Thread does not exist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2017, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2017 07:14 PM by Dom.)
RE: Thread does not exist...
My guess: Spammer was banned with "ban spammer" tool. That tool also deletes the spam and probably included the thread.

P.s. I see now where it was a sock. Still, probably banned with the "ban spammer" tool.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2017, 07:10 PM
(25-03-2017 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 06:55 PM)julep Wrote:  It was a drive-by sock puppet whose first and only post got through without the mods being notified...usually you wouldn't even notice the ban because it would have happened before the first post was authorized and wouldn't have been announced.

How much is the variance in your like numbers? When did you notice that happening?

It's been happening randomly for the last two months, roughly. I posed the question if the team can remove/change counts like that and was told no. So I don't know what's going on.

I have another question...aren't mods supposed to show up in the 'who's online' list? This is also not happening. Mods don't show as being online but are posting. Is this a new stealth thing?

Don't know about other mods, but I opted at the very beginning for the option on the account page where you hide your name on the thread.
25-03-2017, 07:11 PM
(25-03-2017 07:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  My guess: Spammer was banned with "ban spammer" tool. That tool also deletes the spam and probably included the thread.

Spammers are banned all the time and not announced, unless y'all want to hear about currency exchanges in china, princes in Nigeria and all sorts of things like that.

We are frequently reminded that threads aren't deleted. That's probably why there was some confusion.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-03-2017, 07:13 PM
(25-03-2017 07:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  My guess: Spammer was banned with "ban spammer" tool. That tool also deletes the spam and probably included the thread.

Spammers are banned all the time and not announced, unless y'all want to hear about currency exchanges in china, princes in Nigeria and all sorts of things like that.

Don't you go talking with the Nigerian prince; I've already sent in the fees and am just waiting for delivery of the millions. That money is mine!
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
25-03-2017, 07:13 PM
(25-03-2017 07:10 PM)julep Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's been happening randomly for the last two months, roughly. I posed the question if the team can remove/change counts like that and was told no. So I don't know what's going on.

I have another question...aren't mods supposed to show up in the 'who's online' list? This is also not happening. Mods don't show as being online but are posting. Is this a new stealth thing?

Don't know about other mods, but I opted at the very beginning for the option on the account page where you hide your name on the thread.

We can ignore anyone we want till they become staff.

Things change when people become staff. And there has been concern voiced lately that there isn't enough mod coverage. It's hard to tell if you can't see the mods that are online.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-03-2017, 07:16 PM
(25-03-2017 07:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

We are frequently reminded that threads aren't deleted. That's probably why there was some confusion.

Yeah, an anomaly. Mods use the "ban spammer" tool to ban. It also deletes the spam. So that thread probably disappeared for that reason.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-03-2017, 07:18 PM
(25-03-2017 07:13 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Don't you go talking with the Nigerian prince; I've already sent in the fees and am just waiting for delivery of the millions. That money is mine!
Drinking Beverage

Whaaaa? I was gonna marry him. I already sent him money so he could buy a ticket...Shocking

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-03-2017, 07:20 PM
(25-03-2017 07:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 07:13 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Don't you go talking with the Nigerian prince; I've already sent in the fees and am just waiting for delivery of the millions. That money is mine!
Drinking Beverage

Whaaaa? I was gonna marry him. I already sent him money so he could buy a ticket...Shocking

You can have him. I just want the money.
Drooling

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Fuckin ninjas. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
25-03-2017, 07:35 PM
It might take a while but the ghost in the machine will be working to getting it back.

[Image: dmeu_r701b_1_std.lang.all.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce