Thoughts on these points?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 05:04 AM
RE: Thoughts on these points?
StevenAllen: It might be best to start with what your idea of atheism is before you try and debunk it. Most people around here would say its "not being convinced in the existence of a god or gods". You seem to have a different idea of what it means. Can you tell me what you think an atheist is, and why you think that?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
19-06-2012, 12:45 PM
(18-06-2012 10:02 PM)StevenAllan Wrote:  Atheism is formally irrational on these counts:
1. An acceptance of empiricism even though it was rejected by epistemologists as a logical contradiction decades ago. To accept a logical contradiction as true is the formal definition of irrationality.
2. Atheists rely on the Fallacy of Incredulity. An argument relying on a logical fallacy is automatically false. Thus the atheist is informally irrational.
3. Atheists have logically inconsistent beliefs by showing they accept similarly or less evidenced propositions than those they disbelieve. Thus the atheist is irrational in the sense of being intellectually dishonest.
4. The Atheist has no rational basis for their objections to theistic belief.
Do any/all of these make sense?
Thank you.

1. Empiricism, the practice of advancing knowledge through observation and experiment, is not the same thing as philosophical empiricism. Methodological empiricism is highly useful, even if it is not epistemologically fundamental.

2. Mere assertion, I need no more evidence to dismiss your claim that we rely on arguments from incredulity than you needed to assert it. And arguments relying on fallacies are not automatically false, a fallacious argument can have true conclusions, they just don't follow.

3. I challenge you to give a less evidenced proposition than 'God exists' that we believe.

4. Another unsupported assertion, dismissed as such.

None of these make sense. You're welcome.
[+] 3 users Like Dean J. Smith's post
19-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Someone shows up, makes a single post, then they leave. What is really the point of even responding?

If someone proves to me that god exists, I'll believe it. Until that time comes, I remain of the opinion that the likelihood of a god existing is low enough so as to be effectively 0 and does not warrant my time. This is the same argument I use for Big Foot, The Loch Ness Monster, Advanced Alien Species visiting Earth, Ghosts, Demons, etc.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-06-2012, 12:54 PM
(19-06-2012 12:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Someone shows up, makes a single post, then they leave. What is really the point of even responding?

To make a new kitty demotivational, of course. Silly. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-06-2012, 02:37 PM
(19-06-2012 12:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Someone shows up, makes a single post, then they leave. What is really the point of even responding?

Nothing new here. But to be fair, it's the same day. There's still a possibility that the person will return in the next few days. And I can almost type that with a straight face too!
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
19-06-2012, 02:44 PM
(19-06-2012 02:37 PM)kineo Wrote:  

Nothing new here. But to be fair, it's the same day. There's still a possibility that the person will return in the next few days. And I can almost type that with a straight face too!

If he shows up, I'll respond.

Until then.

[Image: party-hard-dog-pug-when-owner-leaves-fun...ed-gif.gif]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
19-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Let's keep in mind too, Steve may just be looking for info on questions that were posed to him. Best not to assume until we hear from him.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
19-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I'll give him time. Shy

But it does sort of beg the question; At what point do you not feed the troll?
Some of us are just trying to relate to our fellow human beings in a more proactive way...
... and they just want to hit and run .... wwaaaah Sadcryface2 Laughat

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-06-2012, 03:31 PM
When you actually make a point, then I'll respond to it.
Otherwise, it's just a load of crap.

Look up the definition of irrational and see how that fits in with your beliefs.
I think you'll find it's as snug as a bug in a rug.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
19-06-2012, 03:33 PM
(19-06-2012 03:31 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you actually make a point, then I'll respond to it.
Otherwise, it's just a load of crap.

Look up the definition of irrational and see how that fits in with your beliefs.
I think you'll find it's as snug as a bug in a rug.
Not snugger than a bugger playing rugger ? Big Grin couldn't resist...