Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2016, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 11:49 AM by WillHopp.)
Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...
As some of you may have read last month, I reunited with an old friend after like a five-year hiatus and we began having conversations/debates about what we believe. I'm sad to report that I think this friendship will not survive and is in fact over.

Despite numerous caveats that if it got too scary or frustrating for him that he had my OK to end the debate at any point, he assured me his faith wouldn't be rocked and our friendship would of course endure. After only five email exchanges he has chosen to flee by resorting to a ton of ad homs and then at the end chose to quote John 3:36 and threaten me with hell. Here is the last couple of paragraphs from his final email to me:

I am a simple man and don’t have the learnedness to provide to you the absurd amount of detail you demand of me. I rely on others who are scholars in their respective fields to help me with my bible studies. Try contacting or reading a truly respected biblical scholar, Dr Norm Geisler (PhD philosophy) who will challenge you and your beliefs.

I will simply present to you the only scripture I think you need to hear: John 3:36— “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

At the end of the day, God is asking you to pursue truth, not certainty.

I will not be your punching bag anymore.

I think you know how this is going to end. Perhaps you can just Click the Flame and be enlightened if you’re not sure.

And the first thing I thought was, threatening an atheist with hell is like threatening to punch me in my aura. What are some other funny similes for threatening an atheist with hell?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
RE: Threatening an atheism with hell is like ...
Sorry to hear that your friendship isn't holding up. Is it too late to agree to disagree and drop the matter?

It's more than a little worrying that somebody who would call you friend would worship a deity that would send you to eternal torment for not believing in it. Either he has not thought through all the implications of his beliefs or lives in terror of his god's wrath.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-01-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...
(02-01-2016 11:22 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  At the end of the day, God is asking you to pursue truth, not certainty.

[Image: 2r4lydk.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 11 users Like cactus's post
02-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Wow, especially this line, “I am a simple man and don’t have the learnedness to provide to you the absurd amount of detail you demand of me.”

I think your ex-friend speaks for a great many believer when confronted on their beliefs, by sticking their heads in the unquestioning sand their delusions can continue unchallenged and unexamined.

Anayway, threatening an atheist like me with hell concerns me just as deeply as when they threaten to stop praying for me, they might as well tell me that Santa is only going to bring me a sack of coal.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
When the Christian threatens an atheist with hell, they forget that Muslims also threaten us and them with hell. When the Muslim threatens the atheist with hell, they forget that Christians also threaten us and them with hell. To the atheist both threats are absurd. To us it is like Superman threatening a Star Wars fan with Kriptonite while Yoda threatens a Supereman fan with Darth Vader.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Sorry for your loss. I think you will miss him far more than he'll miss you because he has his imaginary friend who's always right no matter what. Sad

As for threating an atheist with hell...

Threatening atheist with hell is like threatening a worm with a dirt nap.

Threatening an atheist with hell is like to kick the woo out of him.

Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
02-01-2016, 12:27 PM
(02-01-2016 11:50 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Sorry to hear that your friendship isn't holding up. Is it too late to agree to disagree and drop the matter?

It's more than a little worrying that somebody who would call you friend would worship a deity that would send you to eternal torment for not believing in it. Either he has not thought through all the implications of his beliefs or lives in terror of his god's wrath.

They separate themselves from the threat by saying it's gods threat or punishment, not theirs. It's how they try to reason as well as a passive-aggressive assault.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
02-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Hell is so SCARY!!!!
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-01-2016, 01:05 PM
(02-01-2016 12:27 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 11:50 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Sorry to hear that your friendship isn't holding up. Is it too late to agree to disagree and drop the matter?

They separate themselves from the threat by saying it's gods threat or punishment, not theirs. It's how they try to reason as well as a passive-aggressive assault.

I get that. Usually they go one step further by saying that it isn't even god's fault. It's our fault that we chose to go to hell by refusing to believe. God loves us dearly and wants us to go to heaven but we've chosen to remove ourselves from his presence. Of course, the whole "wrath of God" quote makes that a complete lie.

What I don't get is why anybody would worship a creature that would torture their friends and relations. I'll take a heaping serving of 'removed from the divine presence' over an eternity of singing the praises of the bastard who's torturing my friends and relations any day.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-01-2016, 01:34 PM
I ultimately told him the ball was in his court and if he wanted this relationship to continue that it would be up to him to contact me. And I'll be looking for an apology before we move forward. The debates and conversations about religion/faith didn't have to continue and he knew that, but I think I scared him and he is worried for me so much so that he said I was brainwashed by some atheist handbook and people he would be ashamed to know. Unreal.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me