Thousands file resignation letters from the LDS Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 10:13 PM
RE: Thousands file resignation letters from the LDS Church
(15-11-2015 09:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 09:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't really know why they reject people, but it's well known that they do.

Is there a downside to being rejected by the LDS church? Consider

Only if someone really, really wants to join, and then must suffer feelings of rejection and not being good enough to be a part of the cool-kids club.

-Though, this does bring up a new question for Alla. What does the Church teach will happen to people who are not baptized in the Mormon church?

In addition to feeling rejected, do these people also have to suffer with anxiety and dread over the perceived fate of their eternal soul, especially given that they lack the power to correct the situation themselves?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2015, 10:19 PM
(15-11-2015 10:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  -Though, this does bring up a new question for Alla. What does the Church teach will happen to people who are not baptized in the Mormon church?

I don’t think this is a problem for the LDS Dodgy

Mormons warned against baptizing Holocaust victims
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/reli...53372816/1

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-11-2015, 11:21 PM
(15-11-2015 10:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 09:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is there a downside to being rejected by the LDS church? Consider

Only if someone really, really wants to join, and then must suffer feelings of rejection and not being good enough to be a part of the cool-kids club.

-Though, this does bring up a new question for Alla. What does the Church teach will happen to people who are not baptized in the Mormon church?

In addition to feeling rejected, do these people also have to suffer with anxiety and dread over the perceived fate of their eternal soul, especially given that they lack the power to correct the situation themselves?
Though this question wasn't addressed to me, I'll go ahead and answer it honestly.

In the LDS church, when you're taught about heaven it's explained as 3 distinct kingdoms of glory (terrestrial, telestial, celestial). Based on your assessed righteousness, which is determined based on the book of your life held until your day of judgement (in heaven), you'll be assigned to the appropriate kingdom.

Those in the highest kingdom (celestial) can visit those in lower kingdoms (terrestrial, telestial), but not the other way around. The telestial or "middle" kingdom can go down to visit the terrestrial kingdom, but cannot go up to visit the celestial kingdom. There's also a bit on what's called "outer darkness", but that's a can of worms for another day.

To answer your question of guilt amongst the membership, I had many sit down reviews/interviews with members expressing their concerns of not feeling worthy or righteous enough, in the present. At that time and in that leadership capacity, I would counsel them to 'do their best and let heavenly Father handle the rest'.

Hopefully that provides a little insight from an honest perspective.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
15-11-2015, 11:29 PM
(15-11-2015 09:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't really know why they reject people, but it's well known that they do.

Well, you do get forced to go to a slightly shittier heaven when you die, and they'll baptise you after death anyway cause they do that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-11-2015, 12:57 AM

Not a one.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
16-11-2015, 01:00 AM
A good start. Some religions are tolerable. Some actually do good in the world. But some are so twisted and cause so much harm that they just need to die.

(15-11-2015 06:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Attorneys? Consider

What the fuck did they need attorneys for?

Because under the veneer of being a community and a spiritual undertaking, the Mormon church (like most large and many small churches) is actually a business and wannabe government.

Ergo, lawyers.

Devils in the details and all that.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
16-11-2015, 06:09 AM
(15-11-2015 09:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 09:14 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Bullshit.

Church is doing this because they're bigots.
You say this because you don't understand why or how this policy protects children.

Please enlighten us, how does this protect children? Is discrimination towards them for what their parents are, somehow good for them?

I'm glad they're doing this though, it's this crap that drives people away from the Church of The Clown Car.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
16-11-2015, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2015 09:46 AM by Ace.)
(15-11-2015 06:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The church will get them back in... once they've died and they can post-death baptize the folks.

ah the old "they came back to the church before their death" story shenanigans again BAH!!!!!! Facepalm
16-11-2015, 08:39 AM
(15-11-2015 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.good4utah.com/news/local-news...lds-church

Nice. This is a culture war the religious right has been losing. I'm honestly surprised how fast the country turned on this issue (I think many people are, on both sides). Because of this, we have a lot of people who are used to having always gotten their way, suddenly finding themselves on the losing side.

Now, they're flailing around, grasping at any straw they can. When they aren't busy opining how America is in it's darkest hours (Oh no! More people can get married!), they're busy trying to figure out creative ways to screw over gay people (religious freedoms!).

To quote someone from another forum: "Any time I hear the phrase 'state's rights', I hear 'I want to be as terrible to people I don't like as possible.'".

(15-11-2015 09:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  You say this because you don't understand why or how this policy protects children.

You say this because you think the policy protects children.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-11-2015, 08:50 AM
(15-11-2015 09:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 09:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  You say this because you don't understand why or how this policy protects children.

Please explain what the church is protecting the children from.
I assume this is the result of the policy that children from same-sex couples may not attend the lds church till a certain age? Then I think I know what they are protecting the children from. Indoctrination of the lds church

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post