Thread Vandalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 08:24 AM
RE: Thread Vandalism
I am definitely with Chas. Going back and deleting one's posts leave the forum a shambles and threads nonsensical. It's just common sense to limit the time for editing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I do it within 10 minutes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
16-08-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm not gonna edit something I posted yesterday
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2013, 08:39 AM
In all seriousness, I would agree with a 1-3 day limit on posts. I go back to correct grammar and spelling a lot also, but usually within a day.

But going back way after the fact and altering or deleting posts is just disingenuous and cowardly.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
16-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Exactly. Editing something that was written way back is not something the average poster does anyway. So it won't really affect us if there is a limit on editing time. But some people get peed and go back and just take out all posts, and then it is a big issue because it makes the threads a jumble of nonsense.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-08-2013, 08:47 AM
I really shouldn't say anything about this, but I guess I just don't "get" it. This is something that came up on another forum I participate in, and I don't understand the anger that so many seem to have over someone going back and deleting or editing their own words.

But maybe that's what it is - maybe most people believe that a person's words are no longer theirs to do with as they please once they're "published" to a thread? They see those words as public, as the forum's property?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just honestly seeking an explanation as to what it is that angers people over this issue.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
16-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm seeing new posts now, after I typed up mine. I understand that it can make things confusing or mess with the continuity of a thread, but I would consider it just that - an inconvenience. Not an act deserving of vitriol. I figure that this mostly happens when someone has put their foot in their mouth and then is so embarrassed about it later that they want to take the words back, which isn't possible when speaking aloud, but is (at least partly) possible online.

I say "partly" because someone else could have quoted you later on in the thread and it's still out there even if you deleted your original post.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
16-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I smell what you're steppin in. I think it's more just a matter of integrity that we would like to see respected. If you didn't want it to be read, you shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Going back on your word is shameful.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
16-08-2013, 09:18 AM
(16-08-2013 09:06 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I smell what you're steppin in. I think it's more just a matter of integrity that we would like to see respected. If you didn't want it to be read, you shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Going back on your word is shameful.

Okay, I see what you're saying. And if I look at it as a sort of "author with a published book" type thing, it makes even more sense. Any author who's published a work is bound to still have the original document on their computer which I suppose they could technically edit or change around to their heart's content, but what they cannot do is make those changes and then try and put the work out as if the revised edition should be considered canon now. They had their shot to write the best story they could and that's it.

I guess a forum just feels more fluid to me, less set in stone than a published work. But thinking of it this way helps me understand.

16-08-2013, 09:22 AM
(16-08-2013 08:50 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Not an act deserving of vitriol.

It attracts vitriol depending on who does it. A lot of trolls tend to do it, and we've had other users do it in a fit of pique after someone handed their ass to them in an argument.

Basically, it's just irritating... and yeah, IMO you do lose control over your words once you say them.