Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2018, 10:14 AM
RE: Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World
Quote:There comes a point where the scale of crises happening in our backyard gets so absurd that you just have to laugh.

There is nothing to suggest that the world is any different now than it was a couple of centuries ago. The difference is that we now know about everything in real time because of modern communication.

Think about the Indian Ocean tsunami. Had it happened in 1804 instead of 2004 (geologically, a blink of an eye) you wouldn't even know about it. The fastest form of communication was a sailing ship. Months for a ship to get from Djakarta to Europe and would the ship's crew even be aware of the scope of the disaster? Would they have made multiple ports of call on the way checking the damage? Unlikely. We've brought this on ourselves and it has resulted in a worldwide case of Disaster Fatigue.

The world has always sucked. The only thing worse now is Trump and his nazis.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
15-01-2018, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2018 12:38 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(15-01-2018 09:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Here sad Sally, this will make you feel better. Big Grin

Why 2017 Was the Best Year in Human History

Good point, but I prefer 2015 when Obama was still president.

Oh, and another thing: over-population and climate change are problems exactly because of human successes. That's what makes them so difficult to fix.

And a final note: not many human problems, besides a possible nuclear world war, have the potential for the kinds of worldwide destruction as climate change. We are, after all, talking about the dread of possible futures, not so much a dislike of the present.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-01-2018, 12:40 PM
When you have a lot, you also have a lot to lose.
15-01-2018, 01:19 PM
(15-01-2018 09:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Here sad Sally, this will make you feel better. Big Grin

Why 2017 Was the Best Year in Human History

That was awesome ... I saw him on TV with that.
We all have "outrage fatigue".
Trump Fatigue Syndrome.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wom...ge-fatigue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-01-2018, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2018 02:18 PM by Kaneda.)
(14-01-2018 09:45 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  What I'd like to know is how many of you have children and actually fear for their lives... and by that I mean the quality of their future lives. My daughter is 25 and kicking ass in terms of doing her own thing, her own passion, and getting paid for it -- she may even make a living at it. But what will the world be like when she's my age?? I'm actually glad she has no plans to have children. How crazy is that? This all comes after seeing, finally, An Inconvenient Sequel, which is an incredibly captivating movie. I voted for Gore and was SO disappointed when he finally lost the bid. He would have done us well. But the movie made me think of my personal "holy trinity" of the world's problems today -- Overpopulation, Climate Change, and Religion. If we can't get a hold of all of those, we're in trouble.

You know, I ponder about that sometimes myself. When you consider the systemic problems that are being caused by overpopulation, and the vulgar incompetence with which much of the world is being run, it becomes kind of clear that it's a scary time to have kids.

While I don't have any children of my own, there are a lot of children and young families near to me that I care about. To some extent, I feel like I'm on the hook when the people in my life decide to bear offspring. It seems pretty self-evident that most of them are going to have a lower quality of life than their parents.

To be fair, I've already accepted that I'm probably going to have a lower quality of life than my parents. That's just what you can expect with the world becoming less accommodating for most people in it as time soldiers on. The best thing I can tell you is to focus your energies on looking out for your immediate family, your family's children, and your friend's children, in that order. Try to give them the best life you can in the context of this screwed-up environment.

Sometimes I struggle not to worry too much about those issues outside of my control. It sort of helps to just stay focused on managing those problems closest to home, before working my way outward.

“Look at what they abandoned in their panic... they were afraid; ashamed. They chose to conceal it, to bury the roots of a Great Civilization. They turned their backs on what science had to offer them, and tried to shut the lid of the Pandora's Box they themselves had opened.”

Katsuhiro Ôtomo, (Akira, 1988)
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
15-01-2018, 01:48 PM
I live in constant fear of nuclear war and the severest effects of climate change (major shifts in ocean currents, permafrost melt etc.) but that`s about it.
I figure the planet can recover from pretty much anything else, even if civilization can`t.

Both my children are in their mid-20s and well on their way to becoming successful professionals but I`m perfectly ok with them deciding not to have children.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
15-01-2018, 02:23 PM
(15-01-2018 01:48 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I live in constant fear of nuclear war

My subconscious fascinates me. Growing up I had nuclear bomb nightmares... vivid ones. And just recently they've been reappearing for the obvious reason. What amazes me is not so much the visual vividness but the feel, and the mood -- it's intensely foreboding, and I wake up feeling just plain weird. It stems from disbelief that humans can actually consider nuclear detonation again for the sake of power and dominance.

Dog is my Pontius Pilate
[+] 2 users Like Hobosapiens's post
15-01-2018, 02:39 PM
(14-01-2018 12:24 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  There was one week last September (I think it was the week of the 3rd) that I kept replaying in my head, because it was just so damned fascinating to me. If you turned on the TV or opened a newspaper, you would hear that we had ongoing Wildfires in Oregon and Los Angeles, a record-breaking Hurricane in the Gulf with another one on the way, an 8.2 earthquake devastating the Southern Coast of Mexico, and an escalating crisis in the Pacific, with North Korea ramping up its production of nukes.

I think that week may have been a pretty good microcosm for the year 2017 as a whole.

There comes a point where the scale of crises happening in our backyard gets so absurd that you just have to laugh. There was no shortage of current events and issues to get anxious about in past year, so a little giddy hysteria might be good for you when anxiety stops being helpful. Sooner or later though, things calm down, the hysteria softens up, and we’re left alone with our troublesome thoughts about a world in slightly worse shape. It’s scary, chaotic place out there, with some very horrible people in it, and any concerned citizen can worry themselves sick mulling over it if there’s no one to talk to.

That’s the reason for this thread. There are a lot of thoughtful people here with some deep concerns about the state of the world, (just take a glance through the Politics, Science or World News sections if you don’t believe me), so I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea to start a place where we can listen to and commiserate with one another on the issues that really hit home with us.

With that said, what stories or topics are currently weighing on your mind? Do you spend a lot of time worrying about Climate Change, Runaway Capitalism, Relentless Technological Complexity, Ethnic Nationalism, Civil Unrest, Global Thermonuclear War, or All of the Above? This is a place vent to about the realities of the world that can sometimes be tough to discuss in your day-to-day life. So throw it out there, and let’s talk about it. More often than not, what matters to you, matters to everybody.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope you are all doing well!

I like the idea of this thread...It's a place where people can just express a thought without creating a new thread and clogging up the forum, especially if they know there's nothing to do about it -- except to feel comforted that they're not alone.

Thread Stuck

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-01-2018, 02:58 PM
(15-01-2018 05:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(14-01-2018 10:17 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Now, these friends and family of mine aren't exactly all picking up Walden and radically simplifying their lives yet, but it's a start.

Thoreau would likely be an easier sell to people these days if he had not so radically over-stated his case in the usual rhetorical style. In his Walden Pond venture, he takes no account whatsoever of people marrying, having children, or supporting parents, so one must assume his experiment would never have been sustainable on anything like a wider scale. At best, he encourages others to try to attain an impossible ideal of a sort.

Nevertheless, he was at least on the right track for dealing with the problems we now face.
In Walden, he actually did talk to a neighboring family about how much they could simplify their lives and live more easily.

I think that people have forgotten how to enjoy simple things. They are so over stimulated that they feel that they can only be entertained by extravagant things.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 3 users Like Yonadav Kenyon's post
15-01-2018, 03:05 PM
I have been getting alarmed by our seemingly more casual attitude toward nuclear weapons. I think that we are moving in a direction in which many are seeing the use of small tactical nuclear weapons as a viable option to prevent the further proliferation of nuclear weapons by hostile nations.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 3 users Like Yonadav Kenyon's post