything to do with religion or politics with anyone other than my wife".
That normally shuts the conversation down.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
28-06-2013, 12:01 PM
(27-06-2013 03:15 PM)Buddy Wrote:  --"How about coming to church with us tomorrow morning?"

Church, are you serious?...well I do need a nap....ok ,ok . just kidding. No thanks , I haven't been in a church in 45 yrs., and ain't gonna start now,....but I appreciate the invite. You can join me down at the Tennis Club, if you want, that's is my church.

Reminds me of my dad except golf was on his Sunday morning schedule...and his 'religion'. Thumbsup

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I live in a place where I am the ONLY atheist for a hundred miles (somewhat isolated military base). My neighbors/friends will always at some point ask us to go to church (which is complicated by my H being a somewhat Christian). I can't even count the number of times I've had to go through this. I always say " Oh, no thanks!" But it NEVER EVER EVER ends at that. They always press, ask questions, or ask me again another time so that eventually I have to explain. I try to just leave it at "No, I'm really not into that" or "No, I'm not religious". Doesn't matter. Until I actually say the words " HELLO. I AM AN ATHEIST", they will not stop asking. So then inevitably I end up with either horrified looks and being shunned or awkward behavior around the subject. It thoroughly sucks, that is my life.
28-06-2013, 12:45 PM
(28-06-2013 12:19 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  I live in a place where I am the ONLY atheist for a hundred miles (somewhat isolated military base). My neighbors/friends will always at some point ask us to go to church (which is complicated by my H being a somewhat Christian). I can't even count the number of times I've had to go through this. I always say " Oh, no thanks!" But it NEVER EVER EVER ends at that. They always press, ask questions, or ask me again another time so that eventually I have to explain. I try to just leave it at "No, I'm really not into that" or "No, I'm not religious". Doesn't matter. Until I actually say the words " HELLO. I AM AN ATHEIST", they will not stop asking. So then inevitably I end up with either horrified looks and being shunned or awkward behavior around the subject. It thoroughly sucks, that is my life.

Fish, have you ever taken that opportunity to start a philosophical conversation?

Why do you feel the need to ask me to go with you?

Do you think God requires an intermidiary?

If you believe your god is omnipresent why not stay at home and pray while you mow the lawn?

There are a myriad of ways to skin this cat but it all depends on whether you want to be left alone or engage in light entertainment.

This from a pseudo diary I keep regarding religion:

"We are social animals and like it when everyone fits in and are made very uneasy when others don’t share our views. When this invariably happens we might tolerate at best but more often than not we shun and not uncommonly go to war with one another because of our difference of ideas.

Religions to me are the ultimate private clubs, exclusionary and intolerant. No other group takes it to their extreme. First they try to cajole you into joining. If unsuccessful they ostracize you and ridicule you. But if you actively oppose them they try to kill you and all this in the name of a benevolent and merciful God who tells them to do just this."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-06-2013, 12:48 PM
(27-06-2013 02:57 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I feel weird saying I am an atheist, because to me it's like declaring myself a non-footballer because I don't play football.

Meh, I say I'm a non-theist all the time. It's comfortable and kind of says it all. I've never been negatively questioned about it. In fact, clergy will frequently respond favorably, "Ah, you're a free thinker." I shit you not; the first time I'd ever heard the term "free thinker" was from a priest.

Every once in a while my Mom will jokingly... yet, also with a bit of curiosity, ask if I want to go to church with her and my brother. I always with a chuckle say, "Uh, no." and that's ok for her.

This is funny; I spoke to her on the Friday before this past Easter. She said she was going to be staying at our farm for about a week, starting the next day. I said, "Oh, what about Easter Sunday, you sure you want to miss that?" She said, "Well, it can't be helped, those people take all that too seriously, anyway." Then she quickly added, "Why, do you want to go?" Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
28-06-2013, 01:14 PM
(28-06-2013 12:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 12:19 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  I live in a place where I am the ONLY atheist for a hundred miles (somewhat isolated military base). My neighbors/friends will always at some point ask us to go to church (which is complicated by my H being a somewhat Christian). I can't even count the number of times I've had to go through this. I always say " Oh, no thanks!" But it NEVER EVER EVER ends at that. They always press, ask questions, or ask me again another time so that eventually I have to explain. I try to just leave it at "No, I'm really not into that" or "No, I'm not religious". Doesn't matter. Until I actually say the words " HELLO. I AM AN ATHEIST", they will not stop asking. So then inevitably I end up with either horrified looks and being shunned or awkward behavior around the subject. It thoroughly sucks, that is my life.

Fish, have you ever taken that opportunity to start a philosophical conversation?

Why do you feel the need to ask me to go with you?

Do you think God requires an intermidiary?

If you believe your god is omnipresent why not stay at home and pray while you mow the lawn?

There are a myriad of ways to skin this cat but it all depends on whether you want to be left alone or engage in light entertainment.

This from a pseudo diary I keep regarding religion:

"We are social animals and like it when everyone fits in and are made very uneasy when others don’t share our views. When this invariably happens we might tolerate at best but more often than not we shun and not uncommonly go to war with one another because of our difference of ideas.

Religions to me are the ultimate private clubs, exclusionary and intolerant. No other group takes it to their extreme. First they try to cajole you into joining. If unsuccessful they ostracize you and ridicule you. But if you actively oppose them they try to kill you and all this in the name of a benevolent and merciful God who tells them to do just this."

The only theist that I have good, reasonable conversations with on this topic is my husband. Others are either clearly, vehemently closed to 'philosophical' conversations on the topic or just haven't given it much thought and don't care to. Its touchy coming from the atheist side of the fence, whereas Christians (as the vast majority here) can feel perfectly safe pushing their agenda. I AM a social person, I dont want to be ostracized, I need connections to the people around me. So I have less of a voice.
[+] 1 user Likes FICKLEish's post
28-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I'd rather be ostracized by people who have to push their beliefs upon someone else than ostracize my own reasoning... not saying to pursue conflict or instigate a debate with people who won't use logic, but, eventually we have to stop allowing immoral doctrines to control us.
I'm in the military as well, I know atheists are out numbered, it's amazing how quickly you can end atheism's taboo appearance through thoughtful discourse.

Resurrect Hitchens
[+] 2 users Like SalientMonkey's post
28-06-2013, 04:47 PM
(28-06-2013 04:20 PM)SalientMonkey Wrote:  I'd rather be ostracized by people who have to push their beliefs upon someone else than ostracize my own reasoning... not saying to pursue conflict or instigate a debate with people who won't use logic, but, eventually we have to stop allowing immoral doctrines to control us.
I'm in the military as well, I know atheists are out numbered, it's amazing how quickly you can end atheism's taboo appearance through thoughtful discourse.

I totally agree with you and I've definitely gone through my lonely times because of it. I don't give in to the pressure or hide myself, but I have yet to find friends who want to have thoughtful discourse (what is this you speak of?). So when I find people who get past the atheist label and still want to hang out, it kind of feels like a success. Despite the fact that they don't want to hear my deep thoughts on the subject. What can I say, I'm stuck here.