16-01-2018, 08:49 PM
RE: Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World
(14-01-2018 01:04 PM)kim Wrote:  Calling birds
French hens
Turtle doves
Partridges

... all on the "going extinct" list.

Fuck. I always kind of liked that song.
Kinda shitty that no one ever made a song about Polar bears.

Undecided

It seems like just 20 years ago, there would have been rallying cries to save the species like the ones you mentioned that were on the brink of extinction. I don't know what in the hell facilitated this attitude change, but it's like we suddenly just resigned ourselves to letting this shit fall by the wayside.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
16-01-2018, 09:10 PM
(16-01-2018 08:49 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  It seems like just 20 years ago, there would have been rallying cries to save the species like the ones you mentioned that were on the brink of extinction. I don't know what in the hell facilitated this attitude change, but it's like we suddenly just resigned ourselves to letting this shit fall by the wayside.

Perhaps instead, people have changed their minds about the usefulness of protesting.
Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-01-2018, 09:27 PM
(16-01-2018 08:49 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(14-01-2018 01:04 PM)kim Wrote:  Calling birds
French hens
Turtle doves
Partridges

... all on the "going extinct" list.

Fuck. I always kind of liked that song.
Kinda shitty that no one ever made a song about Polar bears.

Undecided

It seems like just 20 years ago, there would have been rallying cries to save the species like the ones you mentioned that were on the brink of extinction. I don't know what in the hell facilitated this attitude change, but it's like we suddenly just resigned ourselves to letting this shit fall by the wayside.

I'll be honest, I blame the echo chamber of fox news and the conservative talk radio. People started spending more time in their cars, stuck usually in traffic and they (the "hosts") played to their fears, their prejudices, and stereotypes. A direct result was the turning away from critical thinking and healthy skepticism.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-01-2018, 09:36 PM
(16-01-2018 09:10 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 08:49 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  It seems like just 20 years ago, there would have been rallying cries to save the species like the ones you mentioned that were on the brink of extinction. I don't know what in the hell facilitated this attitude change, but it's like we suddenly just resigned ourselves to letting this shit fall by the wayside.

Perhaps instead, people have changed their minds about the usefulness of protesting.
Huh

Sometimes I wonder if the ubiquity of the internet has stymied the culture of civic protest around the world. When everybody has a platform to air their grievances right at their fingertips, it can be easy, or even downright tempting, for most of us to make our voices heared and feel like we’re forwarding a cause without ever leaving the house.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
16-01-2018, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2018 10:32 PM by Kaneda.)
(16-01-2018 09:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll be honest, I blame the echo chamber of fox news and the conservative talk radio. People started spending more time in their cars, stuck usually in traffic and they (the "hosts") played to their fears, their prejudices, and stereotypes. A direct result was the turning away from critical thinking and healthy skepticism.

We had an English teacher my Junior year of High School who told us to listen to a certain AM talk radio show in the evening and make a list of all the rhetorical devices and logical fallacies they used during one segment.

I feel like, as teenagers, most of is were still pretty open-minded and not yet imbued with those political prejudices that make us susceptible to partisan hackery. So I think it was great that we were encouraged to think critically about these programs and their talking heads right from the start.
[+] 3 users Like Kaneda's post
16-01-2018, 10:19 PM
World always has been shit, world is shit and world will always be shit. Spend so much time worrying about the bad things that could but may never happen, you miss out on all the good things you can make happen.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
16-01-2018, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2018 11:05 PM by Kaneda.)
(16-01-2018 10:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  World always has been shit, world is shit and world will always be shit. Spend so much time worrying about the bad things that could but may never happen, you miss out on all the good things you can make happen.

Thank you for that. I mean it.

I love what you chose to do for your signature, by the way.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
16-01-2018, 11:56 PM
(14-01-2018 12:35 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I think over-population is one of the big causes of many of our present problems. It certainly underlies increased climate change, immigration issues and the rise of the new nationalism, global competition for jobs and resources, populations spreading into marginal and environmentally sensitive areas, world hunger and poverty, conflicts between nations and cultures and so on. And yet for some reason we seem to have tuned it out as an important issue.

But I guess you were asking about how such stresses affected us personally. I try not to get emotional about big problems, but I certainly spend a lot of time reading and thinking about them. They are the stories of our time and much more important than the fictions in which we are so often emotionally invested.

Completely agree: population is at the root of almost all other existential problems we face, including war (we're fighting over resources, most of the time). I let my membership to ZPG lapse long ago ... need to get back on the treadmill for that.

As for day-to-day stress, I've spent a while now learning how to let go of emptions and desires to control things I cannot control. It doesn't mean I've detached myself or become apathetic, but it does mean that I've decided that no matter what things happen outside my span of control, I'm going to take each day and make it the best I can for me. Where I can possibly contribute to a solution --even something so petty as posting my opinions in an online forum -- I'll do it, but not at the expense of my own emotional blance.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-01-2018, 12:01 AM
(14-01-2018 09:45 PM)Hobosapiens Wrote:  What I'd like to know is how many of you have children and actually fear for their lives... and by that I mean the quality of their future lives. My daughter is 25 and kicking ass in terms of doing her own thing, her own passion, and getting paid for it -- she may even make a living at it. But what will the world be like when she's my age?? I'm actually glad she has no plans to have children. How crazy is that? This all comes after seeing, finally, An Inconvenient Sequel, which is an incredibly captivating movie. I voted for Gore and was SO disappointed when he finally lost the bid. He would have done us well. But the movie made me think of my personal "holy trinity" of the world's problems today -- Overpopulation, Climate Change, and Religion. If we can't get a hold of all of those, we're in trouble.

<raises hand>

20-year-old son, he's grown into a fine young man, but I fear the world we'll be leaving him will be shit.

I don't know if he eventually wants children, and though I wouldn't mind being a grandpa, I'd be fine with him deciding otherwise.
17-01-2018, 01:47 AM
(16-01-2018 09:36 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 09:10 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Perhaps instead, people have changed their minds about the usefulness of protesting.
Huh

Sometimes I wonder if the ubiquity of the internet has stymied the culture of civic protest around the world. When everybody has a platform to air their grievances right at their fingertips, it can be easy, or even downright tempting, for most of us to make our voices heared and feel like we’re forwarding a cause without ever leaving the house.

There were protests during Arab Spring, in Ukraine few years back, this one big ass protest in Poland against further restricting abortion law, and few others like recently ended one made by medical service. USA too seen it share of protests after Trump victory if I recall correctly.

I would say that protest remained somewhat potent political tool.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post