Thread Vandalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 05:54 PM
RE: Thread Vandalism
Lol. Sorry. I'm just curious.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Free speech doesn't mean you get to un-say shit. (it's a word now, ok Dodgy ) in fact, I'd argue that an important part of free speech is being responsible for what you say. In the real world, when we say shit that's wrong, we are held accountable. So when I say Hobbits are stupid, I can't just un-say it. I gotta apologize for my ignorance and acknowledge I was wrong. See where I'm comin from?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-08-2013, 07:43 PM
It sucks that some people can't control their need to "win" to rewrite their posts. It sucks because it hurts everyone.

Some forums, I'm told,it's a bannible offense -- that's just how serious it is.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

16-08-2013, 07:49 PM
(16-08-2013 05:50 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you asking if it could be removed? Yes. it's an option.

Why is it there then?

What do you mean? People make typos or have additional thoughts after they post.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2013, 07:52 PM
(16-08-2013 07:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It sucks that some people can't control their need to "win" to rewrite their posts. It sucks because it hurts everyone.

Some forums, I'm told,it's a bannible offense -- that's just how serious it is.

Red Celt got banned for deleting his posts in a snit.

16-08-2013, 08:54 PM
(16-08-2013 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Free speech doesn't mean you get to un-say shit. (it's a word now, ok Dodgy ) in fact, I'd argue that an important part of free speech is being responsible for what you say. In the real world, when we say shit that's wrong, we are held accountable. So when I say Hobbits are stupid, I can't just un-say it. I gotta apologize for my ignorance and acknowledge I was wrong. See where I'm comin from?

*Blushes* well how can I argue with that logic. Heart lol

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
16-08-2013, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 09:50 PM by TheGulegon.)
(16-08-2013 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Free speech doesn't mean you get to un-say shit. (it's a word now, ok Dodgy ) in fact, I'd argue that an important part of free speech is being responsible for what you say. In the real world, when we say shit that's wrong, we are held accountable. So when I say Hobbits are stupid, I can't just un-say it. I gotta apologize for my ignorance and acknowledge I was wrong. See where I'm comin from?

yabut...IRL it's considered rude, sometimes, to listen in on other people's conversations, so what about indefinite editing ability for everyone on "The Whispering Thread"?

I mean if the listener/reader has to lean toward the conversation to hear/read what's being said/typed maybe his/her nosy ass should mind their own business! Tongue

Oh, and...
Those bud leaves under your name are AWESOME! Bowing

16-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I will restate again, I have been an adult, I have shown that I am not one to break rules, why shouldn't I be trusted to fix my spelling and grammatical errors. I really hate feeling that I am being treated as a child that needs baby-sitting. I am responsible enough to take charge of my own posts without committing atrocities. If I violate that trust, then you can ban me, or whatever punishment the powers that be feels is appropriate.

It ain't something that I will get pissy about, or leave the forum for, just representing a different perspective that some people may have thought from.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-08-2013, 03:28 AM
You aren't being treated like a kid. You are being invited to comment on a proposed change which would affect all forum users... since we are adults we get to choose the rules we follow...

Of course most people will never go back and edit their posts, but for those that do, the damage is done by the time anyone figures it out. It's not like it's a helluva interesting problem anyway, and leaving the status quo as it is is just as easy. But changing it is also easy and zat is vot I am proposingk.
17-08-2013, 04:21 AM
(16-08-2013 10:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I will restate again, I have been an adult, I have shown that I am not one to break rules, why shouldn't I be trusted to fix my spelling and grammatical errors. I really hate feeling that I am being treated as a child that needs baby-sitting. I am responsible enough to take charge of my own posts without committing atrocities. If I violate that trust, then you can ban me, or whatever punishment the powers that be feels is appropriate.

It ain't something that I will get pissy about, or leave the forum for, just representing a different perspective that some people may have thought from.

No one is proposing we remove the edit feature, just time-limit it to prevent vandalism by malcontents.

You will still have the right to delete and pare harms.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post