Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-01-2018, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2018 01:31 PM by Kaneda.)
Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World
There was one week last September (I think it was the week of the 3rd) that I kept replaying in my head, because it was just so damned fascinating to me. If you turned on the TV or opened a newspaper, you would hear that we had ongoing Wildfires in Oregon and Los Angeles, a record-breaking Hurricane in the Gulf with another one on the way, an 8.2 earthquake devastating the Southern Coast of Mexico, and an escalating crisis in the Pacific, with North Korea ramping up its production of nukes.

I think that week may have been a pretty good microcosm for the year 2017 as a whole.

There comes a point where the scale of crises happening in our backyard gets so absurd that you just have to laugh. There was no shortage of current events and issues to get anxious about in past year, so a little giddy hysteria might be good for you when anxiety stops being helpful. Sooner or later though, things calm down, the hysteria softens up, and we’re left alone with our troublesome thoughts about a world in slightly worse shape. It’s scary, chaotic place out there, with some very horrible people in it, and any concerned citizen can worry themselves sick mulling over it if there’s no one to talk to.

That’s the reason for this thread. There are a lot of thoughtful people here with some deep concerns about the state of the world, (just take a glance through the Politics, Science or World News sections if you don’t believe me), so I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea to start a place where we can listen to and commiserate with one another on the issues that really hit home with us.

With that said, what stories or topics are currently weighing on your mind? Do you spend a lot of time worrying about Climate Change, Runaway Capitalism, Relentless Technological Complexity, Ethnic Nationalism, Civil Unrest, Global Thermonuclear War, or All of the Above? This is a place vent to about the realities of the world that can sometimes be tough to discuss in your day-to-day life. So throw it out there, and let’s talk about it. More often than not, what matters to you, matters to everybody.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope you are all doing well!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Kaneda's post
14-01-2018, 12:31 PM
RE: Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World
(14-01-2018 12:24 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Do you spend a lot of time worrying about Climate Change, Runaway Capitalism, Relentless Technological Complexity, Ethnic Nationalism, Civil Unrest, Global Thermonuclear War, or All of the Above?

Yes. It all worries me. I keep telling myself to stop watching the news, but then I can't stand not knowing what's going on. I guess I'd rather watch things going to shit than looking up one day and be surprised by it.

Plus, there is always the chance that cooler heads prevail, and that I really do want to witness. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
14-01-2018, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2018 12:45 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(14-01-2018 12:24 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  So with that said, what stories or topics are weighing on your mind? Do you spend a lot of time worrying about Climate Change, Runaway Capitalism, Relentless Technological Complexity, Ethnic Nationalism, Civil Unrest, Global Thermonuclear War, or All of the Above? This is a place vent to about the realities of the world that can sometimes be tough to discuss in your day-to-day life. So throw it out there, and let’s talk about it. More often than not, what matters to you, matters to everybody.

I think over-population is one of the big causes of many of our present problems. It certainly underlies increased climate change, immigration issues and the rise of the new nationalism, global competition for jobs and resources, populations spreading into marginal and environmentally sensitive areas, world hunger and poverty, conflicts between nations and cultures and so on. And yet for some reason we seem to have tuned it out as an important issue.

But I guess you were asking about how such stresses affected us personally. I try not to get emotional about big problems, but I certainly spend a lot of time reading and thinking about them. They are the stories of our time and much more important than the fictions in which we are so often emotionally invested.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Calling birds
French hens
Turtle doves
Partridges

... all on the "going extinct" list.

Fuck. I always kind of liked that song.
Kinda shitty that no one ever made a song about Polar bears.

Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
14-01-2018, 02:09 PM
(14-01-2018 12:24 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  With that said, what stories or topics are currently weighing on your mind?

Job. Most likely I will go in two or three months time, but most likely isn't guaranteed. On the other hand nothing is really guaranteed so there's that. I could try looking for one in Poland but it's even bigger bag of problems - let's just say that renting a room will cost me 1/3 of what I would realistically earn.

Quote:Do you spend a lot of time worrying about Climate Change, Runaway Capitalism, Relentless Technological Complexity, Ethnic Nationalism, Civil Unrest, Global Thermonuclear War, or All of the Above?

