Threat From Neighbor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: Threat From Neighbor
They're not his brand? Yeah, I know there are TONS of strangers that go walking along my property line smoking for no good reason...

Anyway, everyone has already given you excellent advise. I would try to look up his property and figure out if he owns it or is renting. If he's just renting, I'm sure the landlord would be *thrilled* to hear that his tenant is threatening violence against the neighbors. Thumbsup And presuming he has a right to impose his opinion of masculinity on perfect strangers, which isn't necessarily illegal, but it's kind of...idk, weird.

Where I'm from you can take action just from the threat alone. He doesn't even have to physically touch you.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 08:03 AM
(06-02-2014 04:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You gotta camouflage them. Mount them next to a downspout or under an eave. Deterrence sounds unlikely with this guy. He'll just take out his BB gun and shoot 'em. You want evidence when/if shit happens again.

Yeah, i feel like he'll flip out when he sees them. I've got some places in mind which won't be too obvious, kind of obfuscated, but unfortunately they won't be completely hidden.

I hope it all goes well installing them. I'm not very handy, and really want to get these things put up this weekend.
07-02-2014, 08:06 AM
(06-02-2014 09:20 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  They're not his brand? Yeah, I know there are TONS of strangers that go walking along my property line smoking for no good reason...

Anyway, everyone has already given you excellent advise. I would try to look up his property and figure out if he owns it or is renting. If he's just renting, I'm sure the landlord would be *thrilled* to hear that his tenant is threatening violence against the neighbors. Thumbsup And presuming he has a right to impose his opinion of masculinity on perfect strangers, which isn't necessarily illegal, but it's kind of...idk, weird.

Where I'm from you can take action just from the threat alone. He doesn't even have to physically touch you.

Exactly! "Not his brand". And y'know, I KNEW that was the answer he was going to give me.

As an added precaution I think I'm going to file a police report about the threat. Just to have it on file in case something further happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Slade's post
07-02-2014, 08:10 AM
(06-02-2014 09:07 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  This guy is controlling you thro your own thoughts and worries about him. Just get the ladder out and install the cameras and let him watch. Do it in broad daylight when it's easier to see.

If he sees me installing them, I'm pretty sure he'll come right over and confront me about it at that very moment. He'll probably say something like "That camera's pointed too high and is looking into my yard, you can't do that!" (despite his claims to have me in full view, from over his fence, chucking his cigarette butts back into his yard). To do this with the least amount of interference I'll be hanging those cameras after dark.

And, to be completely honest with everyone, the guy intimidates me. I'm not *afraid* of him (I stood my ground when he threatened me, didn't show any fear, and only minutes later did the gravity of the whole thing sink in), but he does intimidate me -- if that makes any sense.
07-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I would go to the police station and discuss it with themā€¦.ask for their advice on how to handle it. We had a whack job neighbor that was causing all sorts of troubleā€¦similar to this guy. The response from the police was that they were glad we brought it to their attention, so in the future if there is a call, they have an idea of the situation. They want to know where there are potential problems brewing, if no one ever calls, then they assume all is well. Ask if they can patrol on Saturday afternoon (or when you typically see him) and just swing by to check in with you. Also, they can pull a report on him and give you more details about any criminal past.

Make a friend with a police officer, have him drive by your house while on patrol and give you a wave, stop to say hello when you are outside, etc. Be friendly. Be sure to laugh and smile big, shake the officers hand. Put on a show. Let the neighbor see. If he thinks you are buddy-buddy with the police (the people he avoids) he might try to avoid you too.

Does the neighbor own or rent? If he rents- you might have some leeway by reporting it to the owner.

Make sure you put in a camera to cover the sides of your property that isn't on your neighbors side. Once he spots them, he will try circling around to the other side out of the cameras view to do something.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
09-02-2014, 04:12 AM
(04-02-2014 04:46 PM)Slade Wrote:  Hi everyone

I was hoping I could get some advice, feedback, or just a friendly ear for a problem I'm having with a next-door neighbor.

We bought our house back in '98. It was a fixer-upper (and still is, but we're getting there). One of our next-door neighbors is the loud, obnoxious type, with a bit of an anger problem. We typically keep to ourselves and don't bother anyone, but we've had problems with him over the years. The most prevalent of these is his decision to use my lawn as his dumping ground, be it for trash, for his dogs to crap on, or, his favorite, as an ashtray. For the past several years he's been chucking his cigarette butts into my yard. In addition, he has been suspected of acts of vandalism on our street, including a window on my house that was shot with a BB gun.

Because of his hostile personality, I try not to talk to him, and whenever I find one of the cigarette butts he's tossed into my yard, I toss it back into his yard, hoping he'll get the hint that anything he tosses into my yard I'll just toss back. And last night, while shoveling the snow off my sidewalk, he confronted me about it. He said that his wife had footage of me on their security camera tossing something into his yard (this must've been from back in the summer, but it's the first I'm hearing about it). I didn't back down: I told him that it was his cigarette butts and that anything he tosses into my yard I'll just toss back. He then claimed that they weren't his cigarette butts ("That's not my brand"), despite the fact that I've seen him do this. He just kept getting louder and angrier and I just kept repeating that anything he tosses in my yard will end up back in his. Finally, he told me that he's a man, and that I should've come over to talk to him about it, because that's how men handle things, and that I should be careful because I don't know anything about him (which isn't entirely accurate: I know he's a "man" who was arrested in 2011 for selling alcohol to minors and endangering their safety -- but I didn't say this because I knew it would just make him angrier, which didn't seem like a good idea). He finally told me that if I did it again, he'd kick my ass.

I don't feel like I've done anything wrong. You can't reason with the unreasonable, and if he was so much of a "man", he wouldn't have been tossing his cigarette butts and trash into my yard to begin with. But of course, now I'm worried about the possible vandalism, as seems to be his MO. To make matters worse, the neighborhood liar who lives across the street is now chummy with him, and he's been known to tell stories about people (at one point he was telling lies to me about my other next door neighbors, trying to work me up). The last thing I need is for this dude (who I haven't spoken to in 2 years) to tell the angry guy any stories.

And unfortunately, moving is not yet an option. The house still needs work done, and because it was such a fixer-upper our mortgage is cheap and allows us to send my son to a good, private (and expensive!) school. I just need a few more years.

I'm not expecting anyone will have any advice that will magically fix my problem. But any advice, any at all, would be appreciated. While I don't *fear* this neighbor, I *am* intimidated by him, and by what he could do. I stood my ground last night and didn't back down, but I feel like this is the worst the situation has been in the almost 16 years we've lived there. If I thought I could reason with him and work things out, I would, that's always preferable. I feel like this is a no-win situation.

Thanks for reading.

I agree with what Morondog said. Contact the police and get some sort of statement written down. This will help with reoccuring incidents since you'll have proof of some kind of antagonistic history. Cover your bases. Remember in court it's not what happened, it's what you can prove happened. The guy seems to have a record and your case against him will likely be stronger for this. If you're able to retain copies of statements then do that. Cops can be incompetent and "lose" documents at times.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post