Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2016, 06:03 PM
RE: Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...
(02-01-2016 01:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I ultimately told him the ball was in his court and if he wanted this relationship to continue that it would be up to him to contact me. And I'll be looking for an apology before we move forward. The debates and conversations about religion/faith didn't have to continue and he knew that, but I think I scared him and he is worried for me so much so that he said I was brainwashed by some atheist handbook and people he would be ashamed to know. Unreal.

Sounds to me like he is getting worried about his own belief structure crumbling. I've seen it happen a few times. A brother admitted to me he was "Worried about the Australian problem" of how did all the marsupials get to Australia after the Flood, and this was just before he checked out of church for the last time!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post
02-01-2016, 06:10 PM
I don't have an analogy, but what has always struck me is that heaven is full of people I don't have any desire to be with in eternity. I'll take Genghis Khan and even Hitler over Pat Robertson, Saint Paul, Martin Luther, and my righteous relatives. And on top of that, to face an eternity where the lucky/blessed ones are forced to praise god 24-7…. It's just not the eternity for me.

The only eternity I think I'd enjoy is to be inside JS Bach's brain. I could get very happily lost in there.

At any rate, God is going to have a lot of explaining to do to have even the chance of me forgiving him for his abominably poor job of constructing existence.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
02-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Is like threatening to take a fish's snorkel away so he will drown!
[+] 6 users Like DerFish's post
02-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Threatening an atheist with hell is about as useful as trying to pee in the corner of a pool.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
(02-01-2016 06:12 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Is like threatening to take a fish's snorkel away so he will drown!

Laugh out load This is something DerFish would know, huh? Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Had a big laugh this afternoon. Milady and I had gone to a beach a couple of hours away and it was full of hermit crabs, so we brought some 40 of them back and gave them to a couple of kids that we have kind of adopted as grandkids. When we shook them out of the coke bottle we had brought them home in a couple were dead, and the 4 year old asked Mommy if the crabs were in Heaven now! She assured the kid that they must be!
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
02-01-2016, 07:53 PM
(02-01-2016 05:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm sorry the guy dumped your friendship. That kinda sucks. I doubt you used him as a punching bag. Really? What does that mean?? I can't imagine you being impolite. Others (like say earmuffs, I could)

Thanks, Moms. No, I did nothing rude at all and merely refuted his claims, though I suppose he might have taken that as rude. I might someday post all of our exchanges on my blog, once I'm convinced he won't ever see it. But that would show I just used critical thinking in our debates, etc. never called him names (had no reason to) and I was more than patient as he skirted questions and topics.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
02-01-2016, 08:46 PM
(02-01-2016 04:18 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 02:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I call plagiarism!
See post #4 of this thread Mr. Can_of_reheated Beans Dodgy

Yabut I added the part about a child talking to an adult because it's always fun to condescend to the faithful. Tongue

Say 10 Hail Fairies and 10 Mad Hatters and you shall be absolved of your sins my son.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-01-2016, 04:11 AM
It's like threatening a bachelor with marriage guidance counselling.
[+] 2 users Like Thewonderer's post
03-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Hmm...

It's like threatening to behead the Dullahan.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post