No. PiS idiocy is something I worry about but mainly in the mornings when I check news. Overall none of the above worries me during standard day as I have more pressing concerns.

Quote:This is a place vent to about the realities of the world that can sometimes be tough to discuss in your day-to-day life. So throw it out there, and let’s talk about it. More often than not, what matters to you, matters to everybody.

What matters to me is I'm afraid irrelevant to most people with which I have even passing contact.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-01-2018, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2018 10:21 PM by Kaneda.)
(14-01-2018 12:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yes. It all worries me. I keep telling myself to stop watching the news, but then I can't stand not knowing what's going on. I guess I'd rather watch things going to shit than looking up one day and be surprised by it.

That's kind of where I'm at right now. I was incredibly focused on my own problems when I was in college and was wasn't actively following the news for those few years. You can imagine the culture shock I got after finishing, when I started getting avidly following world events and got to realize how broken everything really was.

I'm glad you're choosing to look the ugly issues in the eye. It kind of helps us see the world as it is, and makes us more mentally resilient to those shocks that modern crises and disasters keep punting our way.
14-01-2018, 09:45 PM
What I'd like to know is how many of you have children and actually fear for their lives... and by that I mean the quality of their future lives. My daughter is 25 and kicking ass in terms of doing her own thing, her own passion, and getting paid for it -- she may even make a living at it. But what will the world be like when she's my age?? I'm actually glad she has no plans to have children. How crazy is that? This all comes after seeing, finally, An Inconvenient Sequel, which is an incredibly captivating movie. I voted for Gore and was SO disappointed when he finally lost the bid. He would have done us well. But the movie made me think of my personal "holy trinity" of the world's problems today -- Overpopulation, Climate Change, and Religion. If we can't get a hold of all of those, we're in trouble.

For every legend told and retold, a bit of messy but significant reality is ignored.
David Quammen, The Song of the Dodo
[+] 4 users Like Hobosapiens's post
14-01-2018, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2018 11:43 PM by Kaneda.)
(14-01-2018 12:35 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I think over-population is one of the big causes of many of our present problems. It certainly underlies increased climate change, immigration issues and the rise of the new nationalism, global competition for jobs and resources, populations spreading into marginal and environmentally sensitive areas, world hunger and poverty, conflicts between nations and cultures and so on. And yet for some reason we seem to have tuned it out as an important issue.

But I guess you were asking about how such stresses affected us personally. I try not to get emotional about big problems, but I certainly spend a lot of time reading and thinking about them. They are the stories of our time and much more important than the fictions in which we are so often emotionally invested.

Well frankly, I'm convinced populations will keep expanding until they can't. If you want my take my word for it, I think we're in for a sustained population decline over the next few decades, primarily due to environmental and resource limitations that you just mentioned. Though that may not be much consolation, I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about how we're going to feed 9.7 billion people by 2050, as the UN keeps belaboring.

As for getting the public to really get serious about the stories of our time, well, I think we're kind of beginning to turn a corner there. I have a good number of family members and co-workers who repeatedly talk about how the weather hasn't been normal, how our institutions are grossly corrupted, how our living arrangement is insane, and how the culture has become way too materialistic. I've also re-acquainted with friends this Holiday Season who were way more sentimental and clingy than I ever remembered. In general folks just seem different, as if they're sensing that something is seriously amiss and they've put aside time to rethink their priorities.

Now, these friends and family of mine aren't exactly all picking up Walden and radically simplifying their lives yet, but it's a start.
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
15-01-2018, 05:39 AM
(14-01-2018 10:17 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Now, these friends and family of mine aren't exactly all picking up Walden and radically simplifying their lives yet, but it's a start.

Thoreau would likely be an easier sell to people these days if he had not so radically over-stated his case in the usual rhetorical style. In his Walden Pond venture, he takes no account whatsoever of people marrying, having children, or supporting parents, so one must assume his experiment would never have been sustainable on anything like a wider scale. At best, he encourages others to try to attain an impossible ideal of a sort.

Nevertheless, he was at least on the right track for dealing with the problems we now face.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Here sad Sally, this will make you feel better. Big Grin

Why 2017 Was the Best Year in Human History

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem. - Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post