Thousands file resignation letters from the LDS Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 09:31 PM
RE: Thousands file resignation letters from the LDS Church
(18-11-2015 08:09 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 05:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I don't think anyone belonging to the cult whose founders had dozens of wives should be telling anyone what is or is not appropriate for marriage.
Why not?

Facepalm

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2015, 09:59 PM
(18-11-2015 08:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Stevil Wrote:There are no objective rights and wrongs.
I agree.
Stevil Wrote:There is no source of truth regarding what is right or wrong
According to you there is no such source. But I don't agree with you.
IF rights and wrongs are not objective AND IF there is a source for rights and wrongs then this means that this source provides "subjective" rights and wrongs. Is this correct?
What is the source and how can we use this source to get the answers as to whether something is right, wrong or neutral?

(18-11-2015 08:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  Every loving and wise parent wants to give his/her children enough knowledge so children can avoid unnecessary danger. And it is exactly opposite: when there is no knowledge of right and wrong there is no accountability.
This is not correct. I have no knowledge of moral rights and wrongs and yet I am 100% accountable for my own choices and actions.
If I choose not to eat then I die, that is the consequence of my action, I am held accountable because I experience the consequence of my own actions.
If I choose to steal from someone then I might have them beat me up, or I might get a criminal record. That is my consequence, it is real and tangible. It does not require me to know or believe that stealing is "wrong". It only requires me to take action and for my action to have consequences.
I agree that as a parent I might want to teach my kids to avoid danger e.g. explain to them what might happen if they stick their fingers in electrical sockets i.e. "You might get fried with electricity and die", this is very different from telling them not to do something because it is wrong i.e. "don't masturbate because it is wrong".
My way teaches them to think and allows them to make their own choices. Your way conditions them to follow and obey (a.k.a. the opposite of thinking)

Stevil Wrote:The law governing society defines what marriage is.
Sure.
Do you still insist that marriage is between man and woman or are you going to refer to the governing law on this matter?

Stevil Wrote:Outside of your club, your stamp of approval and your rituals are irrelevant, your beliefs are irrelevant.
I know. I don't even argue with this.
I hope you keep it this way. I hope you respect other people's autonomy and avoid the urge to put your own clubs rules into the laws and hence obtrusively interfere with people that don't belong to your club
Stevil Wrote:If you want people to consider the existence of a god, you need to provide a sufficient claim.
No, I don't want people to consider existence of God. To consider existence of God is absolutely useless.
Precisely. I'm glad we are in agreement.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
18-11-2015, 10:00 PM
(18-11-2015 05:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 03:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  The joke is that the proverbial capital of of the anti-gay Mormons (you know, the guys who demand the children of gays eject their parents to receive the various Mormon rites, those guys) have elected one of those icky gays, and it must not feel good for them.
No, it doesn't hurt. Gays can be great public servants.

Leona Hemsley much?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
18-11-2015, 10:07 PM
(18-11-2015 05:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 03:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Alla I'm afraid either you are avoiding the truth or you have a reading comprehension problem because all of your apologetics are in stark contrast to LDS doctrine.
I am afraid you don't understand LDS Doctirne.

I'm afraid you don't understand LDS doctrine.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-11-2015, 10:43 PM
(18-11-2015 05:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 03:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  The joke is that the proverbial capital of of the anti-gay Mormons (you know, the guys who demand the children of gays eject their parents to receive the various Mormon rites, those guys) have elected one of those icky gays, and it must not feel good for them.

No, it doesn't hurt. Gays can be great public servants.

It's not a literal pain...
Any yes, I have to agree that gays can be great civil servants. I mean, they'll have their districts cleaned up and absolutely fabulous before the month is out!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-11-2015, 11:13 PM
(18-11-2015 11:52 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 10:51 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Isn't Moroni Latin for "more than one Moron?"

very short copy and paste:
Some scholars have theorized that Smith became familiar with the name "Moroni" through his study of the treasure-hunting stories of Captain William Kidd.[22] Because Kidd was said to have buried treasure in the Comoros islands, and Moroni is the name of the capital city and largest settlement in the Union of the Comoros, it has been suggested[who?] that Smith borrowed the name of the settlement and applied it to the angel who led him to buried treasure—the golden plates. Complementing this proposal is the theory that Smith borrowed the names of the Comoros islands and applied them to the hill where he found the golden plates, which he named Cumorah.[citation needed][23]

Latter Day Saint apologists have reasoned that this line of argument commits the logical error of appeal to probability; they believe that it is unlikely that Smith had access to material which would have referred to the then-small settlement of Moroni.[24] Mormon scholar Hugh Nibley noted the prevalence of names in the Book of Mormon with the root "mor" and suggested that the root may be of Egyptian origin with the meaning of "beloved".[25]

I agree with you. I think Smith was just a con man looking for morons.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-11-2015, 01:16 AM
I casually noticed that at this posting 10 pages have been spent discussing the stupidest fucking church to ever come down the pike.

Just an observation. Popcorn

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-11-2015, 01:20 AM
(19-11-2015 01:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I casually noticed that at this posting 10 pages have been spent discussing the stupidest fucking church to ever come down the pike.

More stupidester than Scientology?

Ohmy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-11-2015, 01:22 AM
(19-11-2015 01:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I casually noticed that at this posting 10 pages have been spent discussing the stupidest fucking church to ever come down the pike.

For me, we're just a couple of posts from three pages.

(19-11-2015 01:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Ohmy

Umpossible!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-11-2015, 06:22 AM
(19-11-2015 01:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Ohmy

You set the bar high, or low:

[Image: oprahtom.gif]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition