Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2018, 06:07 AM
RE: Thread for Those Worried About the State of the World
(17-01-2018 01:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that protest remained somewhat potent political tool.

And double-edged sword. E.g. Charlottesville.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-01-2018, 06:21 AM
(17-01-2018 06:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-01-2018 01:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that protest remained somewhat potent political tool.

And double-edged sword. E.g. Charlottesville.

No need for Charlottesville. Protests can be easily shown as destructive events when media are in hands of ruling clique.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-01-2018, 08:46 AM
(16-01-2018 10:49 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 10:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  World always has been shit, world is shit and world will always be shit. Spend so much time worrying about the bad things that could but may never happen, you miss out on all the good things you can make happen.

Thank you for that. I mean it.

I love what you chose to do for your signature, by the way.

You're welcome.

Thanks. Nishi was an inspiration.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-01-2018, 10:21 AM
I worry that they will eventually have to give a shit.
My energies go toward taking care of my family and having a modest bit of space to relax.
I admit that I try not to think about the tide that will eventually find it's way to my door no matter what I do. And I really worry about my kids.

But I've found a certain peace in the attitude that George Carlin had.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
17-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Giving up and retreating into being "mere spectators" is an insufficient response when we are ourselves a part of the problem. In the case of climate change, for instance, we are all involved, so every little effort can make a little difference.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
17-01-2018, 12:47 PM
(16-01-2018 09:36 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if the ubiquity of the internet has stymied the culture of civic protest around the world. When everybody has a platform to air their grievances right at their fingertips, it can be easy, or even downright tempting, for most of us to make our voices heared and feel like we’re forwarding a cause without ever leaving the house.

But then you look at the way it's been harnessed in Iran and elsewhere to help organize protests. Matter of fact, the authorities in Iran recently shut down several apps because they were being used for planning the protests.

It's all in how you use it.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-01-2018, 11:19 AM
"Depression and anxiety afflict Americans who are concerned with the fate of the environment, according to a study of the mental health effects of climate change. Most hard-hit are women and people with low incomes who worry about the planet’s long-term health, said the study published this week in the journal Global Environmental Change. Symptoms include restless nights, feelings of loneliness and lethargy. 'Climate change is a persistent global stressor,' said Sabrina Helm, lead author of the paper and professor of family and consumer sciences at the University of Arizona."

"Signs of depression do not appear in people concerned about climate change’s risks to humanity but do appear in people worried about its impact on other species, plants and nature overall, the research said. The study pulled from 342 online surveys of respondents whose views broadly reflect the wider U.S. population, it said."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-c...ign=buffer
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post